• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalefurgottenIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

n o n - The First Warp, a time warping Adventure

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

Greetings Earthlings!

I’m Lars - a one man army indie game developer.

Around 2 years ago I started development on “n o n - The First Warp” - my first full-blown 2D point-and-click adventure…

Now, there is a twist - I’ve chosen to include a very special game mechanic:

The ability to control time, freely.

Besides bringing some visual goodies to the table - many puzzles will use this feature as part of their solution. So it opens up a world of new puzzle scenarios.

I’ve finally come to a point where I can show you guys a *very small part* of the game - and the mechanic described.
It’s, sort of, a small beta/demo of the first part of the story. It’s rough, it’s dirty, it’s subject to change AND it’s risky.

I was hoping some of you would like to take it for a spin?

I need your opinions to steer free of any mistakes I might have overlooked before I continue to work on it - so your feedback will be much appreciated!

Mind you the game is still in development - ETA is 2020 depending on a lot of factors - right now it seems like a plausible estimate.

You can read more about the story and download the beta/demo for free here:
http://blackgrain.dk/games/non/

Current supported platforms:
Windows 7 + 10, MacOS, Linux & Android (iOS coming sooner or later)

I’ll be happy to sponsor DRM-free copies of the finished game to the forums (for contests or other fun stuff) - should you guys be interested!

You can follow development on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook & Itch

Have a great day!
Lars / Black Grain Games

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

This looks great. I’m going to see if I can free up some time to try the beta.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

Donuts McGee - 20 September 2018 06:32 AM

This looks great. I’m going to see if I can free up some time to try the beta.

I’d be grateful!

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

The game now has a page on Steam.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

This looks like fun. I like the ‘reviews’ on the Steam page. Please let us know when it’s available for purchase—do you have an eta? I’d play it.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

Baron_Blubba - 20 March 2021 04:34 PM

This looks like fun. I like the ‘reviews’ on the Steam page. Please let us know when it’s available for purchase—do you have an eta? I’d play it.

Thanks for your kind words!

The game is “the famously” 99% done.

I’m currently off for maternity leave with my latest kid (talk about bad timing Grin ) - I’m hoping to get the last translations sorted in this time - so currently I’m hoping for a maximum of 4 months before release - but I can’t really promise anything yet since solo indie game developer life can be a very fluctuating field to work in Grin

Thanks for your interest - it truly warms my heart. I will of course keep you updated!

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

I’m releasing the game on Steam August 12th 2021 🥳

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Larpon - 09 July 2021 12:42 PM

Congratulations! I still want to play it. Please post again to remind us all as soon as it’s ready to go.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2014-02-13

PM

I saw that your game has a page on itch.io as well. Will the game be released there on the same date?

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

Esmeralda - 13 July 2021 03:08 AM

I saw that your game has a page on itch.io as well. Will the game be released there on the same date?

I hope that time will let me release it on itch.io the 12th as well, yes.
In case I’m overwhelmed by the Steam release for some reason I’ll have to delay the itch release - but I’m planning to be able to do it simultaneously Smile

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

It’s available on Steam now Smile

non - The First Warp on Steam

Esmeralda - 13 July 2021 03:08 AM

The DRM free itch.io version is unfortunately delayed a little since I’m moving to a new place and the itch builds I prepared are on a HDD in a moving box somewhere. Sorry, these kind of things just happens to me sometimes Pan

I’ll do my best to dig it out and upload them ASAP!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Thanks for the update, I just purchased it. I will probably start playing later on in the weekend, and am looking forward to it. Congrats on completing this and getting it out there, looks like a good time!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2018-03-06

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 August 2021 10:46 PM

Thanks for the update, I just purchased it. I will probably start playing later on in the weekend, and am looking forward to it. Congrats on completing this and getting it out there, looks like a good time!

Thanks a lot - your support means a world to me! It was a really cool launch day! All I could’ve ever wished for Smile

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

So I just booted up the non and played for a few minutes. I like that it seems puzzle centric and doesn’t hold the player’s hand (I turned off all hints). That’s about all I can say about the gameplay itself at the moment.

I think the game needs some more time in development. Relatively small things (I assume; I’ve never made a game) that would go a long way toward improving the quality seem to have been skipped.
- The game only runs in a window (meaning that the utility bar on the PC is always visible) and the resolution does not seem to be optimal. There are no settings to change the resolution.
- The cursor is a standard arrow cursor, which only changes when you click on an object. It would make a *big* difference to design your own. Even better would be if it lit up or changed when it was on top of a hot spot. Even better would be to have the name of the hot spot (ie. ‘Journal’, ‘control panel’, ‘bucket’, etc) appear on the screen when hovering over it.
- Hot spot clicking points are not always accurate.
- Sometimes the text scrolls by itself, and sometimes you have to click through. There should be an option for it to be one or another.
- It seems like sound design was an after thought.

I’m going to keep playing when I have a little more time, but these are my first thoughts. Obviously lots of potential, but the production values need work. I understand that this was done by a small (or even one person?) ‘team’, but things like the cursor, full-screen capability, and text scrolling consistency would be relatively easy things to implement that would make the game present with significantly more pro quality.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Baron_Blubba - 14 August 2021 12:10 PM

The game only runs in a window (meaning that the utility bar on the PC is always visible)

Hi Mr Blubba, I thought I’d give the game a go but have only played for a few minutes myself but I do have full-screen just to let you know.  Smile

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

chrissie - 14 August 2021 12:35 PM
Baron_Blubba - 14 August 2021 12:10 PM

The game only runs in a window (meaning that the utility bar on the PC is always visible)

Hi Mr Blubba, I thought I’d give the game a go but have only played for a few minutes myself but I do have full-screen just to let you know.  Smile

Full-full screen or do you still see the ‘window’ bar at the top and the task bar at the bottom?
I’ll try it on a different computer later and see if that solves the problem. I still plan on playing the game and have hopes that I’ll enjoy it, of course. It just felt like the interface needs a little work, and that there are some programming edges that could be touched up to improve the game in general.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top