• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

20 years later..

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Doom - 06 March 2021 07:52 PM

Oh. I actually thought Another Code was more casual than Hotel Dusk. Read a bit about the game, and I guess I’ll skip it, not a big fan of interactive novels. I’m also trying to recall a DS game that caught my interest many years ago. At least I think it was a DS game. Something about escaping a (sinking?) ship through a series of rooms with complex puzzles…

Not sure I’d call Another Code (Trace Memory in the US) casual. As far as I remember it was very much about story and solving puzzles, using the DS functions in clever ways. Great game. But I would probably not put it up there with the best from the “golden era”. But definitely in the same league as Hotel Dusk and Ghost Trick on the DS, both also great games. Maybe you’re thinking of Another Code:R For the Wii? That was a big letdown and fit the bill of casual (or walking sim) I guess.

GateKeeper - 07 March 2021 02:27 AM

Broken Sword 5 feels like Broken Sword 2.5, a fan game that tries to have as much Broken Sword trademarks in it as possible, but the result is not a very good game. While the graphics works better than BS in 3D, it’s inferior to the first two games. What really kills the experience is that areas are very small and self-contained, which limits the puzzles.

It’s kind of nice as a game that resurrects the legendary series with crowdfunding, but compared with what the first Broken Sword was, a brilliant game (and one of those that could easily beat The Darkside Detective), it just doesn’t come close to it.

About BS4, I think that’s the most underrated game in the adventure genre. Personally I think it’s the second best BS game. They did the right thing by (almost) getting rid of Nico, too bad they didn’t have the courage to ditch her entirely. But every game after the first one has suffered from changing Nico from a relatively unimportant NPC to a co-protagonist. The worst is of course the Director’s Cut of the first game, where having Nico as a playable character changes the whole narrative and rhythm of the game. In the second game her presence worked, as it was a change from the first game, but after that it really became an unnecessary burden. (I’m not even going into the ridiculous way of somehow accidentally meeting Nico in every game…

I can echo this completely, although I’m probably more fond of BS3 than you are. One of the main problems with BS4 is indeed that Nico suddenly (and unexplainable) shows up mid-game. And BS5, while still an ok game, was kept from greatness because of the things you mention.

Again, I wouldn’t put any of the Broken Swords from this century up there with the very best games from the 90’s. Close with BS3 and BS4, but no cigar.

Still can’t agree with you on Darkside Detective. Not sure I’d even consider it to be up there with the best games of 2017…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Baron_Blubba - 06 March 2021 09:52 PM
Advie - 06 March 2021 07:05 PM
Baron_Blubba - 06 March 2021 06:17 PM

DoTT, but that’s the best adventure game ever made. .

but that is the idea, what are those close to those classics, doesn’t have to be as good.

This is a bit of a digression from your original post question but…

i think you can call it that, but it is only an act of desperation if there is nothing that can really compete with them

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

DOTT is the best adventure game will be ever made. That been said, and I know some purist will argue my statement that they are not adventure games, these games are so emotionally brilliant and can compete with 90’s classics: The Walking Dead season 1, Life is Strange season 1, To The Moon and Kentucky Road Zero.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Games that can compete with top level Golden Era titles:
Ghost Trick
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Trials & Tribulations
The Great Ace Attorney: The Adventure of Ryūnosuke Naruhodō
Ace Attorney Investigations 2
Hotel Dusk Room 215
The Walking Dead
Sam & Max Beyond Space and Time
Sam & Max The Devil’s Playhouse
Blackwell Epiphany
Technobabylon
Life is Strange
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
Unavowed
AI: The Somnium Files
Detention
Another Code R: Journey Into Lost Memories
9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Thimbleweed Park
Primordia
Heaven’s Vault

Games That Come Close:
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Another Code/Trace Memory
Detroit Become Human
Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
Blackwell Deception
Kathy Rain
Resonance
Dropsy
Paradigm
Journey Down Trilogy
Gray Matter
Roki
Tangle Tower
The Next Big Thing
Shardlight
2064: Read Only Memories
Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today
Beautiful Desolation
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
The Shivah
Tales of Monkey Island
Strong Bad’s Cool Game 4 Attractive People
The Book of Unwritten Tales

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I forgot Blackwell Epiphany!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

GateKeeper - 07 March 2021 02:27 AM

About BS4, I think that’s the most underrated game in the adventure genre. Personally I think it’s the second best BS game. They did the right thing by (almost) getting rid of Nico, too bad they didn’t have the courage to ditch her entirely. But every game after the first one has suffered from changing Nico from a relatively unimportant NPC to a co-protagonist. The worst is of course the Director’s Cut of the first game, where having Nico as a playable character changes the whole narrative and rhythm of the game. In the second game her presence worked, as it was a change from the first game, but after that it really became an unnecessary burden. (I’m not even going into the ridiculous way of somehow accidentally meeting Nico in every game…)

Baron_Blubba - 06 March 2021 09:52 PM

In Space Quest, none of the games save SQ 5 are very good games, although they are all fun experiences.

Space Quest V is really underrated, possibly because it’s one of the very few Sierra adventure games that wasn’t actually developed by Sierra. I really don’t understand why everyone keeps saying that the fourth game is brilliant. The idea of jumping from one sequel to another is brilliant, of course, but the game otherwise doesn’t match the level of the third game before it, or the fifth one that followed.

Main problem with BS4: George is a jerk. Really. In past games he was a little smug, but always in a very good natured and likable way. In BS4, he is sarcastic and cruel. I constantly found myself being forced to do things that I would never do in real life, and which I don’t think the George Stobbart of BS 1,2, and 3 would have done. The severe German imitation to get into the cookie factory? That was awful! Maybe because I’m playing it in English? Is this more tolerable in other languages?
The gameplay was just as bad…but I don’t have time to get into that now.

Regarding SQ V—yes indeed, it is underrated. It’s easily the best of the SQ series, and one of the better games of the era altogether. SQ 4 is not a great *game* but it is a great collection of experiences, a great adventure if you will. Visiting KQ 1, getting picked up by that giant bird and finding the dead Sequel Police, the entire Latex Babes scene -especially killing the giant monster-, the hilarious stuff in the mall, and the admittedly glitchy but so darkly atmospheric world of SQ XII—not to mention an AWESOME introduction. The gameplay that conducts you from one great scene to another is only okay, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
I think the same is true for almost all adventure games, actually. Grim Fandango—not the greatest in terms of puzzles—but one of the best games of all time in terms of overall experience.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2061

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Veovis - 07 March 2021 04:39 AM

Not sure I’d call Another Code (Trace Memory in the US) casual. As far as I remember it was very much about story and solving puzzles, using the DS functions in clever ways. Great game. But I would probably not put it up there with the best from the “golden era”. But definitely in the same league as Hotel Dusk and Ghost Trick on the DS, both also great games. Maybe you’re thinking of Another Code:R For the Wii? That was a big letdown and fit the bill of casual (or walking sim) I guess.

I think that’s because I read that the game is mixing visual novel style with not so hard puzzle solving and thought to myself that it might be a casual game. Although I watched a bit of playthrough and I’m not sure I like the way game is designed - dialogues are way too long and serious while the gameplay has a Myst feel, and not of the best kind, where puzzles are solved by navigating your Nintendo DS rather than figuring them out. I think I’ll play the Ace Attorney games for now since I have them anyway.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Doom - 08 March 2021 03:54 PM
Veovis - 07 March 2021 04:39 AM

I think that’s because I read that the game is mixing visual novel style with not so hard puzzle solving and thought to myself that it might be a casual game. Although I watched a bit of playthrough and I’m not sure I like the way game is designed - dialogues are way too long and serious while the gameplay has a Myst feel, and not of the best kind, where puzzles are solved by navigating your Nintendo DS rather than figuring them out. I think I’ll play the Ace Attorney games for now since I have them anyway.

I don’t think Trace Memory/Another Code is casual at all. There are some GREAT puzzles in that game, start to finish. Hotel Dusk, is, if anything, the more casual of the two. But even that, precursor to the walking simulator genre though it might be, is a far cry from today’s idea of a casual adventure game.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

don’t think Trace Memory/Another Code is casual at all.

Nope. Lots of cool puzzles in this game. This game was one of the first on the DS and I’ve played it many times. The DS had quite the run of adventure games and this one was a fave of mine on the system.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top