• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s the name of that game? Pledgeburgh?

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Sometimes I web search for things like “pledgeburgh adventure game” hoping that the search engine will direct me to the game I’m thinking of, but it never does. Does anyone know the spelling of the game I’m thinking off?

It was super indie game, where you were a detective, something about bloody murders, I don’t remember much but for some reason I remember the exact melody on some songs but that’s not going to help me much Tongue

More details: it was 8-bit style graphics. I played it maybe around 2003 but who knows how old it must have been

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

MobyGames has screenshots from the game.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-08-23

PM

Haha that’s the one! thanks!
So funny that for years I’ve searched, yet my search term has been so close to that weird name, I’m surprised Google didn’t lead me to the game somehow

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

For me this game (along with Larry Vales 2) was a revelation at the time. I really felt like I was playing a lost Sierra classic.

Are these playable on modern systems? I don’t think I finished either of the games I mentioned.

Pleurghburg: Dark Ages for keyword searchers in the future.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Venkman - 18 October 2020 06:52 PM

For me this game (along with Larry Vales 2) was a revelation at the time. I really felt like I was playing a lost Sierra classic.

Are these playable on modern systems? I don’t think I finished either of the games I mentioned.

It’s an older AGS game, so it can go any way really.
Most of them work, or can be tweaked to work in some compatibility mode. There can be some older AGS games which for whatever reason don’t work as intended.

With freeware games, there’s really nothing to lose but a few minutes of time to find out how it will turn out.

There is a very slowly progressing AGS engine project for ScummVM, so at least in theory, that can help with some older games in the future.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Mm, Jake McKirk… There is (or at least, was) a simple fix for any older AGS game.

To play older AGS games (possibly including the ancient ones) you usually just need to extract “ACwin.exe” from the latest (or modern, Windows you use compatible) version of AGS, put that file in the game folder with the “old” EXE and run acwin.exe. The game will start using whatever magic is inside acwin.exe to help it load up on newer operating systems.

Updated my post as I had incorrectly said replace EXE, but you just need acwin.exe in the same folder. I’m a little rusty with AGS these days so you may want to verify this on the forums there, or ask them for the “magic” ACwin trick that can run old AGS games.

It may also be necessary to copy over a more recent version of “winsetup.exe”. Some times the newer ACwin file needs to try and run the game with the newer settings available to it (like increased memory cache, newer audio settings etc). You may want to doublecheck the requirements for this over at AGS forums, I’m sure there are numerous posts about the “ACwin trick” there. If not, they still have people there that can undoubtedly find a way to run an old game.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

markymint - 20 October 2020 07:18 AM

To play older AGS games (including the ancient ones) you usually just need to extract “ACwin.exe” from the latest version of AGS, put that file in the game folder and rename it to the game’s EXE.

So if Pleurghburgh has a file called Pleurgh.EXE - you need to put the latest ACwin.EXE in that folder and rename it to Pleurgh.EXE (maybe you want to rename the original EXE rather than delete it).

That can’t work!
Maybe there are some special cases where that can do something, but there are plenty of games where the original exe contains all game data, so deleting or even renaming it basically means getting rid of the whole game.

I have few AGS games on my computer, I checked to be sure, and if you delete the original exe, then the only thing that remains are a bunch of standard AGS files, like setup files.

Can you give a real example of a game which actually works like that?

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

My bad, it’s not replace the EXE, it’s just put acwin.exe in the same folder as the EXE and run acwin.exe to play the game. I don’t know how or why acwin.exe can read and run the original EXE…I don’t really care to know tbh Tongue “Magic”, hence calling it a trick, I suppose. Recent version of winsetup.exe may still be needed as part of this process. I certainly don’t view it as a “hot fix” or anything. It may/may not work lol.

It worked for me before but I have not used AGS in several years now so a little rusty on the truth but I’ll remove the incorrect info in my original post - yes you’re right - deleting the game contents can’t be the right method. That said, AGS games contents can be compiled into DAT files and the EXE is NOT the game contents, and is literally just the acwin exe (Downfall 2016 I think I used the DAT method over compile contents into singular EXE, it is a choice when compiling and I have no doubt most AGS devs don’t use it, it was intended to help you distribute games on multiple floppy disks afterall!!), but this is a more modern method from the version 3 era of AGS that wasn’t available for Pleurghburgh (so you’re right, its contents are purely and only in the main EXE file).

Fatman and Downfall 2009 both run with this trick or one similar, not their original EXEs which have problems on newer OS’s. This occurred because the source files no longer exist so I needed to find a way to get them to run on newer systems. But as I say I can’t properly remember - I’ve not used AGS for a while now and made those EXE “trick” fixes 5-6 years ago? So this isn’t really forefront of my mind but I know in some capacity it works.

Maybe I just got lucky when I used it for some semi-old games. Fatman exe is from 2007 and Downfall from 2009…from the Windows era of AGS. Pleurghburgh’s is from 2001 when AGS was still very much a DOS based engine and the EXE’s ran in a DOS window, so some other trickery may be required, ie, copy in acwin.exe and then run that through DOSbox. Good luck!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top