• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dark Side of the Moon (2021 FMV)

Total Posts: 509

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

rtrooney - 15 March 2021 08:58 PM

I don’t remember Amber being FMV. Besides, it was a single CD so disk swapping would never be an issue.

Never played 7th Guest, so I can’t comment.

Actually the first release of Amber came on 2 CDs. I wouldn’t call it an FMV game though (unless a game like Myst is one too).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 15 March 2021 08:08 PM

7th Guest? I know it had a separate CD for the soundtrack, but I can’t remember there being any disk swapping during the game.

Karlok - 16 March 2021 04:59 AM

Yes, the 7th Guest came on one CD. Maybe the transparent ghosts didn’t require as many bytes as solid people. Smile

What??? Gasp

MY version of the 7th Guest (bought in 1995 IIRC), came on 2 CDs and there WAS disc swapping near the very end. The entire game is on 1 CD except for the endgame in the attic, that was on disc 2.

Since it was the endgame, there was no swapping back to disc 1 needed until after completion, but it DID use both discs…

As for the swapping back and forth, I think Phantasmagoria did it rather elegantly by keeping all 7 chapters on a separate disc each. That meant no swapping in-between locations, only between chapters. If you were swapping discs, it meant you were advancing in the story. Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 16 March 2021 03:57 PM

MY version of the 7th Guest (bought in 1995 IIRC), came on 2 CDs and there WAS disc swapping near the very end. The entire game is on 1 CD except for the endgame in the attic, that was on disc 2.

You’re right, I stand corrected. Weird, I was so sure.

And Veovis said the first release of Amber came on 2 CDs. I have the ‘96 release, one CD. Was there an earlier version?? I don’t know what to believe anymore. 

PS: How are you and Gracie getting along? Or have you dropped her to spend time with Lydia?

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 16 March 2021 04:19 PM

PS: How are you and Gracie getting along? Or have you dropped her to spend time with Lydia?

Gracie is sidelined for a bit.

I’ll need a specific mindset to continue with her, and that mindset isn’t here right now… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5045

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Veovis - 16 March 2021 11:44 AM

Actually the first release of Amber came on 2 CDs. I wouldn’t call it an FMV game though (unless a game like Myst is one too).

I have the boxed version of Amber, and I checked to make sure before I wrote the post. It only has one CD. I wasn’t aware of there being more than one version of the game. It was a critical success, but I’m not sure if it was a financial success. I bought my version from a CompUSA bargain bin the same year it was released.

Yes, there are a few FMV scenes. But certainly not of the scale of other FMV games such as DSotM. Funny you should mention MYST as comparison. Both games released on a single CD and used QuickTime video for their limited FMV scenes. I assume it was a way to keep the game on a single disk. Not dissimilar to records you bought in the early days. The reason the average length of a song is 3:30 is because that’s the maximum length that would fit on a 78 rpm shellac disc. That artificial limitation carried well into the late 60’s.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Karlok - 16 March 2021 04:19 PM

And Veovis said the first release of Amber came on 2 CDs. I have the ‘96 release, one CD. Was there an earlier version?? I don’t know what to believe anymore.

I have both the 1 and 2 disc versions of Amber in original boxes somewhere. No difference in contents at all. The developer used a more effective compression tool for the game’s images and was able to fit everything on 1 CD after the first (probably small) batch of the game was shipped.

Is the 1998 DSotM playable in Windows 10? I seem to remember there being problems with the game’s fonts in Windows XP at least. Never got around to play it but I sure would like to.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Veovis - 17 March 2021 05:43 AM

Is the 1998 DSotM playable in Windows 10? I seem to remember there being problems with the game’s fonts in Windows XP at least. Never got around to play it but I sure would like to.

I don’t know if it is playable in Windows 10, I never tried. I have kept my old win98, win95, and XP computers, so I can still play the ancient games.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When was the 2-CD version of Amber released?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

The first five posts were about the game of the thread, from there… That’s the magic of forums haha

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 17 March 2021 07:47 PM

The first five posts were about the game of the thread, from there… That’s the magic of forums haha

It morphed into a conversation about FMV games in general. Stuff happens

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1254

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 17 March 2021 11:08 PM
walas74 - 17 March 2021 07:47 PM

It morphed into a conversation about FMV games in general. Stuff happens

Yeah, that’s why I said the magic of forums. And since you are talking about FMV games, do you think we are living a resurrection of the genre? Are other modern games like Contradiction (I know Her Story, Telling Lies, The Shapeshifting Detective and The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker).

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

rtrooney - 17 March 2021 07:00 PM

When was the 2-CD version of Amber released?

1996, before the 1 CD version. The only difference I notice between the 2 CD and 1 CD versions is that the former has Graphic Simulations noted as publisher. See attached pictures.

Image Attachments

Amber_Disc_A.jpgAmber_Disc_B.jpgAmber_1_disc.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Karlok - 15 March 2021 01:19 PM

I don’t understand why people associate Dark Side of the Moon (2021) with Darkstar (which I could never get to run properly). I think of Dark Side of the Moon (1998). It used to be one of my favorite FMV games. Great FMV, spooky intro, interesting setting. The story took a somewhat silly turn after a while but I had a good time with the first half of the game.

I’m old, my memory isn’t what it used to be. And, I wasn’t at home to check on the actual game name.
Smile
I have the DVD Dark Side of the Moon (1998) game too, and did play it. I think it was fun, but that memory again…
One benefit is that replaying games is often like playing them for the first time!  Laughing  Wink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 17 March 2021 11:18 PM

Yeah, that’s why I said the magic of forums. And since you are talking about FMV games, do you think we are living a resurrection of the genre? Are other modern games like Contradiction (I know Her Story, Telling Lies, The Shapeshifting Detective and The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker).

I think it’s possible. Technological advances can make the FMV more enjoyable. And the media, itself, DVD v. CD is a huge upgrade. Of course no technological marvel will increase the enjoyment of bad acting. (Although some, including myself, find the bad acting part of the entertainment.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

rtrooney - 18 March 2021 03:12 PM
walas74 - 17 March 2021 11:18 PM

I think it’s possible. Technological advances can make the FMV more enjoyable. And the media, itself, DVD v. CD is a huge upgrade. Of course no technological marvel will increase the enjoyment of bad acting. (Although some, including myself, find the bad acting part of the entertainment.

Does anyone actually still use DVD?

For interest, I checked the size of DSOTM and it’s small enough to fit on 2 DVDs. I would have thought the video content would make it a lot larger and thus digital download being a better format for FMV, but I guess not. Then again, it’s a short game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top