• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nancy Drew adventure related game recommandations

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-07-09

PM

Hello everyone,,
I’ve been digging the point n click detective adventure games and solving puzzles but i really need more games like this

I did play Gone home but uhhh the thing is you don’t have any people to talk to and you just find journeys and the game is short if you just go for the attic and there’s la noire too but that doesn’t count as point n click adventures…

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

If you like detective stories, you might like some of the Sherlock Holmes games from Frogwares.
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin (aka Sherlock Nemesis)
Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper
Testament of Sherlock Holmes

The above all allow a 3rd person mode.
At least the first three allow point-and-click in the 3rd person mode.
The first person mode uses keyboard and mouse.
I don’t remember if Testament was 100% point-and-click. It might have used WASD keys for moving.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments is also good, though I don’t remember how point-and-click it was.
I thought the latest one, The Devil’s Daughter, was a disappointment and wouldn’t recommend it to a Nancy Drew fan.

Most of the above are currently 75% off at GOG so a good time to get them
https://www.gog.com/game/sherlock_holmes_the_awakened_remastered
https://www.gog.com/game/sherlock_holmes_nemesis_remastered
https://www.gog.com/game/sherlock_holmes_versus_jack_the_ripper
https://www.gog.com/game/sherlock_holmes_crimes_and_punishments

Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring is also on sale.
One of Frogwares’ early games, it is 100% point-and-click.
https://www.gog.com/game/sherlock_holmes_secret_of_the_silver_earring
I have to warn you there is a dog with X-ray vision in this game, and you have to sneak past him. It may take quite some time. Whenever I think of replaying this game, I remember the dog and play something else.

There were some Agatha Christie adventure games published by Dreamcatcher/Adventure Company a few years back, but I don’t know if they run on Windows 10.
Agatha Christie: And then there were None
Agatha Christie: Mystery on the Orient Express
Agatha Christie: Evil Under the Sun
These are 100% point-and-click.

Agatha Christie: The ABC Murders (2016 version)—I didn’t think it was as good as the earlier Agatha Christie adventure games (different developer too), but it is point-and-click and should work on Windows 10.

Another game is
The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief (now sold as The Raven Remastered)
also 100% point-and-click and the updated version should run on Windows 10.

The Broken Sword games are very popular on this forum.
The 3rd one in the series is not point-and-click and probably works better with a gamepad than with the keyboard.
The 4th one is sort of a weird combination of keyboard and mouse.
1. Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars (aka Circle of Blood)
2. Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror
5. Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse

Then there is the Secret Files series
Secret Files: Tunguska
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
Secret Files 3
Secret Files: Sam Peters
(very short compared to the other 3)

Maybe I’ll think of some more detective games later on.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Go for Rose Tattoo and Serrated Scalpel.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Luhr28 - 10 July 2020 10:47 PM

Yes. And I highly recommend Detective Di and the Silk Rose murders. Also Grim Fandango has a great film-noir plot.

Maybe Ace Attorney and Blackwell games?

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-11-25

PM

Marcella Moon: Secrets on the Hill is based on books from the same author as the author of the Nancy drew book series. The game itself is also directly inspired by the Nancy Drew game series so could be what you’re looking for. The first game is out now on Steam and a second game is in development:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1330630/Marcella_Moon_Secret_on_the_Hill/

If you wanted another murder mystery with a historical angle you can also try Detective Di: The Silk Rose Murders which I would also highly recommend.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/792040/Detective_Di_The_Silk_Rose_Murders/

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2017-02-20

PM

Serrated Scalpel is a classic; I wish both were available freeware.

Joined 2017-02-20

PM

Does anybody know if there is a third-person point and click based on the movie, “Nancy Drew…Reporter”?

Also, how about more Hardy Boys games?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

If you liked Nancy Drew, then you should really give Miss Clue a try. There are 5 games in the series so far and they even share the Nancy Drew voice actress:

http://www.missclue.com

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2018-03-21

PM

Any idea where I can find “The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes : The Case of the Rose Tattoo”?

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I believe it is on sale at GOG right now.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-02-20

PM

rtrooney - 27 March 2021 03:50 PM

I checked - lots of Holmes games on there but not that one.

What’s “The Hounds of Baskervilles”? Is it an old Lucas Arts title?

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I don’t think Rose Tattoo and Serrated Scalpel are currently available as downloads (or at least not legally). ebay’s probably your best bet - you can pick up a copy on CD then run it using ScummVM.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Phlebas - 12 April 2021 05:43 AM

I don’t think Rose Tattoo and Serrated Scalpel are currently available as downloads (or at least not legally).

“Is it piracy? Yeah, sure. But so what? Most of the game makers aren’t living off the revenue from those old games anymore. Most of the creative teams behind all those games have long since left the companies that published them, so there’s no way the people who deserve to are still making royalties off them. So go ahead—steal this game! Spread the love!”
  — Tim Schafer

(not advocating anything of course, just posting a quote.)

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Neuromancer.utopian - 12 April 2021 12:39 AM
rtrooney - 27 March 2021 03:50 PM

I checked - lots of Holmes games on there but not that one.

What’s “The Hounds of Baskervilles”? Is it an old Lucas Arts title?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/hound-of-the-baskervilles

If it’s this one, don’t bother. I owned it once. It’s not a game, it’s something they called “a multimedia experience” in those days. And a pretty bad one, just some pics and text.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

It’s just occurred to me that nobody has mentioned Carol Reed yet. A whole series of games about a twentysomething English girl who moves to Sweden and becomes a detective - if you’re a Nancy Drew fan these are almost certainly the kind of thing you’re looking for!
http://www.mdna-games.com/

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Good Detective Adventure Games:
Kathy Rain - (Director’s Cut version is releasing soon so you may want to wait for that)

Whispers of a Machine - (sci-fi detective game from same dev as Kathy Rain)

Blackwell Series - (paranormal mystery games, you solve ghost murder cases)

Hotel Dusk & The Last Window - (hard boiled detective games, required NDS to play)

Westwood’s Blade Runner - (little puzzle solving, instead you gather clues and make decisions that influence the story)

Jenny LeClue Detectivu - (incredibly charming Nancy Drew-ish cast of characters & mystery, puzzle challenge is mild but a great game)

Ace Attorney Series - (classic mystery adventure series, court battle puzzle mechanics, must play)

Ace Investigations Series - (spinoff of ace attorney, more detective mechanics, requires NDS)

Touch Detective Series - (cute and fun mystery adventures, not mind blowing but very charming, on NDS and mobile devices)

The Shivah - (light puzzle solving, good mystery story w/ strong emotional core)

Blacksad Under The Skin - (anthropomorphic detective mystery, light puzzles via combining clues to make deductions, was buggy at launch so be warned)

Another Code Series - (emotional mystery stories w/ science fiction elements, personal favorites of mine by same dev as Hotel Dusk, requires NDS & Wii to play)

Lamplight City (haven’t actually played this one but it looks good, worth checking out)

The Raven Remastered - (detective mystery with a classic cinematic vibe well balanced, moderate, puzzle challenge and a fun story)

AI: The Somnium Files - (Mind bending detective mystery, inventive puzzle mechanic where you enter suspects dreams, fantastic game)

Titanic Adventure Out of Time - (spy/detective mystery where the main character travels back in time to undo his failed mission, really cool game, solid puzzle challenge)

Ghost Trick Phantom Detective - (masterpiece game from Shu Takumi, creator of the Ace Attorney series, available on NDS and mobile devices)

Professor Layton Series (I actually haven’t played these since it’s mostly independent logic puzzles & riddles rather than narrative driven problem solving. Still many people enjoy this series so it’s worth checking out)

Detective Grimoire & Tangle Tower - (very well crafted & entertaining detective mysteries, challenge is light to moderate but the puzzles are extremely fun and the games ooze personality)

Colonel’s Bequest - (open ended detective adventure, very retro but it holds up as one of Sierra’s best, available on GOG)

Spirit Hunter Series - (macabre paranormal mystery series, kind of like a dark & messed up version of Blackwell because you rescue spirits, avoid if you dislike disturbing content)

Still Life (detective/murder mystery game with challenging puzzles, good game but be forewarned it ends on a cliffhanger)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top