• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best Sherlock Holmes adventure game?

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I am sure all the games mentioned are great. But I could never acclimate myself to Frogwares’ 360-degree interface. I hated it. Never got through the first game, and never tried any of the others. Instant nausea/dizziness.

Unfortunately, I can’t think of any non-Frogwares/non-casual Sherlock Holmes games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 07 December 2016 08:22 PM

I wanted to write as essay on the topic, but then realized that Iznogood already did it for me. Thanks, I own you one, pal! Thumbs Up

You’re welcome Innocent

Renacimiento - 07 December 2016 09:18 PM

Iz talks about an almost impossible time sequence near the end and the truth I had to remember to what part of the game he was talking about because I didn’t remember any, I think now he refers to the sequence in the park?, If so, it does not seem to me at all something impossible to sort out, it is quite simple and besides it is just that small part. It is definitely not cause for any frustration.

With all due respect then I think you might have repressed the horrors of that sequence; either that or you have impeccable mouse handling skills Wink

It is indeed at the abbeys park, and it is a timed maze we have to navigate while picking up some items. Now I think most here agree that mazes are not our favourite type of puzzles, and most hate timed puzzles even more, so combining these two and making a timed maze ...

But that is not the main problem, the main problem is that we have only 1 minute to complete it, but if we calculate Holmes running speed, factor in the responsiveness or lag of the system, the inventory operating speed etc, then the theoretical minimum amount of time required is 59.99 seconds, leaving us with a whopping 1/100 second of buffer for errors Meh (and I’m only slightly exaggerating, there really isn’t much buffer for any errors)

Now if the game had had the same direct controls as the sequels, then it could have been only a minor annoyance, but when you also factor in the wanky controls, then it becomes an almost impassable barrier , and something that many never managed to complete on their own.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

CaptainRottingham - 07 December 2016 06:22 PM
mill - 29 October 2016 11:30 AM

Two of them are on sale right now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/11190/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/11140/

Thanks.  Tbh I’ve never really understood steam.

Five of Frogwares’ Sherlock games are currently on sale at GOG for 75% off.
https://www.gog.com/games?sort=bestselling&search=sherlock&page=1

CaptainRottingham - 07 December 2016 06:22 PM

is there just a way to dl and play offline without steam?  (I’m on mac OSX btw, so prob not?)

You can download and play with the GOG versions, but I don’t think any of Frogwares’ Sherlock games have Mac versions.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Iznogood - 08 December 2016 05:02 AM

With all due respect then I think you might have repressed the horrors of that sequence; either that or you have impeccable mouse handling skills Wink

It is indeed at the abbeys park, and it is a timed maze we have to navigate while picking up some items. Now I think most here agree that mazes are not our favourite type of puzzles, and most hate timed puzzles even more, so combining these two and making a timed maze ...

But that is not the main problem, the main problem is that we have only 1 minute to complete it, but if we calculate Holmes running speed, factor in the responsiveness or lag of the system, the inventory operating speed etc, then the theoretical minimum amount of time required is 59.99 seconds, leaving us with a whopping 1/100 second of buffer for errors Meh (and I’m only slightly exaggerating, there really isn’t much buffer for any errors)

Now if the game had had the same direct controls as the sequels, then it could have been only a minor annoyance, but when you also factor in the wanky controls, then it becomes an almost impassable barrier , and something that many never managed to complete on their own.

Nah, I don’t think I have a flawless ability with the mouse. It was simply a matter of trying two or three times, at most, and that was enough.

Let’s see, I too dislike puzzles with time, and indeed any type of game that involves a sequence of time is very annoying, however I think Silver Earring sequence to which you refer is minimal and just one and only consists of grabbing a bottle and looking for water through some roads, the first time is normal to fail but the second time you get it without much problem since you already know where you have to go, but you with those calculations of probabilities you make it look like it’s impossible to achieve and I do not think that’s the case at all imo.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 07 December 2016 09:37 PM

I am sure all the games mentioned are great. But I could never acclimate myself to Frogwares’ 360-degree interface. I hated it. Never got through the first game, and never tried any of the others. Instant nausea/dizziness.

Tim, after The Mystery of the Mummy & The Case of the Silver Earring neither of which present any problem to anyone suffering from motion sickness, Frogwares released Remastered versions of The Awakened & Nemesis specifically to alleviate the nauseating 3D effect for some players where you have the option to play in 3rd person which trust me is a lot more comfortable. In those games as with Jack the Ripper you have the option to switch between 3 different viewpoints where 3rd person is the more ‘static’ but you may have to revert to other viewpoints for short periods to investigate further/solve a puzzle! Much better! I think Frogwares continued those options for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes & also Crimes & Punishments - I didn’t have any problems with motion sickness on playing either of them! I don’t know about The Devil’s Daughter though!    Smile

I forgot to mention which one I thought was the best - well my least favourite is the Mystery of the Mummy but I liked all of the following games for different reasons! If I had to pick a favourite it’s Jack the Ripper for some of the quite accurately portrayed historical content.

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Resurrecting my own thread to report that I just replayed E/A’s 1996 masterpiece The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo, and it was amazing. 

For all its faults (probably too long, nonlinearity to the point of completely losing sight of objectives, tinny musical score production, only one actress for every female part), I doubt there has ever been such a well written and wholly immersive story for a video game, ever.  To say that attention to detail was at the fore of the developers’ creative intent would be an understatement.  R.J. Berg’s plot is as intricate and expertly woven as any Conan Doyle yarn, and the dialogue and specificity of language are so authentic and expertly spun it’s almost shocking.  The different locations are all unique and wonderfully immersive, and nearly everything can be clicked on to reveal a paragraph of Victorian descriptive gold.

This is as good as it will probably ever get for a Sherlock adventure game.  The shrinking attention spans of younger, perhaps less literary players who are accustomed to fast-paced 1st person POV action games, combined with an increasing lack of exposure to (and appreciation for) Victorian authenticity (i.e. people seeing the Sherlock TV series or, God forbid, the Guy Ritchie films instead of reading the Doyle canon), will make a game this authentic nearly impossible in future.  But at least we have this one!  The prequel “Serrated Scalpel” is excellent as well.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

Did you get a physical copy of the game or through somewhere like GOG? I’d love to check it out!

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Serrated Scalpel and Rose Tattoo don’t appear to be available for (legitimate) download at the moment, which is sad. The good news is that they are supported under ScummVM, so if you can get hold of a physical copy it shouldn’t be too hard to get it working on a current computer.

On a related note, I enjoyed reading this paper recently - it critiques existing Sherlock Holmes games and considers how to design one truer to the original stories:
The Game’s Afoot: Designing Sherlock Holmes

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I’m ressurecting this old thread because I’m currently playing (and enjoying) The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, and I’m trying to figure out which other Sherlock game I could get next.
Any advice ?

chrissie - 08 December 2016 01:09 PM

I think Frogwares continued those options for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

Absolutely, you can choose the camera mode, including fixed camera which can’t induce motion sickness (but it’s not perfect either).

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes is my favorite game from them. I definitely like playing in 3rd person and I also like it that if I am getting frustrated that I can’t figure out a puzzle, that they have the skip button. I think this is my favorite game of the series.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Ninth - 18 September 2018 08:09 AM

I’m ressurecting this old thread because I’m currently playing (and enjoying) The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, and I’m trying to figure out which other Sherlock game I could get next.
Any advice ?

They’re all good so my advice is to play them all. If memory serves correct I would say that The Awakened is the one most similar to Testament. Crimes & Punishments is still my favourite though, followed by the Lupin-game.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Henke - 18 September 2018 08:08 PM

Crimes & Punishments is still my favourite though, followed by the Lupin-game.

I second this. Although, for someone who likes to have a “skip puzzle” button, Lupin might not be the best choice. Some of the puzzles can be challenging.

Here is how I would rank the Frogwares games:
1. Crimes & Punishments
2. Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin
3. The Awakened
4. The Devil’s Daughter
5. Testament of Sherlock Holmes
6. Jack the Ripper

(I have not played the other two, Mystery of the Mummy and Case of the Silver Earring)

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Haven’t played the last two yet, but here’s my ranking:

1. Vs Arsene Lupin (or Nemesis I believe it was called in the US)
2. The Awakened
3. Jack the Ripper
4. Testament
5. The Silver Earring
-
-
-
-
-
200. Mystery of the Mummy

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Veovis - 19 September 2018 07:57 AM

Haven’t played the last two yet, but here’s my ranking:

1. Vs Arsene Lupin (or Nemesis I believe it was called in the US)

Thanks for that, I was getting confused with this Lupin thing. Smile

Nemesis seems to get a good place in most rankings ; I guess if I buy another Sherlock game this will be the one.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Of all Sherlock games I played (by Frogwares) I’d rate Jack the Ripper as the best one, followed by The Awakened and Arsene Lupin which I - as a fan of both Sherlock and Lupin novels - found to be the weakest game in the series. Serrated Scalpel and Rose Tattoo were much superior. If I was Frogwares, I would’ve remade them for the new generation.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top