• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Ah! Now I get it. Thank you for clarifying. Good good, this makes me even more optimistic about Anna’s Quest.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Finally got back to “Conquest of the Longbow”. Managed to snap this group shot of the Band of Merry Men:

What an escape, though.

Time for Keepsake!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

That’s a great shot. I love how Robin is looking off to the side like that. I’m imagining his left foot up on the monitor, the mic stand held in his left at a rakish tilt, looking out over a sea of Wacken festival attendees.

‘Robin Hood Metal’ ought to be a genre. Lord knows there are far more ridiculous ones.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Baron_Blubba - 03 April 2021 01:20 PM

‘Robin Hood Metal’ ought to be a genre. Lord knows there are far more ridiculous ones.

“Medieval metal” IS a genre! Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

TimovieMan - 03 April 2021 05:27 PM
Baron_Blubba - 03 April 2021 01:20 PM

“Medieval metal” IS a genre! Wink

Oh, listing metal genres reminds me of the scene from the beginning of Fiddler on the Roof where the rabbi says ‘My son, there is a blessing for everything!’, and the villager asks ‘Rabbi, is there even a blessing for the Czar?’, and the Rabbi says ‘Yes—May the lord bless and keep the Czar…far away from us!’

Long winded way of saying ‘there’s a metal genre for everything.’
Even the Czar—that would probably be ‘Orthodox Russian neo-symphonic progressive choral atavistic third-wave trad-black metal’.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Anyway, back on topic: I’m currently playing King’s Quest 6, probably for the third time in my adult life.
It’s amazing how, as much as King’s Quest V has 100% of my nostalgic affection, this game is sooooo much better. For a sequel in a series of 7 (ahem), the improvements/refinements from V to VI are tremendous.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 03 April 2021 06:09 PM

Oh, listing metal genres reminds me of the scene from the beginning of Fiddler on the Roof where the rabbi says ‘My son, there is a blessing for everything!’, and the villager asks ‘Rabbi, is there even a blessing for the Czar?’, and the Rabbi says ‘Yes—May the lord bless and keep the Czar…far away from us!’

Even the Czar—that would probably be ‘Orthodox Russian neo-symphonic progressive choral atavistic third-wave trad-black metal’.

Did someone say БАТЮШКА? Grin Fiddler reference gets you 100 points (out of a possible 7325).

I’m holding back an anecdote that riffs on this whole derailment of the topic at hand, but since we’re getting back on track, I’ll save it for the next time someone mentions a German music festival.

On topic: I have the same thing with King’s Quest 5 and 6. I think my love for 5 is a bit more ambiguous than yours, but your interpretation works quite well (and also warms my heart). I’ll give that game another spin in a couple of years, remembering this: be like Graham, embrace the absurd, use it and enjoy the ride.

What do you think of Alexander?

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 04 April 2021 11:15 AM
Baron_Blubba - 03 April 2021 06:09 PM

Did someone say БАТЮШКА? Grin Fiddler reference gets you 100 points (out of a possible 7325).

I’m holding back an anecdote that riffs on this whole derailment of the topic at hand, but since we’re getting back on track, I’ll save it for the next time someone mentions a German music festival.

On topic: I have the same thing with King’s Quest 5 and 6. I think my love for 5 is a bit more ambiguous than yours, but your interpretation works quite well (and also warms my heart). I’ll give that game another spin in a couple of years, remembering this: be like Graham, embrace the absurd, use it and enjoy the ride.

What do you think of Alexander?

Okay, I haven’t practiced my Cyrillic since going to school in a Russian neighborhood in New York, where I would stare out the window at the store signs and try to parse what they said, but I believe your above post mentions Batushka? Yes, they are exactly the band I had in mind when writing that genre descriptor.

Please don’t tease with that anecdote! Derailment/digressions/tangents are part of the fun of conversation. Share!

Ooooh, good question about Alexander. He’s the kind of guy who on the surface seems too straight-laced goody two-shoes, totally no fun to have around, but every now and then he’ll make a splendidly surreptitiously snarky comment that hints at a cool guy beneath the diplomatic and traditional princely veneer (his performance on the Isle of Wonder).  Also, he seems like a genuine and sincere guy, and when push comes to shove he’s got more backbone than I was first inclined to give him credit for (his performance on the Isle of the Sacred Mountain. I would put it this way: If he wasn’t royalty, he might have been George Stobbart. Maybe his primary reason for going off on this madcap adventure has less to do with Cassima than it does with Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.

I don’t know if Sierra intended to write either him or Graham as much more than archetypal avatars, but I have fun extrapolating on their characters.

What do you think of KQ IV Rosella? (I haven’t played VII in a loooooooong time, and it’s up next for me, so please don’t spoil any of that for me.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

It’s a bit easier to read into the characters in 5, 6 and 7, by merit of the voice acting and more cinematic storytelling. I think 3 hast the best story (structure and content), but Alexander is a blank slate.

Rosella is kind of cool. Interactions with NPCs reveal a bit more character than the ones in the previous game.

Alexander in KQ3 wasn’t allowed a personality by Manannan, throughout the game he runs on survival mode. Graham, in every game, rolls with it, wholeheartedly. But Rosella is cast into a world that’s unlike anything she knows. She’s royalty in disguise. Unlike Graham, who’s really an adventurer at heart. He just happened to win a kingdom along the way. His daughter is more formal, more aware of her conduct, but she’s also open minded and genuinely interested in the lives (past and present) of Tamir’s creatures and peasantry.

What really resonated with me was the emphasis on moral dilemmas. Most actions in the King’s Quest games are made out to be noble, but in KQ 4, you do some pretty questionable things. And Rosella feels the weight. She feels doubt. Neither of you get to feel like a powerful hero, deserving nothing but praise and admiration. Questing is hard.

This was an overly long response to a simple question.

By the way, can you imagine Cassima and Alexander on a Vespa? That’s a crossover I’d watch/play/both.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am playing A New Beginning for a second time. And I can now see what is going on. I won’t say more here. I have a thread for this. Go there for more info.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

you see now how your early (inconvenience) judgment of it simulated these forums so hard, yeah, so just keep it coming Mike_Adv_Lvr

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i would have liked to del my previous post, now, that i think of it, it is just stupid bc everything had been said already about it or the game itself, but I just could not…
however all i can do is to throw this (comment) here and rebuke myself a bit, or if anyone wanna do it it is completely welcome too….. yeah

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Advie - 05 April 2021 02:22 PM

i would have liked to del my previous post, now, that i think of it, it is just stupid bc everything had been already said already, about it or the game itself, but I just could not…
however all i can do is to throw this (a comment) here and rebuke myself a bit, or if anyone wanna do it\(the same) is completely welcome too….. yeah

I’m having a hard time understanding what you are expressing here, but if you’re experiencing enough regret to rebuke yourself for a post, don’t worry about it, Advie. I don’t know how to say this without trivializing this wonderful forum that I very much enjoy being a part of, but, well, pretty much everything that goes on here is pretty trivial. That’s what makes it fun; we’re just folks getting together to talk about some games we like. If anyone takes offense about your opinion of a game (or even your opinion of their opinion of a game), the fault is with them, not you.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Baron_Blubba - 05 April 2021 04:40 PM

If anyone takes offense about your opinion…

well… that is exactly the problem,  it is only ‘if’

before any think I’ve gone too far, i am just fkn with ye Baron_Blubba

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m *very* much looking forward to Blubba’s KQ8 playthrough. Should be very entertaining Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top