• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #65 - Keepsake

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am terribly sorry but I have come up with the opportunity of being proofreader and tester of a translation into Spanish for a commercial game, and it would be the first time I get paid for it!

So I must stop playing Keepsake probably for the next two weeks. If I can catch up after that and before this CTP is over, I will. If not, I will play it and comment here anyway.

Good luck!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 25 March 2021 03:15 AM

edit: any more theories about Zak?

The dragon story seems like a power fantasy. I don’t think he really believes it himself.

I’m still not sure who Zak is, but he’s definitely not a dragon, even though he loves to repeat that. There are several contradictions in his story, even when Lydia asks more inquisitive questions Zak’s answer is always evasive, he answers things like “Eh?...hmm it’s because of…(and some justification)”.

I made the potion. I thought it was going to take a lot longer because we had more than a week but only two hours yesterday and a little while today and that’s it. It helped that I knew exactly what to do and also where to go. I’ve also noticed that I don’t use the map anymore, it’s not that I’ve spent a lot of time playing but I know more or less where each place is, the academy that seemed immense to me the first time is not so much now. I’m a bit surprised at how fast I’m going? Given that it usually takes me a long time to advance in any game.

I liked that when I found Mustavio and he asked me to find his boxes/crates (which I had already seen in my first exploration) the “I already found them” option in the dialogue was available and I didn’t have to go looking for them again. Although it seems like a totally minor thing, not all games give this option.

The trial itself was not a big obstacle, just answering the questions and that’s all. I only hesitated on the second question, made a mistake and had to do it again.
Regarding the potion there is not much to say either, I already had the red plant, for the fruit I just played that board game and then I just had to plant the seed and basically do nothing. That part of the garden with the symbols was already done. The third ingredient was also simple, by chance I found Mustavio in the Academy (What are you doing here?!?), I knew where the tools were and then I only had to talk to the tree. At this point I insisted with the questions with the tree because I wanted to know more, about the academy, about Zak, about what was happening and I sensed and still sense that he knows more than what he has told me for the moment.

I only had to solve two puzzles, one was the lock to get the key and then the other was to open the passage with the magic letters. I already had three letters and only guessed the two missing letters.

I knew the potion wasn’t going to work!. The question is…did it not work because I didn’t do it right? did it not work because he was never a dragon in the first place? Or did it not work because of something else? I’ll have to wait and see what happens next.

I’m really enjoying the game, I appreciate how solitary it is and that for now our only companion is Zak. I don’t think I would have liked the academy to be full of characters. The graphics as I said are attractive as well as the music, although I find it a bit short, it triggers at certain times and I would like it to last longer. Anyway that’s all for now.

walas74 - 25 March 2021 07:06 PM

I am terribly sorry but I have come up with the opportunity of being proofreader and tester of a translation into Spanish for a commercial game, and it would be the first time I get paid for it!

So I must stop playing Keepsake probably for the next two weeks. If I can catch up after that and before this CTP is over, I will. If not, I will play it and comment here anyway.

Good luck!

Don’t worry, good luck to you. Thanks for coming to let us know what happened.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

We will miss you, Walas, but that’s an opportunity you can’t pass up.  Have fun with it and join us again when you can.

I think Renacimiento must have had a sip of that potion.  I was going to welcome the new person to the playthrough, Tenebra. Grin

I added a week to this section to give some players a chance to catch up, but maybe that won’t be necessary.  Things do move faster once you know where you’re going, but it took me a while to realize that the trigger for moving the cauldron was in the kitchen.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 25 March 2021 10:35 PM

I think Renacimiento must have had a sip of that potion.  I was going to welcome the new person to the playthrough, Tenebra. Grin

You made me smile. : )

I always wanted to change my life, to make a complete turnaround, a process of metamorphosis to start anew, and only now I realise how to do it.  This game is seriously affecting me, to levels I hadn’t anticipated, it’s a revelation to me, I can’t hide it anymore, I can’t deny it, I’m starting to drop clues with every step I take. It’s the potion, it’s the potion!

~

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@Walas: sorry to see you leave the playthrough, but completely understandable. It sounds like really cool opportunity, congratulations on getting that gig! Thumbs Up

@Tenebra: congratulations to you as well! Smile

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’ve not got to the end of the section yet, but I have had a couple of pretty frustrating crashes in the game in this section. I know that you are probably the last group of people I need to advise to ‘save early, save often’ but…

Both crashes happened immediately after solving puzzles, so I didn’t have a chance to save after completing them. One was the getting the water back on one with the cogs and the other was that seriously infuriating minotaur and goblin one. Having to re-do the first one wasn’t too bad, and at least I was rewarded with the cool video sequence after having done it, but when I realised I had to do the second one again and hadn’t saved for a while, I nearly gave up on the whole thing!

Anyway, I am now in the habit of saving before I do any of the puzzles and just thought it might be worth saying in the hope it will prevent anyone else from having to redo chunks of the game.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That is a good idea, Intense.  Someone over at Mystery Manor was just playing it and had a crash that comes up in our next section.  I was going to post a warning then, but there’s no time like the present.

I enjoyed the video with the machines starting when we got the power on, but the water one was stunning.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’m rapidly getting frustrated with this game and am currently very stuck. Beginning to get flashbacks as to why I didn’t like it the first time around.

The section started out good, even though I absolutely hate the kind of puzzle you encounter in the caretaker’s office. But I managed to brute solve that one in about five or ten minutes.

But the writing is just as confusing as the layout of the castle. You can ask those guardians about the trials, but still I left them with very little idea as to what actually needed to be done to complete the first one or how to approach the task. When I finally found the place for the first trial, which was the easiest one to miss, I think only one of the three questions could be answered based on the information on the two stone plates I’d found. The other two I answered based on qualified guesses. But worse, Lydia had begun collecting documents on how to make a potion and Zak at one point blurts out that “we need to make my potion first”. At that point I hadn’t heard anything about the need to brew a potion or what it should be used for. Still haven’t. And why Lydia need those figurines that Mustavio gave her in return for finding his stuff is beyond me. Now I have a feeling the next thing I need to do is repairing the pendant to wake up the talking tree in order to get an ingredient for a potion I have absolutely no idea why I need, but the person who earlier promised me to help with this has disappeared for some reason.

Again, I think the game communicates poorly with the player. I haven’t yet pressed that question mark button and don’t really feel like doing so. A game that relies on the player breaking the fourth wall to get the basic idea of the next object is broken imo. Bad writing (or I’m a stupid player. Definitely a possibility:)) Or have I missed something, despite running around in the castle and its surroundings for quite some time?

Well well, maybe things begin to move forward if I try again tomorrow. But am I the only one feeling this game is lacking in the sense of direction?

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I remember first seeing this game when it first came out. Graphically, it was extraordinary. I think there was a demo. Or, at least something that would give me the gist of the playing mechanics. I didn’t care much for it. It had everything you might want in a game, but something just didn’t seem “right.” That’s one reason I didn’t vote for it.

Good luck everybody. Maybe see you next time.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Veovis - 26 March 2021 06:54 PM

But the writing is just as confusing as the layout of the castle. You can ask those guardians about the trials, but still I left them with very little idea as to what actually needed to be done to complete the first one or how to approach the task.

I agree about the first trial, I knew what I had to do and what it consisted of but I didn’t really know how to do it. Until I found the door, obviously.

But worse, Lydia had begun collecting documents on how to make a potion and Zak at one point blurts out that “we need to make my potion first”. At that point I hadn’t heard anything about the need to brew a potion or what it should be used for. Still haven’t.

Once we are able to read the documents, they speak of a transformation of a living creature into a dragon. Personally I assumed at the time that I had to do it to return Zak to his original form. 

In fact, there is a moment in the game, where Lydia talks about a broken window, when we approach this window she says something about “hang on to it and climb up”, to which Zak comments that this is a bad idea, that she could fall and kill herself, and adds “once I get back to my original form I’m going to fly or I’m going to take you there”, something to that effect. From there, I draw the conclusion that I need Zak to transform back to his original form, for which the potion is essential.

And why Lydia need those figurines that Mustavio gave her in return for finding his stuff is beyond me.

Surely on your first exploration you came across a board game and couldn’t do anything about it. In one of the notes it is written about the second ingredient: “...I’m going to ask Mustavio if he has this seed..”. Well, the pieces Mustavio gave you are just for that.

I hope this helps.

~

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m sorry you’re so frustrated with this, Veovis.  There are 3 plates with information you needed.  One is at the dragon fountain in the main hall, and the other two are in the rooms you get to from walking outside along the facade.

Regarding the pendant, you will meet Mustavio inside later.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I’ m also done with this section although i had problems with the puzzles. Read below ONLY if you have solved the puzzles because there are my explanations and stuggles to get the solutions.

After talking with the guardians i didnt know what to do as i had solved all puzzles the game hinted that are possible and couldnt enter any of the 3 doors. I spent 1 hour and a half going around the school, visiting every room and examining carefully everything. So the last place i checked it was the stairway to the guardians and it seems i was missing a key that was laying on the ground.

Next was the caretaker room, where i struggled a lot with the safe puzzle. I already knew the number. I realized fast that everytime i turn a switch it was raising its number by 1 and another number by 2. At this point i made a diagram with the switches and fought with th puzzle for about 30 min but always 1 number wasnt right. Then just decided to use the hints because it felt that even if i got it right it would by luck. First hint didnt tell me anything i didnt knew. Second hint kinda gave the solution as it told me the pattern. I fihished the puzzle with the help of the hint feeling stupid i couldnt get whats going on. Then after i had stopped playing i was thinking about puzzle and understood that if you get to the point of having 4 numbers out of 5 right you can manipulate the wrong number without changing the other 4 but you cant do it direct but you have to change all 5 numbers in a loop, starting from the first number you affected trying to change your wrong number. The whole puzzle looks like a mathematic equasion and it was little too hard for me at least to understand.

After this puzzle i was really tired and kinda angry i couldnt get whats going on and went to the runes puzzle. I checked the document and had my runes. But at this point i was inpatient and had the impression that it was similar to previous puzzle with the safe. So i decided not to go through this again and checked the hints untill it told me that the runes was a sequence. After that i checked all combinations of the 2 missing runes (nine combinations but some of them dont have next step so less than 9) Not sure if there is another hint for the 2 missing runes because i solved it before checking again.

I tried the minotaur puzzle on another day. I was also stuck at this puzzle again. At this point i started feeling realy stupid. I messed with it for about 15 min managing to trap the minotaur at first spot. But i couldnt go forward after that. I checked hints again and told me something about movement of the minotaur i didnt really understand. Last hint of the puzzle was the solution until i get to the first trap spot. But i allready knew how to do that so no help from hints for this puzzle. I was worried that i would have to check internet for the solution for first time, something i didnt really wanna do. But then i just spend some time with the puzzle and tried all possible moves after the first trap spot. They werent actually that many, and this puzzle can be solved by trial and error. Anyway, after i managed to get to the second trap spot i understood the movement pattern of the minotaur and solved the puzzle next try.

Last puzzle was the trial which wasnt hard. I knew the answer to 2 questions (one from main statue plaque and one from a plaque at the top of the school). I didn know the answer to second question, so i just tried some of those and with third try i got it right. Is there a hint about what someone would sacrifice to be a mage somewhere in the game or you just answer it with logic? not sure if you can deduct the answer from the other plaque.

Rest of the section was simple enough because i had allready explored every nook and cranny possible. I also know the map by heart now and dont really need it. The main problem i have atm with the game is the puzzles. They seem too tough for me and the pattern is same on all of those. Just try everything until you understand the mechanics. Mechanics arent always simple to execute also after you understand them. I think people with high iq would be able to solve the puzzles easier than me Laughing I m not saying the puzzles arent good its just they are too hard to understand and the hint system of the game is kinda necessary to go forward. Also i really like the game so far, and curious to see what is next and hoping for easier puzzles with next section.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have played the next section and made the potion.
Thank you, Lady K for the suggestion of exhausting all the dialogue options.
Like Veovis, I was at a loss as to why I was making a potion. It wasn’t until I was back in the kitchen and clicked on the window, that it became clear that Zak suggested the change to a dragon to assist in reaching the window. I had explored that area at the start, but the context was lost without viewing the trial room balcony.
I did lose track of my objectives, and wondered what to do next.  . At one point I had ‘open secret basement door, find Mustavio’s casks, fix pendant, make potion, and pass trials’ all on my objective list.
As to the puzzles, they are the kind I enjoy - classic fare you get in many casual games that I play to pass time. I’m expecting a slider anytime now Wink
I am enjoying the game, and getting a lot more out of it with this more deliberate, focused play. Even the negatives—huge ground to cover and muddled objectives—are somewhat expected because of the huge scope of what you are playing. 
Anyone notice the owl? Significance? Another guardian, perhaps?

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

OK, I am completely stuck.

I have passed the first trial but am completely stuck on the potion thing.

I have… All the pages that talk about the dragon potion (and all other ‘magnifying glass items’). I have also grown the tree and picked the fruit and got the yewlock leaves. I have the pendant and have woken the tree, which the papers tell me should have the third ingredient, however, I can’t ask him about it and nothing else happens.

There must be some kind of trigger I’m missing, is there anything else I need to do? Any help gratefully received!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Intense Degree - 27 March 2021 04:23 PM

OK, I am completely stuck.

I have passed the first trial but am completely stuck on the potion thing.

I have… All the pages that talk about the dragon potion (and all other ‘magnifying glass items’). I have also grown the tree and picked the fruit and got the yewlock leaves. I have the pendant and have woken the tree, which the papers tell me should have the third ingredient, however, I can’t ask him about it and nothing else happens.

There must be some kind of trigger I’m missing, is there anything else I need to do? Any help gratefully received!

Do you have a ‘memory’ of Celeste and the tree? Did you read all your pages—maybe that’s the trigger?Did you find the cauldron?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top