• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Inspector Waffles

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

Hi everyone Smile

My name is Yann, I’m a solo dev behind Goloso Games. Maybe you played my previous game, Antenna Dilemma.
I’ve also been working on a game named Inspector Waffles for a couple of years now and I’ve just released a new demo, the one you maybe played during AdventureX this year. This demo is very close to what the game will be when it will be released, feel free to check out! (Links below)

Trailer

Story

Inspector Waffles is a police investigation point-and-click set in a world that combines Noir atmosphere and humour.
In the anthropomorphic animal-populated city of Cat Town, the body of the rich industrialist Fluffy was found after a fatal fall.
But why didn’t this beloved cat land back on his paws?
This is what Inspector Waffles, a witty feline a previous case has left damaged, will try to discover in a wild journey full of  extravagant characters.

Inspector Waffles is an adventure game in which you play a real detective: It is armed with your precious notebook that you will be able to trace the murderer.
Inspect, interrogate, and confront the citizens of Cat Town with the inconsistencies of their statements on a backdrop of pixelart and jazzy music.

In this demo, you will discover the first investigation of the story, the game system with notebook and clues, and several scenes to visit and explore.

Demo link

Steam, itch.io, gamejolt.

Inspector Waffles is planned for a Summer 2020 release, on PC.

And if you any questions or feedbacks, don’t hesitate at all Smile
Thanks for checking it out! Smile

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Glad to read that! I really enjoyed your previous demo and was looking forward to playing more of it. Best of luck with the rest of your game Smile

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For those that are entranced with retro pixel graphics, this is your game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Antenna Dilemma was pretty good!  Look forward to your new game as well

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

The transition between the cinematics and the pixel art feels a bit jarring (I like the look of both, it’s just that my brain somehow doesn’t fit the two styles together right) but otherwise this looks great! Strong aesthetics, a design focussed on a solid detective mechanic, and cats!

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

Hi! Thanks for your nice replies, I really appreciate Smile
I did some progress recently, I have a couple of news to share, so I try to summarize everything into this post. Have a good reading!

AdventureX!

As you maybe know Inspector Waffles was part of the official selection of AdventureX, in London this year.
I spent a wonderful weekend showcasing the last Inspector Waffles demo to this audience full of adventure games lovers.

I was incredibly lucky to have Charles Cecil, the Broken Sword series creator. Broken Sword 1 is my favorite point&click; ever, seeing Charles Cecil playing my game was, at the time, very exciting and very terrifying to observe Grin

AdventureX went very well. It was very interesting to have useful feedbacks from experienced players and journalists. I’ll be there next year (probably not showcasing this time Smile ).

New locations : neighboorhood/police station/...

I’m working for quite a long time on the end of the first chapter because they are so many new things to do/find/gather:  8 new people to interrogate, 10 new items, 12 new locations, a secondary quest… It’s big, it will be more than one hour of gameplay, probably two hours. I’m very close to the end, polishing dialogs and interactions between all these locations.

You’ll be able to go from some place to another with Waffles’ car.

End of chapter 1 is quite soon, I planned to finish it during february. Chapter 2 and the epilogue will be faster to do (also because most of the locations are done), so I’m still planning to release the full game in 2020.
Meanwhile, let me introduce you chapter 2 name: “There is more than one way to skin a cat”. (Not the best name’s choice for translators, but… they’ll be fine Grin).

Gamejolt featuring!

I’m very happy to share that Inspector Waffles is on Gamejolt front page for a couple of days. If you didn’t try the demo yet, it’s maybe the best time to do it Wink

Demo link

Inspector Waffles is planned for a Summer 2020 release, on PC.

And if you any questions or feedbacks, don’t hesitate at all!

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Oh! Nice to see the set-up you had at AdvX! I applied myself, but it was pretty naive without ready Demo to do that Smile Do you have any more photos of inner life of AdventureX?

P.S. What was your handle at Discord, if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve seen you, but don’t remember where Grin Was a bit off for a while Smile

GRUNND.COM
A game, occasional podcast.

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

Olafs_GRUNND - 20 January 2020 09:39 AM

Oh! Nice to see the set-up you had at AdvX! I applied myself, but it was pretty naive without ready Demo to do that Smile Do you have any more photos of inner life of AdventureX?

P.S. What was your handle at Discord, if you don’t mind me asking. I’ve seen you, but don’t remember where Grin Was a bit off for a while Smile

Hi Olaff, sorry I don’t have others photos to share because I didn’t take more than that Smile
I think I saw you on Lord Winklebottom’s discord. Sending a message!

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

​​Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of news, I’m, of course, still working a lot on Inspector Waffles and I’m glad to share some progress I’ve made during these last months.

Chapter one is ready?

I told you a couple a months ago that chapter 1 would be maybe finished for february and I’m happy to say… I’m just a little late Smile I made a new cinematic (it was actually planned for later) and a lot of new scenes. Everything is tested, I’m very close to start to work on the second and final part of the game. It’s going to be way faster to finish the game now.

In the end of chapter 1, you’ll still meet new characters and go to new places. And maybe you’ll find out more about the whole conspiracy Wink

Waffles will also go to the grocery store. Surprisingly, he has to eat like everyone else Smile (Sorry for the bad text compression Frown )

​​

And some other news to announce?

Not yet unfortunately, but it’s just a matter of time. I’ll share some very cool stuffs soon Smile
Meanwhile, don’t forget that wishlist the game on Steam will help us a lot to add some visibility. Thanks Smile

​Have a good stay, and take care of yourselves.

Demo link

And if you any questions or feedbacks, don’t hesitate at all!

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

Hi everyone,

What a strange time we are living. I’m stuck at home, but fortunately this lockdown doesn’t affect Inspector Waffles’ development. Stay safe everyone.

Wireframe article

I’m happy to share that I did a 2 pages-interview In the 35th Wireframe Issue: I talked about Inspector Waffles and the advantages/problems you can have as a solo indie dev. It’s a really nice read, you can download it for free here, page 48-49.

New locations

This month I added five new locations (with interactions and dialogs) and finished the previous cinematic that I shared last month,  it’s way more than a regular month. How is that happened? Well, I’m getting faster at making art for this game, and the lockdown gave me more time to work on it (no commute anymore!). It’s better to stay focused on game dev than thinking about everything else these days Smile

End of the first part

I did a lot of progress this month and I’m getting closer to finish the first part of the game, but the last 1% is taking a lot of time as you can expect (I’m no exception in the indie dev world Grin). If I can tell something, without any spoilers: The feeling of seeing this first part coming to its end is incredibly satisfying, in my point of view. I hope you’ll enjoy it, as much as I like writing and making it.

See you soon, and take care of you.

Demo link

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

That looks a good piece! And thanks for linking to the free PDF - Wireframe is an excellent magazine and I haven’t been able to get the paper version since lockdown.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Compliments on the game, I like cats and comedy so it might be up my alley.

It must be difficult writing comedy in a foreign language. Have you thought about getting some help from a native speaker? The English is fine but there are some improvements that could be made. For example, “two pineapples bought, one free” would normally be “buy two pineapples, get one free”. I just think it’s important to get the wording perfect, especially in comedy. Hell, I’ll even offer to proofread if you need someone.

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

Thanks a lot to both of you!

Phlebas, I agree, this is an excellent magazine and I am very happy to see my game in it, really proud of it Smile And glad you like it!

Vehelon, you are right, my english is not perfect and having a native speaker is mandatory in the process of making an adventure game. Fortunately, Philip, who does the music of Inspector Waffles, is from England and proofreads my dialogs. The “two pineapples mistake” is from a part of the game he hasn’t proofreaded yet. Thanks for the help anyway, really appreciate Smile If I need any help at some point, if we don’t have time to do everything, I’ll definitively ask you!
And if you like cats and comedy, this is a game for you indeed Smile

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Congratulations on your progress and on that article, and thanks for the link!

Joined 2018-03-04

PM

Nicky Larson, thanks again for your support Smile

Hi everyone,

What’s new this month? Well, I’ve just released a major update on the demo! These last months, I’ve listened to all of your feedbacks and most of them were very useful (thanks a lot Smile ).

You’ll find some of the things you’ve suggested in this new version. Hope you’ll enjoy it!

* Polished pixel art (it’s the last time I’m polishing the old scenes, I swear Smile )
* New pixel font

* New inventory system.

* All bugs I knew are fixed!
* Some tiny changes on dialogs.

Feel free to share any feedbacks about this new version. And wishlist the game on Steam will be really appreciated Thumbs Up

See you soon, and take care of you.

Demo link

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

A love letter and an insult letter in the same inventory?
Uh-oh.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top