• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #53 Whispers of a Machine

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, in some ways playing this game is like playing a golden age adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have now finished the game a third time, going the assertive path. This time, I activated Fenrir and did not keep the baby. I assume this means I have now also seen all the three main endings.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I just played this game through and felt like commenting, so I headed back here. It’s been a while.

Quick search didn’t bring up other threads for the game.

I very much liked this game, of course all this cyberpunk and noir stuff is right in my alley, but I was glad I wasn’t disappointed after having high expectations.

I quite liked the puzzles, the only one I have a slight problem with is the oxygen valve one. I didn’t immediately think about using my augment to check the baby’s status and was quite stumped when none of the valve settings did anything. When using the augment, the change was immediate, yet without the augment active, the computer just didn’t update the status even with the right setting. This felt like “cheating” to me.

I had no real issues with any other puzzles, most were decent or good. I liked the idea of augments and the possibility of having different skills for different ways to solve puzzles.

After completing the game, I wasn’t really that keen on playing the whole thing again just to see a few different ways to solve puzzles and see the different last 5 minutes of the story. So I checked the alternate endings from YouTube.

I myself was very interested in the AI, I definitely would have wanted to bring it to life if it weren’t for having to experiment on an innocent baby and the super creepy dead boyfriend pressuring way too hard. I gathered that since Alex was a blue-induced hallucination, his behaviour really didn’t paint a pretty picture of the possible AI to come.

From the history lessons I didn’t really learn any reasons to actually be afraid of the AI. It seemed that people started panicking and fighting before AI actually did anything bad. So I really was intrigued if the AI could be something to launch the humanity into a Star Trek type of utopia. The fear of technology seemed pretty superstitious.

My ending was running the Fenrir (I tried running the Huldra but couldn’t use it on the baby) and adopting the baby myself. It was a nice enough ending.

Considering my expectations for the AI I was quite disappointed in the Huldra ending. I understand that it’s not really necessary to show the player what will happen in the long run, but I would have hoped that my thoughts about the history and/or the weird behaviour or blue had been addressed to some extent.

I had to look a long time for the “3rd ending”, which wasn’t really an ending, just a slightly worse version of the other Fenrir ending.

One weird thing was that I really had the impression that the baby was a boy, and at no point on my playthrough I noticed anything contradicting this. Huldra was kind of a female but I didn’t think the AI’s gender would matter. After checking the endings from YouTube, everyone is talking about “she” and “daughter” though and I feel like I’ve been dreaming. I was sure it was “son” in my playthrough. What’s going on?! Grin

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

The sex of the baby is random every new game.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

walas74 - 23 March 2020 08:45 PM

The sex of the baby is random every new game.

That’s pretty neat. I guess this was already discussed here, but I didn’t read the entire thread, only some of the last pages.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, I need to play this game again, mine was male both times I played it, gotta get a female baby on a playthrough!

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top