• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Telltale shutting down ??

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Reports going around at the moment that Telltale may be closing or big layoffs.

That it may have filed for Bankrupcy.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/21/17888258/telltale-games-layoffs

Hope it’s not true no matter how I feel about their more recent games.

Edit: Seems that they have laid off most of their staff from 250 down to 25, probably just to got the last Walking Dead season done, but WOlf 2 and Stranger Things have been canned.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

A shame if true.

Some sources I’m reading say the deal with Netflix for the Stranger Things adaptation fell through some time ago.

At least they do also say that they’ll see the Walking Dead final season out of the door, but that’ll be it.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

No official statement yet, but the co-founder subtext suggests… it’s over. Completely.

Today, I’m mostly saddened for the people who are losing their jobs at a studio they love. And I’m also saddened at the loss of a studio that green-lit crazy ideas that no one else would consider. I’m comforted a bit knowing there are now so many new talented people and studios creating games in the evolving narrative genre.

Words from the co-founder: https://www.brunerhouse.com/blog/2018/9/21/telltale-closure

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

That’s cute, considering he was suing them and may have helped shut the place down.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/15/17467166/telltale-lawsuit-kevin-bruner

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Download all the games you bought off their website ASAP.

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

Wow. Truly a sad day for our community.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Woah. That’s pretty severe and horrible for all involved.

Seems that something massive occurred, you don’t go from struggling a bit but reinventing yourself, launching new games with 250 people to fully closing down suddenly. Has to be either some financing pulling back, the lawsuit hitting hard or something else but this is too sudden to not have a fundamental base that made it sudden. Something is off..

Sad to hear regardless, they’ve certainly made an impact on the market and created games that were loved by quite a few.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

You never want people to lose their jobs, but really this wouldn’t be the worst news overall. Telltale desperately needs a reset from the bloated behemoth it had become, and even bankruptcy doesn’t preclude it from coming back leaner and much more focused, which it never should have stopped being in the first place. And even if this is the end for Telltale, talented new studios often reform out of the ashes of dead ones. It’s the people that matter, not the company logo, after all.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

According to this, all their games post TWD S1, except Minecraft, lost money. Looks like the bankruptcy was a long time coming.

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Just to note, folks are already throwing personal insults at the bruner guy and blaming him for the closure when the true reason isn’t know at this point. Don’t be that person. You’ll make us all look stupid. (I doubt anyone from this community would ... but clearly ... riled fans come from all over)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Kurufinwe - 21 September 2018 05:22 PM

According to this, all their games post TWD S1, except Minecraft, lost money. Looks like the bankruptcy was a long time coming.

Oof. Tough business adventure games.

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Poor Ike…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

am i the only happy person for hearing this news!

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I hope everyone there finds a new home. It’s always a shame when these things happen.

Telltale started off great, I bought every game they made up until about Season2 of TWD, but dropped off as they were getting a bit samey. They were not making advances on their engine and the games were coming up for sale so freqently it seemed pointless buying them at full price.

I think I have about 3 seasons of their games unplayed that I got free on PSN or Xbox Games with Gold. (Batman, Tales of the Borderlands, Game of Thrones).

Still I was looking forward to a new Wolf among us.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

This just in - Telltale has confirmed on its Twitter account to begin a majority studio closure Frown

So, does that means that is it? I mean, what is the difference between a majority studio closure and a “real” closure? I am not a native speaker so I might not understand the nuances between the two…

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Joined 2003-09-13

PM

Telltale has now issued a tweet confirming that all but 25 employees have been let go, with the remainder staying “to fulfill the company’s obligations to its board and partners.”

Maybe those 25 people should just walk out if that’s who they’re staying on for. The people that just shuffled out 200 of their friends. Damn man, I wouldn’t hang around lol.

I’d imagine a “majority closure” is exactly like what LucasArts experienced, that was also a majority closure, but a few stayed on, as things still need to be dealt with. Some sales do still come in, etc etc. Someone needs to make sure things still reach GOG.com etc lol.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top