• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #65 - Keepsake

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I just finished section four, and as I have read in previous posts, I have all the items from the library so I can proceed with Section 5, the final one, and confront the infamous observatory puzzle… I intend to finish the game on Monday night.

I had serious problems with the oracle puzzle as I was getting to the stone from the start everytime and I didn’t know what I was doing wrong because I was pretty sure I had understood the mechanics: lighting or not the dragons according to the lines ligthen in some stones. So I used the hints and it was exactly the way I was doing it, so I thought it was a bug of the game and I used the solve puzzle hint. After that, I looked it up in an Spanish walkthrough and the author described the same problem, so I watched a Youtube walkthrough and then I realized that there was no problem in reaching the starting stone as you must continue the path of the previous stone with lines, islands can repeat themselves. I don’t know, that was confusing for me…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I’ve finished the game.
I had the Forge and Herbarium left to do. The Herbarium was a nice little logic puzzle, marred by a lot of toing an froing. The Forge had 3 challenges. The brazier lighting was straight forward. The path lighting suffered from the same troubles as the Telescope puzzle, IMHO. Working out the rules of the pattern was harder than executing the solution. The central dias puzzle ( 9 glyphs ) had me stumped, and I needed help. It seemed clear to me that I had to expose the 4 glyphs that spelled FIRE. After about 15 minutes (these ‘turning the lights on’ type of puzzles aren’t exactly my strength), nothing happened. I did this twice. I still do not understand the solution of clicking on 5 glyphs, so maybe someone could explain it to me.
After that, it was straightforward to the end. I liked that it wasn’t a massive brain teaser, and you could sit back and ‘enjoy the show’ so to speak. I don’t think it was a great surprise to anyone that it was about understanding the relationship between Celeste and Nathaniel. But it was a surprise to me that Celeste died. When you think about it, this game did tackle a number of darker issues—bullying, grief, loss, and isolation. I thought the end scene of Celeste dying alone was especially poignant.
This game holds up quite well. The DVD played seamlessly on my brand new Win10. Since the game had crashes on Steam, it might be worth it to pick up a cheap used copy of the game to play rather than streaming it.
The Academy environment was fun to explore and the puzzles were mostly a strength. I would say that the story was as unique as I’ve come across, and I wasn’t put off by all the dialogue as I usually am with 3rd person games. I also like that I didn’t have to work my way through a pile of inventory.
All in all , another fun community play through for me. Many thanks to LadyK for hosting.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My game also crashed during the credits, just after the cast of actors went by.  Other than a freeze in the wine cellar and one when I first tried to use one of the blue portals, the Steam version ran well on my iMac in 10.10.  The Mac version was never on DVD, so I’m grateful that I finally got to play it.

Walas,
In the oracle puzzle, you had to ignore the line code of the first stone when you came back to it the second time.  Otherwise you would just start circling around to those first 3 stones again.  Each time you came to a stone with a different code, that code became the one to use.  I did circle a couple of times before I figured that out, but it was still one of my favorite puzzles just because of the views.

Colpet,
With the forge puzzle, I thought I had made a mistake when Lydia said, “It’s not working!” until I realized I had to fool around with the side pedestals.  That part took a lot of my time because I didn’t know the objective, but once I saw one path light up, I managed to do the other

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Regarding the Forge puzzle. I had solved the paths and the braziers up on the wall first, and left the central dias glyph puzzle last. I don’t think it mattered what order you did them. When I followed the WT solution, I got the Eternal Flame. I just didn’t understand the logic of the WT solution—clicking on 5 blank tiles for a 4 character word. I would have thought exposing the 4 glyphs that made up the word ‘FIRE’ would have made more sense.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Hmmm.  I don’t remember the number of circles I finally activated because it went by fast when I finally got it right, but it could be that one of them was a partial or maybe duplicate symbol.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I have also finished the game and didnt really like the puzzles at the last part. They were very difficult and cryptic and hint system wasnt helping and even using 3 hints didnt give enough information to solve the puzzles.

I m also lost like colpet with forge puzzle. I even looked internet for 1 hour for an explanation and found nothing.

So tapestry gives you the four runes for the word “fire”. If you control the board so just those 4 runes are visible nothing happens. You need to have visible 5 runes and not 4. The sequence is 5, 8, 6, 7, 8, if you number the runes from top left to bottom right. The result is 5 runes that are diferent from the ones on tapestry. The only reference to the sequence is all the runes you press (5, 8, 6, 7, 8 ) are the 4 runes from fire on tapestry. But what about the order? 5 is letter f, 8 is letter e, 6 is letter i, 7 is letter r and 8 again is letter e. So that doesnt make sense. Are we supposed to just press the 4 runes for fire that are written on tapestry randomly until the puzzle somehow gets solved. No idea.

If anyone finds a better explanation just post it i m very curious. Everything i found on internet doesnt explain the solution just says a vague “make the fire rune”.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

It sounds like each tile had to be in a specific position for the puzzle to solve, so pressing an extra one moved it to the right spot.  I just played with it until, with luck, it took my answer.

For the most part, I really liked the puzzles in the game, but I do agree that several did need more indicators.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I voted for the game but ended up being quite busy. Started it finally today to notice that a lot of people have finished it already! Maybe I’ll be able to “catch up” fast enough to join the conversation before it dies out…

I’ve gone through the pointless tutorial, found Zak and had my first vision. The place is huge and disorienting, will see if I’ll like it or not.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

millenia - 11 April 2021 05:59 PM

I voted for the game but ended up being quite busy. Started it finally today to notice that a lot of people have finished it already! Maybe I’ll be able to “catch up” fast enough to join the conversation before it dies out…

I’m in the same boat. Finished the first section and then got so busy I haven’t been able to continue yet. And now we’re already at the end.

I will continue and post my thoughts regardless of when I continue…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Real life often gets in the way of our game time, but I’m glad you both are still giving it a try.  Walas had a hiatus as well and is nearly caught up, and I think several others are still playing. 

VP,
I like the link to the dragon hug you posted a page or two ago.  It’s a pretty one, but I don’t remember seeing it when playing.  I’ll keep an eye out for it when I replay the game.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 April 2021 12:50 PM
walas74 - 10 April 2021 02:28 AM

Teleporting is so cool! Camera movements are impressive, and what can I say about the crooked stairway? Awesome!

These things do make the game feel magical, don’t they?

edit: is this a hug for dragons?

That was one of my favourite depictions of dragons on the floor of the courtyard before you enter the teleportation room.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Glad you liked the screenshot, Lady Kestrel and colpet!

I hit a wall with the oracle puzzle, saved somewhere in the middle (oh dear) and started to walk around in circles for a bit. Then I got into the flow and just walzed through.

At the library now. I need to see one more tapestry, I think. The third, according to the game.. so I guess the last one I spotted was number four?

(apparently I had missed the first one.. and I was standing in front of it when I clicked on the question mark)

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Big Thanks to Lady Kestrel for guiding us through the game.

In general i liked the game, especially the exploration part, the music, the graphics and the atmosphere.

Puzzles regarding i did like some of them as they were cleverly designed, but tbh during the last part of the game i think they were very cryptic and i was mostly frustrated with them and didnt like the fact that i had to look at internet how to solve them.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m a bit behind (in more than one sense?:)). Finished section 4 yesterday. Probably my favorite so far! The dragon and oracle puzzles were fun to solve and properly clued for once. The library section was ok too and I think I have all the possible items from that place with me now (although I had to leave one of the spheres behind, for now I hope.).

But the reason for enjoying this section was at least partly because of Lady Kestrel having set up the goals for it. In no way did the game tell me that it was time to approach those puzzles while others were not even solvable yet. Or what the object of solving those puzzles were! Only after solving one of them it became clear to me that we were obviously after some ingredients for another potion. And only after turning Zak into a dragon did it become clear that Lydia still for some reason needed to turn Zak into a, yes that’s right, a dragon. Despite the ghost earlier having set up the ultimate goal to turn him back into human form. Go figure.

Again, I think the writing in this game is really weak.

But I’ll continue, I guess. Currently severely stuck in the forge. Am I at the wrong place at the wrong time again?

Good thing that I love adventure games so much that I enjoy playing even the bad ones.Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Veovis,
I came out of the library with all 4 spheres plus the 4 tapestries.  We never use the spheres again, but it’s possible they might be a trigger.  Also, have you solved the ship in the bottle puzzle?

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top