• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

danigar - 26 April 2021 04:07 PM

I finally stopped playing Disco Elysium. I went back to it after a short break and it made it even worse. Part of me definitely likes a lot about it, the style and the whole “inner universe” thing going on, but I guess right now I’m not in the mood for it.

I decided to change to something simpler and more traditional in Whispers of a Machine which I had on my list for the longest time and never had the chance. I really liked Kathy Rain which I played last year so hopefully I will like this as well Smile

I haven’t really delved into the Thought Cabinet part of the inner universe yet, which is keeping things manageable on this first play through. I usually don’t check these things, but I stumbled upon some encouraging information: Turns out the game is ‘only’ 20-30 hours long, depending on how many side quests you choose to do. Given the density, I was expecting the somewhere in the 50-70 range. I think the scope of the game is directed much more inward than outward: The majority of the exploration is in that Inner Universe you mentioned. That’s the greater world that you explore. Externally, I bet most of the game takes place in the same area it begins, maybe opening up a few small locations as you go. It’s a giant bite sized murder mystery!

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I decided to change to something simpler and more traditional in Whispers of a Machine which I had on my list for the longest time and never had the chance. I really liked Kathy Rain which I played last year so hopefully I will like this as well Smile

You should like WOAM as much as Kathy. I know I did, although they are pretty different.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

I liked Whispers of a Machine better. When it comes to central character’s development, Kathy Rain was more ambitious, but failed to produce a strong and believable character arc. Also, I think WoaP’s setting was more interesting and had more original ideas, whereas the world of Kathy Rain wasn’t original at all.

But, both games are good. Nice, pulpy adventures, generally not very ambitious, but enjoyable. Solid puzzles throughout both games.

Disco Elysium is, of course, a master-piece. Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing Whispers of A Machine for a second time, and I must say, I am enjoying the game, I could not agree more, the main character is very interesting, love the special abilities. I’m sure the developers wants to hear it’s a better game than the last one they did, who wants to be a one hit wonder.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 29 April 2021 07:10 PM

I am playing Whispers of A Machine for a second time, and I must say, I am enjoying the game, I could not agree more, the main character is very interesting, love the special abilities. I’m sure the developers wants to hear it’s a better game than the last one they did, who wants to be a one hit wonder.

Heart

Agree… good story, good lore, interesting characters and gameplay

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Agree… good story, good lore, interesting characters and gameplay

Very true, won lots of well deserved Aggies. I am going to try for a different ending other than the one I got on my first play through of the game. I am so looking forward to their next game, should be even better!

Heart

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m playing Primordia For the one and a halfth time. Started it awhile ago, but flablubbled the trap/destroy Gamma puzzle, with no saved games other than the Autosave. I didn’t feel like continued down the consolation prize route, and didn’t feel like starting over right away, so here I am back at it seven months later, starting from the beginning.

I like it a lot. The puzzles are really well integrated, with a nice and balanced difficulty. You’re never stuck for too long, but you still feel smart for solving.
I’m not really a fan of this ‘post-Matrix neo-Biblical’ sci-fi style of writing, where there’s a pretension of profound importance attached to everything just because everything bears a Biblical or religiously referential name, but despite this I am still enjoying the story and dialogue.
Also, Crispin’s voice actor—he’s Joey from Blackwell, right? Sometimes it’s too difficult not to hear it. Some robotic vocal distortion would have been nice, to distinguish the two very similar characters (in role and personality) from one another.

EDIT: Okay, so I’m pretty far into the game, and so far it is really really good. But, I feel the need to point something out, and that is: Oil isn’t sticky! Seriously, who the fudge decided that oil was sticky, and would act a suitable adhesive to attach a presumably heavy little bomb to a vertical metal surface?
This isn’t even moon logic—it’s complete nonsense! In every other adventure game I have ever played, and in real life (but who cares about that), oil is used for it’s properties as a slippery substance. Probably more often, in fact, than for it’s properties as a fuel. And now all of a sudden, here’s Primordia, wasting an hour of my time because I couldn’t figure out that in this universe, oil is all of a sudden sticky.
Is this like the Monkey Wrench puzzle in Monkey Island 2? Is there a colloquialism in some other region of the world where oil is a synonym for Tangy Taffy or Elmer’s Glue or chewed bubble gum or Velcro (whoever invented shoelaces really shouldn’t have bothered) or Silly Putty or Silly Sticky Slappy Hands?
Poppycock and fiddlesticks.

Otherwise, good game. Good enough that it can subvert the laws of adhesiveness, something I take very seriously, and I’ll still keep playing it.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 April 2021 11:30 AM

Is there a colloquialism in some other region of the world where oil is a synonym for Tangy Taffy or Elmer’s Glue or chewed bubble gum or Velcro (whoever invented shoelaces really shouldn’t have bothered) or Silly Putty or Silly Sticky Slappy Hands?

Are you the only person in the world who hasn’t sea birds after oil spills?

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am Spaniard but as far as I know, oil can be a liquid for cooking which is obviously not sticking and petroleum which CAN be sticking, and which one is more likely to be found leaking from an spaceship?

I am sorry but Primordia is one of my beloved games, I consider Mark Yohalem a friend even virtual as he was so helpful translating the game into Spanish and so kind to send me a fluffy handmade Crispin to my home from US for the translation.

So don’t make me send S.C.R.A.P.E.R after you, Baron_Blubba!!!! Tongue

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Pyoro-2 - 30 April 2021 04:57 PM
Baron_Blubba - 30 April 2021 11:30 AM

Is there a colloquialism in some other region of the world where oil is a synonym for Tangy Taffy or Elmer’s Glue or chewed bubble gum or Velcro (whoever invented shoelaces really shouldn’t have bothered) or Silly Putty or Silly Sticky Slappy Hands?

Are you the only person in the world who hasn’t sea birds after oil spills?

I’m assuming you’re missing a tongue twisting ‘seen’ in that sentence. No, I haven’t seen seabirds after spills. Are they sticky?
Does anyone really associate the word ‘oil’ with ‘adhesive’? Is no one familiar with the term ‘oil slick?’
Has no one else played *the seminal* Dos game Wacky Wheels (Apogee), wherein they must be avoided at all costs? Do we not spray canola/olive/vegetable/avocado/coconut oil on our cookie sheets and pans so that they *don’t* stick?
Aside: The panda in Wacky Wheels is so darn cute.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sticky bird Frown

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Sticky as in: If it weighed as much as a small bomb and you threw it at a metal door, it would adhere to the door?

I dunno, man, I understand where you’re coming from, but look at the oil in the game. It doesn’t seem to have a sticky viscosity, it just seems like a puddle of oil. Not thick petroleum jelly (which is sticky in a ‘hard to wash off’ sense, but not an ‘I think I’ll use this to hang pictures in my living room’ sense), but thick like a black puddle of slippery goop.

Conversations like this are why adventure game forums are so much fun.

By the way, Walas, please don’t take my oily criticisms as indictments against Primordia as a whole. Like I said, it’s a very good game so far I just got to Metropol and had my Bible forcefully appropriated and discarded. I even think that the rest of the puzzle involving the sticky oil was very nice. The oil itself was…oh gosh, here it comes, I’m so sorry…just a sticking point with me.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 April 2021 09:17 PM

Sticky as in: If it weighed as much as a small bomb and you threw it at a metal door, it would adhere to the door?

I dunno, man, I understand where you’re coming from, but look at the oil in the game. It doesn’t seem to have a sticky viscosity, it just seems like a puddle of oil. Not thick petroleum jelly (which is sticky in a ‘hard to wash off’ sense, but not an ‘I think I’ll use this to hang pictures in my living room’ sense), but thick like a black puddle of slippery goop.

Conversations like this are why adventure game forums are so much fun.

By the way, Walas, please don’t take my oily criticisms as indictments against Primordia as a whole. Like I said, it’s a very good game so far I just got to Metropol and had my Bible forcefully appropriated and discarded. I even think that the rest of the puzzle involving the sticky oil was very nice. The oil itself was…oh gosh, here it comes, I’m so sorry…just a sticking point with me.

Don’t worry, I was just overreacting for fun Smile

I know you will become another Primordia fan when you finish the game, and if you don’t, no problem, I now where Scraper lives… hahaha

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2021-05-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 30 April 2021 09:17 PM

It’s a terrible puzzle. But in many ways it’s an elegant example of why “moon logic” is slippery (!) to define.

The puzzle is a lame reference to Saving Private Ryan’s “sticky bomb,” in which axle grease is used as an adhesive. But it’s completely counterintuitive because even with that (dated) cultural referent, no one thinks of grease as an adhesive. And even if someone gets the reference, what’s the point?

I think the origin of how it came to be was that I felt the dripping tube in the UNNIIC room was too much of a red herring—you can’t have a large, centrally located, animated hotspot that serves no function at all. (Vic, the artist behind Primordia and Strangeland, sometimes lets flights of fancy overcome hardnosed practicality.) So I wanted to work it into a puzzle, and also make the use of the bomblet slightly more complicated. One thing led to another—a somewhat inapt hotspot, a very inapt cultural referent, and a slippery puzzle… so it goes. Smile

The latter part of the game is a little more rigorous in its logic, though it has the single puzzle that most often causes players to get stuck.

(And yes, Wacky Wheels is a magnum opus. All us kids who couldn’t afford a SNES but managed to play it on some school computer…)

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

For you who loves Shakespeare… “To get sticked or to get stuck, that is the question…”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top