• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #64 – Oknytt

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

colpet - 18 January 2021 06:30 AM

An idea I had about the main character: The creature has emerged from a cairn of sorts. The farmers are no longer up to taking care of their land. Maybe they lost a child and are grieving? 

I am very curious about what ideas people will have regarding our little protagonist’s past (or even nature) during the game.  Smile

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Ok, I’ve been enjoying this one so far. Very different stylistically, but in a positive way. I’m generally not a huge fan of games that are heavily based on some kind of lore, but in this game it’s somehow organic and keeps me interested, I think the amazing narrator is a huge reason why. The voice-over is absolutely wonderful.

I’m going to second colpet on the “holding” to bring up action options statement. I also have been walking around for about 15 minutes with a feeling that I’m not getting something right until I discovered what I needed to do to pick-up/talk etc. From there on, the puzzles flowed very smoothly for me, and I haven’t really had any problems with solving them, aside making a few circles around the area before trying wetstone on the toolrack which made sense after that worked.

I usually rarely speculate on what the game represents until the very end, allowing the developer to show me everything he wanted to make any sort of conclusions, but since we’re on the topic then after the first chapter I thought of some kind of afterlife journey as a potential explanation. If there is one, of course. Sometimes these kind of games don’t have any hidden meaning and are just a fantasy story from beginning to end, but if it’s not the case - then that’s what I’m inclined to think so far.

Sefir, is asking whether Oknytt actually does represent something metaphorical or not appropriate as far as being spoiler-free?

Looking forward to Ch.2 It is definitely the kind of game that is able to put a player in a certain “mood” - dark, mysterious, yet somehow with positive undertones.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

DCast - 18 January 2021 07:56 PM

I usually rarely speculate on what the game represents until the very end, allowing the developer to show me everything he wanted to make any sort of conclusions, but since we’re on the topic then after the first chapter I thought of some kind of afterlife journey as a potential explanation. If there is one, of course. Sometimes these kind of games don’t have any hidden meaning and are just a fantasy story from beginning to end, but if it’s not the case - then that’s what I’m inclined to think so far.

Sefir, is asking whether Oknytt actually does represent something metaphorical or not appropriate as far as being spoiler-free?

Ah, but it is just a story told to us from a stranger we met near the fire!  Innocent

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve finished the first chapter. Having the narrator do all the voices works great, mainly due to the excellent voice acting.

For those who didn’t know, “oknytt” is a traditional Swedish name for small supernatural beings.

An idea I had about the main character: The creature has emerged from a cairn of sorts. The farmers are no longer up to taking care of their land. Maybe they lost a child and are grieving? 

There’s a name in Scandinavian folklore for a related being: Myling, a type of ghost of a newborn child that was killed by its mother and hidden. The hiding place could typically be a cairn, so the protagonist could definitely turn out to be a myling.

My first guess about the nature of the character was that it’s a dwarf (dvärg), since those were believed to live under rocks and represent the forces of nature. Another possibility is a small troll, a type of creatures that could have various properties attributed to it.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, what a quaint little game. Smile

Finished the first chapter, and I’m intrigued.
The dark graphics fit the “new moon” night, and it makes the splashes of light and colour all the more visible, while definitely still being its own “style”. And having everything presented as a story told by a narrator, gives it a high “fairy tale” vibe.

The narration is excellent, btw, with the different voices being well done by the actor. It’s like a superbly done bedtime story.

I’m glad colpet mentioned the “hold left-click to bring up the verb coin”, or I could have struggled for a bit.
And personally, the subtitles could be a tad bigger and in a slightly easier-to-read font.

The puzzles so far are a bit hit-and-miss. Several are well-clued-in and the actions to undertake are obvious (making oatmeal for instance), but others had me resorting to “using everything on everything” (making a fishing rod for instance). Fortunately they can easily be brute-forced because of the limited amount of screens, hotspots and inventory items.

I’m going to refrain from commenting too much on the nature of our little “insignificant” protagonist. Either he’s just a small troll-like creature having an adventure or there’s a greater scope with him being some form of wandering soul - since he did crawl out from under a burial mound. Let me give the game some time to make the purpose (if there even is one) clearer… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Of course RL gets in the way. Will start the game tomorrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Pegbiter - 19 January 2021 06:56 AM

I’ve finished the first chapter. Having the narrator do all the voices works great, mainly due to the excellent voice acting.

For those who didn’t know, “oknytt” is a traditional Swedish name for small supernatural beings.

There’s a name in Scandinavian folklore for a related being: Myling, a type of ghost of a newborn child that was killed by its mother and hidden. The hiding place could typically be a cairn, so the protagonist could definitely turn out to be a myling.

My first guess about the nature of the character was that it’s a dwarf (dvärg), since those were believed to live under rocks and represent the forces of nature. Another possibility is a small troll, a type of creatures that could have various properties attributed to it.

Thank you for that background information.
Dcast and TimovieMan mentioned the unique style of the game. I agree that though it is dark and foreboding, the narrator’s tone and style take it down to the level of a child’s story, so it is not scary, just atmospheric. The background sound and music must also be mentioned as very fitting for the story. It gives a sense of place and time, and is unlike anything I’ve heard in a game before.

OT: Is there anyway I can increase the font of the reply box? The writing is so tiny…it is hard to see and manipulate the cursor on my iPad.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I think something like ‘‘Goblin’’ is the rough translation.

We will meet many original beings like the ones we did in the first chapter.  Smile

TimovieMan - 19 January 2021 11:11 AM

Well, what a quaint little game. Smile
The puzzles so far are a bit hit-and-miss. Several are well-clued-in and the actions to undertake are obvious (making oatmeal for instance), but others had me resorting to “using everything on everything” (making a fishing rod for instance). Fortunately they can easily be brute-forced because of the limited amount of screens, hotspots and inventory items.

This is not going to change much I’m afraid. The vast majority of the puzzles are inventory based ones and in similar style to the ones you already met in ch.1. Ofc there are other kind of puzzles as well, but there are much fewer.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve finished chapter one. Enjoyed it so far. Fun meeting the gårdstomte, the hustomte and älvor, all part of Scandinavian folklore. Actually the gårdstomte and hustomte are kind of predecessors to the Scandinavian jul(christmas)tomte, that is basically the equivalent of Santa Claus and Father Christmas in other countries. Only the gårdstomte and hustomte are supposed to be quite mean figures who demand sacrifices in the form of bowls of porridge in order not to break things around the house and garden (or even sabotage harvests iirc).

Like Pegbiter my first thought was that the protagonist is a myling, the ghost of a child murdered by his or her mother before being christened. Supported by the fact that there is a cross over that pile of stones. But the shape is a bit odd for being the ghost of a newborn child. But on the other hand the shape is odd for being anything!

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’m not familiar with Swedish/Scandinavian folklore at all, so I’m learning a lot from all of your comments

What’s interesting is that there’s a similar being in Slavic folklore “the keeper of the house” - domovoi which has an attitude close to what Veovis described and is also considerably mean. You need to “respect” his wishes and pacify temper tantrums in order for him to run the house and not ruin things. There’s a similar thing who is like the “keeper of the forest” - leshii.
I guess many folk tales have similar beings, and they share characteristics that are very alike. Lots of them are cantankerous as hell, and can do malicious things if unhappy

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

DCast - 20 January 2021 03:21 PM

What’s interesting is that there’s a similar being in Slavic folklore “the keeper of the house” - domovoi which has an attitude close to what Veovis described and is also considerably mean. You need to “respect” his wishes and pacify temper tantrums in order for him to run the house and not ruin things. There’s a similar thing who is like the “keeper of the forest” - leshii.

Yes, there were a couple of those in Quest for Glory 4.

I’m in the middle of the chapter (I guess), although I already pleased both keepers and now stuck a bit thinking what to do next. The atmosphere is nice and peaceful, the idea with one narrator is interesting (to be fair, I’m still not sure whether I like it, sometimes he sounds overacting), the pace is a little slow (attributed by the slow walking speed), the 3D characters are ok (didn’t expect 3D in this game, to be honest), puzzles are good, solutions - not always clear: I randomly used the power of elements, and there were some wild pixel-hunting moments. But overall I’m enjoying the game, very traditional to my surprise (I was also expecting some Samorost ripoff)) and with a special fairy tale touch.

I think the creature is just your typical new-born hero with no name or memory, the kind you play in many RPGs. But I guess there’s some backstory - again, similar to RPGs. Most probably rooted in the Scandinavian mythology which is very rich.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Doom - 20 January 2021 04:47 PM

Yes, there were a couple of those in Quest for Glory 4.

Never played it.  Confused   Yet.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I just started the game and only really tested it a bit. The creature is super cute and the atmosphere of the game is great. It’s an interesting game for sure.

But really I just came to comment here how I thought I had lost the game for Steam library. It wasn’t visible in recent games and couldn’t even find it searching my library. And I just downloaded and tested it a few days ago! But then at least I found the game from store and was able to launch it from the store page. And now it seems to be “back” in my library. Scary.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am really enjoying the game. I’m just about to the end of chapter one. Part of my lack of contact is because I am having great difficulty maintaining a log-in presence on AG. This has happened before, and I don’t know the cause.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 21 January 2021 09:31 PM

I am really enjoying the game. I’m just about to the end of chapter one. Part of my lack of contact is because I am having great difficulty maintaining a log-in presence on AG. This has happened before, and I don’t know the cause.

You and me both. Every time I come back to the forum, I am logged out, despite ticking the ‘keep me logged in’ box when I log in again.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top