• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

BitingWit - 14 July 2017 02:11 PM

I can sympathize chrissie but didn’t you know what to expect from Daedelic whose stories are generally snooze-inducing? A New Beginning and the Deponia series are much worse.

I really didn’t want to start yet another debate about Daedelic games & actually I liked A New Beginning! Also the Deponia series will never feature amongst my favourite games but the 1st 2 in the series were to me far more engaging than NotR! I will confess to struggling with AWW but found it ok as far as I got. I’ve yet to play the Edna & Harvey games both of which I bought in a sale a few years ago!
I’m still trying to persist with NotR but now even more boringly with walkthrough in hand - I need to give up really because as much as I try it’s really not my scene but I want to get to the end of it as I hate giving up on games.   
Cry

NickyLarson - 16 July 2017 03:54 PM

I’ve just started playing Cognition.

Yes!  Thumbs Up That’s a game that did engage me throughout all of the episodes - I couldn’t stop playing!  Smile

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thank you, dumbeur and chrissie! I’ve kept playing for a bit and I find it quite compelling indeed. I think I’ll get the episodes 2-4 bundle straight after finishing this one!

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2017-03-20

PM

Advie - 21 April 2017 03:46 AM

Playing Firewatch, very cool and soothing.. does the choices made at the beginning makes any difference, whether this or that?

Naw, I think it’s just flavour. At least, based on my couple run-throughs. Still, excellent atmosphere, and I love games that try to just be a slice-of-life. Very well made!

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Playing The Last Guardian. Dunno if that counts as adventure, it’s kind of a halfway adventure-platformer.

It’s a seriously flawed game, but one with a lot of charm, and a really great core relationship between the player character and his animal companion. Despite its flaws, it’s a pretty special game.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Frogacuda - 17 July 2017 10:51 PM

Playing The Last Guardian. Dunno if that counts as adventure, it’s kind of a halfway adventure-platformer.

It’s a seriously flawed game, but one with a lot of charm, and a really great core relationship between the player character and his animal companion. Despite its flaws, it’s a pretty special game.

Does it live up to Ico and Shadow of the Colossus? I loved both of those but haven’t got a PS4…

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

GF remastered is as good as ever, however some puzzles are ultra annoying
That Tree farm puzzle
Commentary is nice to know inspirations
Saving the game takes 20 to 1 min on ps4, should have quicksave option

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’m playing two games at the moment.

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel
A very old but very good Sherlock Holmes game; probably the best one out there. It’s so old you have to play it in Dosbox and it takes some fiddling with the settings to have it play smoothly. In this game, Sherlock and Watson are investigating the brutal murder of an actress. At first sight the case looks quite simple but during the investigation more and more strange things become apparent. The attention to detail is superb, the story is good, the puzzles are hard, the graphics are good for that time and the game even has some funny dialogue and delightful red herrings.

Toby’s Nose
Another Sherlock holmes game. It’s a text adventure that you can play online here or in Frotz on the iPhone. You play as Toby, Sherlocks dog. Sherlock has gathered some people together in a closed room in which a dead body is also present. It’s up to you to find out who the murderer is. When you are sure you know who it it you can bark at the person of your choice.
Of course, being a dog means that you have a very limited amount of things you can do. While you can examine the various people and objects in the room, you can’t pick them up and interact much with them. But you have your smell, and you have been out investigating with Holmes before the game started. You have to piece the events leading up to the murder together using the memory of all the things you smelled and heard durign the investigation. It’s great fun and quite hard.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

tsa - 05 August 2017 11:06 AM

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Serrated Scalpel

I thoroughly enjoyed this game. I would love to play its sequel (not story-wise, but they’re both part of a series), The Case of the Rose Tattoo, unfortunately I could never get it to run properly on DosBOX, unlike the first instalment. I’ll just cross my fingers in hope it gets picked by GOG at some point.

Toby’s nose sounds really nice, I’m not a die-hard fan of text-adventures but I love Sherlock Holmes, so I think I’ll give it a go!

I’m finishing Cognition, playing Episode 4 and hesitating whether to stall and make it last longer, or give in to my urge and play through the rest of it in one go - I always have a hard time finishing the games I enjoy, I hate seeing them end.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I don’t remember having serious problems with The Rose Tattoo so if you like I can help you with the configuration of DOSBox for it.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

tsa - 06 August 2017 01:36 AM

I don’t remember having serious problems with The Rose Tattoo so if you like I can help you with the configuration of DOSBox for it.

Thank you for your kind offer. Actually, after writing my message, I went through my old files and decided to give it another go just in case, and this time it seems to work smoothly. I didn’t even have to configure anything manually - my complaint was completely unfounded Grin I remember it was the setsound program with which I had trouble, but I’ve changed computers since, so maybe it was related to my old hardware.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel actually can be played via ScummVM, which requires even less configuration and runs quite smoothly.

ScummVM doesn’t emulate DOS but, to the level I understand it, has various game engines implemented within the system, so it only requires certain assets to be available for the engine to us. This works also for most Sierra games these days.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

subbi - 06 August 2017 09:07 AM

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel actually can be played via ScummVM, which requires even less configuration and runs quite smoothly.

ScummVM doesn’t emulate DOS but, to the level I understand it, has various game engines implemented within the system, so it only requires certain assets to be available for the engine to us. This works also for most Sierra games these days.

I read that too but I couldn’t find a link that points to a ScummVM version and also works. So I settled for the DOSBox version, which is a pity because allegedly the ScummVM version has talkies.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I would love to play it but where would one even pick up a copy of the game at this point?

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2017-08-07

PM

Hellooo!

(First post in this forum)

Currently I’m playing “I have no mouth and I must scream”. I don’t know why, as I played several genre related games years ago, this little gem went completely unnoticed by me. Well, glad it went, so now I can savor it in a different way, and in my tablet!

I’m just loving every bit of it and already am at the last character on the far right (pun almost intended for those who know the story).

Annoying point: this is one of those games that lets you progress without having all you need and then you get stuck endless hours just to notice later (via walkthrough) that you should have done this and that before, so now you can’t do anything else than restart from your last saved game. I was really missing this kind of dynamics, anyway Smile

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi hodepine & welcome to Adventure Gamers! Smile

A few of us took part in a Community Playthrough for IHNMAIMS a few years ago HERE
Just scroll down, if you’re interested, towards the bottom of the page to post #59 to get past the initial chitchat. Laughing

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top