• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mutropolis, lovely beautiful game, just started it, it adopts the broken age outlook and artwork style.

but the ‘little things’ (someone please start a thread about them) it is always the little things that make a great adventure just good and nothing more, Slow character movements, No running or fast screen exits, and no hot spot revealer.(which we are getting much used to), but except those little things, the game is just beautiful, altho it is supposed to be a comedy but most jokes are running over my head, but i don’t mind it, as I am always in for the gameplay, most of the time.

will update my thought about it as i move forward

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Haha, yes, from being a long time non-participating reader of these forums, I know this. It’s why Adv_Lvr is one of my favorite users here.

Part of it is HOW I play these games. I use an iPad mini 5 with Retina display. The games look simply beautiful on a 7.9 inch screen. For sound I use a nice pair of headphones, the games sound great and play great too, lots of fun with touch screen controls and I never have a crash.

I also buy games that I know I will like. And when you are paying around $2.99 - $3.99 average for an indie game I always get my money’s worth.

I am currently playing Lamplight City and yep, you guessed it, it’s allot of fun so far. Can’t wait to finish it and replay it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 09 March 2021 08:11 PM

Haha, yes, from being a long time non-participating reader of these forums, I know this. It’s why Adv_Lvr is one of my favorite users here.

Part of it is HOW I play these games. I use an iPad mini 5 with Retina display. The games look simply beautiful on a 7.9 inch screen. For sound I use a nice pair of headphones, the games sound great and play great too, lots of fun with touch screen controls and I never have a crash.

I also buy games that I know I will like. And when you are paying around $2.99 - $3.99 average for an indie game I always get my money’s worth.

I am currently playing Lamplight City and yep, you guessed it, it’s allot of fun so far. Can’t wait to finish it and replay it.

Heart

I still haven’t played many…or maybe any…of Grundislav’s games. And I really want to, because I’ve heard numerous interviews with him and he sounds like a designer whose games I’ll enjoy. Maybe it’s because he’s cited Conquests of the Longbow as one of his favorites on numerous occasions?

Okay, I finished the prologue of A New Beginning just now (yes, it crashed. I restarted, skipped the final prologue cutscene with the ESC key, and it went right into Chapter 1), and am a pretty fair way into Chapter 1.
On the minus side—there’s this girl who seems to be having a severe medical attack of some sort, you run into the house to get her a glass of water, the phone is ringing. You pick up the phone, have a conversation with your therapist (who is so clearly EVIL she ought to be wearing a monocle and stroking a cat with a bionic claw…yet you still believe her to be perfectly qualified to administer help with your mental health), and only after that do you get the sick girl a glass of water.
The developers clearly wanted to give you background on your character’s headspace through this conversation -great! Why not do that earlier, before the helicopter with the girl from the future lands in your front yard and helps you fix your fogger so that you’ll pay attention to her?

Chapter 1 is full of some incredibly comedic heavy-handed environmentalism, delivered with some of the worst voice acting, scripting, and directing I have *ever* come across in a game…and I have played a lot of games with reeaaaally bad acting and writing! Seriously, this makes Zero Wing (of All Your Base fame) look like Shakespeare. There’s a line here where Fay is looking out over a ruined San Francisco. You click on the Golden Gate Bridge. “They had the arrogance to bind continents together with metal.” or something like that. Really? We’re attacking bridge building now?
On the plus side, Fay’s voice acting sounds like the voices that would come out of the Barbie phone my sister had when we were kids, which would randomly insert pronouns into randomly selected sentences such as “I know! Why don’t we! Go to the MALL! With Ken! On the weekend!” and “Hey! Why don’t we! Play TENNIS! With Midge! After school!”
So that brought back some fun memories. We used to play with that phone for hours. The only downside is that it used alkaline batteries. You know, the kind that will eventually be responsible for destroying the entire planet—typhoons, erupting volcanoes, earthquakes, electrical storms, bowling balls of hail, etc. Because we should have been powering our devices with algae, duh.

I can’t wait to keep playing, this is great!

Disclaimer: I’m not criticizing environmentalism—I’m very much for it. I’m criticizing this game’s delivery of its environmental message.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Haha - this is gold! Keep the updates coming Baron Blubba Laughing

P.S. where were you when this game and others from the Daedalic catalogue came out to often positive reviews? You might have saved the whole scene from copycat devs thinking that more of this stuff was ever a good idea. Not to mention saving my wallet from spending $$ on them.

What’s worse is that I played the “Final Cut” version of the game. You’d think they would have had the opportunity to fix all these problems, but nope. I shudder to think what the original was like.

Adv_Lvr - 09 March 2021 08:11 PM

Heart

When Apple bring outs a device which turns badly written, badly translated games into ones which don’t make me want to punch the screen… that will be the day I buy my first Apple product. Can’t wait! Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

REVIEWS

“A New Beginning gives an amazing impression. It’s exciting, smart and persistent. The graphics are a genuine eye-catcher and both protagonists grow into complex personalities the player can easily relate to, even grow fond of.”
90/100 – http://www.adventurecorner.de/reviews/228/a-new-beginning

“The dialogues, carrying a serious yet sometimes witty tone are one of the game’s major strong points. They give both likeable protagonists depth and personality. The writers have paid attention to even the most delicate details.”
84/100 – Gamestar

“Blending strongly-defined characters into a stunning and memorable backdrop, A New Beginning is an “eco-thriller” that is not to be missed.”
80/100 – Adventure Gamers

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Baron_Blubba, you are wasting a very potential ‘Let’s Play’ ( Playthrough) thread of your own for A New Begining, besides this is not the idea of this thread as well.

see diego’s let’s play Keepsake thread, to get the idea
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2009

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 09 March 2021 06:39 PM
Jdawg445 - 09 March 2021 05:41 PM

I beat the first chapter of this game and then it crashed, needless to say I had no desire to go back and try again. my experience with the first chapter was abysmal enough befor that. the game looks ugly, the voice acting is some of the worst I’ve ever seen, at least since the PS1 era with bad Japanese voice dubbing. I like deponia well enough but this game was atrocious

Oh wow. I am normally not a morbid-curiosity type of gamer, but all this dislike for A New Beginning has me excited to see just how spectacularly it is going to crash and burn. No pun intended, based on your end of first chapter experience, Jdawg.
By the way, I loved bad PS1 voice dubbing. I was around 11, 12, when those games were coming out, and didn’t know better. I genuinely thought that the live action intro to Resident Evil was soooooo badass. Then again, having played way too much KQ5 growing up, so perhaps was already inoculated.

Kings quest 5 looks like the godfather compared to this game lol

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

This thread is a treasure.

I love KQ5 in a hopelessly millennial way. Adv_Lvr almost sold me on giving Lamplight City a try. Definitely going to keep A New Beginning on hold, I’ll stick to Baron_Blubba’s impressions that had me looking weird in public, laughing out loud.

I got home from a long shift yesterday and I really wanted to dive into Conquest of the Longbow. Some other stuff came up, unfortunately, but I did manage to score 200 points (out of 7325!), lose my head in a tavern and longbow down a creep in the open road. Looking forward to visiting Sherwood again, today.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Isn’t a new beginning one of the Daedalic games everyone says is great? Or am I bugging?

I might be ready to get burned by trying another Daedalic game soon. I think I’ve disliked every game I’ve tried from them. Silence looks pretty cool tho.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 09 March 2021 11:03 PM

REVIEWS

“A New Beginning gives an amazing impression. It’s exciting, smart and persistent. The graphics are a genuine eye-catcher and both protagonists grow into complex personalities the player can easily relate to, even grow fond of.”
90/100 – http://www.adventurecorner.de/reviews/228/a-new-beginning

“The dialogues, carrying a serious yet sometimes witty tone are one of the game’s major strong points. They give both likeable protagonists depth and personality. The writers have paid attention to even the most delicate details.”
84/100 – Gamestar

“Blending strongly-defined characters into a stunning and memorable backdrop, A New Beginning is an “eco-thriller” that is not to be missed.”
80/100 – Adventure Gamers

Heart

Yeah! I saw those same reviews, and along with reading some positive on this forum, I was really enthusiastic to give it a go. While it’s true that different strokes float different folks boats (or something like that), I’m wondering if perhaps those reviews are from people playing different language versions than the one I am playing. It’s really confounding, actually. Hey, one way or another I am having a good time with this game, so I’m glad to be playing it.
I mean, the thing about the main character’s priorities, that transcends language barriers, but a lot of the rest of the problems could be resolved with a better translation and also more carefully programming the cadence of the dialogues (they tend to overlap each other, when there should be brief pauses, and there are brief pauses when there should be none).

(Please don’t take my poking fun at A New Beginning personally. I really don’t take these games so seriously, and I’m not trying to question the validity of your opinion on the game, I am just telling about my own. I just enjoy discovering, playing, and discussing adventure games, and it’s all in good natured fun. I hope that comes across in my writing.)

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 10 March 2021 08:54 AM

I love KQ5 in a hopelessly millennial way. Adv_Lvr almost sold me on giving Lamplight City a try. Definitely going to keep A New Beginning on hold, I’ll stick to Baron_Blubba’s impressions that had me looking weird in public, laughing out loud.

I got home from a long shift yesterday and I really wanted to dive into Conquest of the Longbow. Some other stuff came up, unfortunately, but I did manage to score 200 points (out of 7325!), lose my head in a tavern and longbow down a creep in the open road. Looking forward to visiting Sherwood again, today.

No no, please play this game! It’s might not be a *good* piece of game design, but it is fun—so in that capacity, it IS good. Although I recognize that this distinction is less valid with some than with others.

Likewise, KQ5 is a favorite of mine. Back in the day when boys were boys (or at least, I and my brothers were), we spend MONTHS trying to solve that game, along with our friends, who also had it. We must have restarted a hundred times, making stupid mistakes and not learning the ‘save early, save often, maintain multiple save slots’ lesson. We still talk and laugh about it. Even objectively, I don’t think it is nearly as bad as the internet has made it out to be. I have no problem with mapping deserts, throwing pies at yetis or NOT taking a mildly circuitous route around A PoOoOoOoOoOoisonOUS snake! In the illogical context of the adventure game world by and large, those things work fine. And as a kid, they made perfect sense. Thank goodness I never came across any yetis in real life; I would have eaten any pies I’d've had in my pockets long before reaching him.

Jdawg agreed, but then again, The Godfather 2 is no Plan 9 From Outer Space!

Planet X if you are coming into this expecting it to be clean of all the issues that have plagued past Daedalic games, you will be disappointed; so far it is paradigmatic Daedalic. I’m going to try and enjoy it despite that…or maybe, in a funny way, because of that.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 10 March 2021 11:30 AM

No no, please play this game! It’s might not be a *good* piece of game design, but it is fun—so in that capacity, it IS good. Although I recognize that this distinction is less valid with some than with others.

Likewise, KQ5 is a favorite of mine. Back in the day when boys were boys (or at least, I and my brothers were), we spend MONTHS trying to solve that game, along with our friends, who also had it. We must have restarted a hundred times, making stupid mistakes and not learning the ‘save early, save often, maintain multiple save slots’ lesson. We still talk and laugh about it. Even objectively, I don’t think it is nearly as bad as the internet has made it out to be. I have no problem with mapping deserts, throwing pies at yetis or NOT taking a mildly circuitous route around A PoOoOoOoOoOoisonOUS snake! In the illogical context of the adventure game world by and large, those things work fine. And as a kid, they made perfect sense. Thank goodness I never came across any yetis in real life; I would have eaten any pies I’d've had in my pockets long before reaching him.

Jdawg agreed, but then again, The Godfather 2 is no Plan 9 From Outer Space!

Planet X if you are coming into this expecting it to be clean of all the issues that have plagued past Daedalic games, you will be disappointed; so far it is paradigmatic Daedalic. I’m going to try and enjoy it despite that…or maybe, in a funny way, because of that.

I agree about king’s quest 5 the only two puzzles that really are awful to me is throwing the boot at the cat to save The Mouse and the pie puzzle with the Yeti, both are solvable but also both are very stupid.

As far as a new beginning to me, it is not like it is a so bad that it is a good type game, it’s just bad. like for example the movie the room is great because it’s so awful in a fun way, a new beginning is not that, it is just awful.

I really don’t know what those reviewers saw in the game, I think they like the extreme leftist message in the game, or they didn’t play it in English or they are deaf

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Agreed Wink

Jdawg445 - 10 March 2021 01:57 PM

As far as a new beginning to me, it is not like it is a so bad that it is a good type game, it’s just bad. like for example the movie the room is great because it’s so awful in a fun way, a new beginning is not that, it is just awful.

I really don’t know what those reviewers saw in the game, I think they like the extreme
leftist message in the game, or they didn’t play it in English or they are deaf

Wink

Those are two options. I also remember it was in development for a long time… people probably had an investment on how it turned out in the end!

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Luhr28 - 10 March 2021 04:10 PM
Jdawg445 - 10 March 2021 01:57 PM

I really don’t know what those reviewers saw in the game, I think they like the extreme
leftist message in the game, or they didn’t play it in English or they are deaf

Wink

Those are two options. I also remember it was in development for a long time… people probably had an investment on how it turned out in the end!

I think all of the above for some people, and some of the above for others. I maintain that much of it has *gotta be* a lost in translation thing. And the rest could very well be confirmation bias, for one reason or another that you mentioned: Either it’s solidarity with the message, to the point where they are blind to the game behind the message; or it’s because people had an emotional investment in the long anticipation for the game’s release. I’m sure we’ve all been there, whether with games or some other form of gizmo or media.

Back to KQ5, because it’s so much fun to talk about: The cat and boot puzzle is the Daedalic puzzle in the game. The one where you just wonder ‘Did they even play test this at all? How did this make it into the game?’
I understand the misguided philosophy behind nigh-impossibly difficult to traverse vines/beanstalks/stairs/bridges/mountain paths…this was a time when the adventure game market was broader, and the primary demographic for the games had not yet been identified as folks who are allergic to reflexes, hand-eye coordination, dexterity, and pretty much everything else that is associated with all video games that aren’t adventure games. So those things were just ‘part of what makes the game a game’. But the cat and boot…man, that was just stupid and unfair, and, by guaranteeing that everyone would have to restart the game at least once, disrespectful of the player’s time in an entirely different way.
I maintain that pie at the yeti is as positively iconic as hamster in freezer and turning Max inside out.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Isn’t a new beginning one of the Daedalic games everyone says is great? Or am I bugging?

The game I myself liked. It got a four star review on this site and won an Aggie award for best graphics:

Best Graphic Design AGGIE AWARD WINNER:

If a picture is worth a thousand words, this category speaks volumes. Regardless of technique, this award recognizes games that are not only visually attractive but stylistically distinctive. One look at a screenshot should elicit not only jaw-dropping admiration, but intuitive recognition of the game to which it belongs. This award includes both game world and character design, but not cinematics.

For 2.99 I was well pleased. It’s not a perfect game, but I agree with the glowing reviews and the Aggie award.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top