• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelzobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2020

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2019-10-03

PM

Advie - 14 February 2021 11:26 AM

let me just say that it seems obvious that there is nothing great or memorable about adventure games this year, generally speaking.

You and I must have played very different games, then. For me personally this was one of the best years for the genre in recent memory. I played six titles that were instant all-timers for me, and that’s without even having gotten to several I still want to play.

Former AG staff writer Will Aickman

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Cicerone53 - 14 February 2021 07:47 PM

let me just say that it seems obvious that there is nothing great or memorable about adventure games this year, generally speaking.

You and I must have played very different games, then. For me personally this was one of the best years for the genre in recent memory. I played six titles that were instant all-timers for me, and that’s without even having gotten to several I still want to play.

I agree, 2020 was the best year for adventures I can think of in a long while.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

PlanetX - 14 February 2021 11:36 PM

to tell the truth, i played almost like 5-6 ags of that year, and that is a small percentage to the almost 100 that came out, i guess i will have to wait for the aggies final results to pick few things I’ve missed. but however, i am so reluctant to the idea that this could be one of the best years in recent times

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2021-01-19

PM

PlanetX - 14 February 2021 11:36 PM

I really like how indies are making a comeback and giving the community what they want.
That’s why I like games like Beautifuul Desolation because they push that boundary between whats mainstream. I will always have a place in my heart for the classic AGS games but if we want more gamers to enjoy this genre then we need more titles that blur the line.
Beyond a Steel Sky tried it as well, but I’d have liked a bit of a truer sequel visually.

Been playing games since ‘82

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

larrygrover - 16 February 2021 02:59 AM

I will always have a place in my heart for the classic AGS games but if we want more gamers to enjoy this genre then we need more titles that blur the line.

Do we want that? And what for?

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Luhr28 - 16 February 2021 03:46 AM

I will always have a place in my heart for the classic AGS games but if we want more gamers to enjoy this genre then we need more titles that blur the line.

Honestly, we’re all invested in a rather archaic genre, especially in regards to it’s mechanics. It’s been declared dead and it’s revival has mostly been focused on streamlining old school gameplay. I like how the narratives have expanded, but honestly, mechanically, we still play educated guessing games.

I don’t know if genre fusion* is the best way to grow, but it’s cool, I think? I don’t really know, but I do like what larrygrover says about more people being able to enjoy the genre.

And I’m really tempering myself not to go completely off topic. I think the only 2020 AG game we’ve played in this household was “When The Past Was Around”. Loved it. Considered voting for it in some category, but since I didn’t play any other AG released in 2020, that seemed a bit absurd.

I’m curious to discover if 2020 was a great year for adventure games. In general, I’m with Advie, I saw a lot of titles that seemed cool, but nothing that demanded attention. Maybe that was just the sheer amount of games and my lack of time and discernment, so I’ll definitely check out this list once it’s released!

* - I may have misunderstood this point. I thought it was about blurring lines between a popular and a niche genre, but it might be more about style, presentation, budget, etc!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

are you seriously not getting what Larrygrover talking about or are you in distaste?

that is the problem actually (and i am sorry that i always see problems with the current state of the genre) ’ blurring the line’ is what most adventure games devs are trying to do, so they can keep the original adventure fans while adding new of the mainstream.

Beautiful Deslotion, is an example, i didn’t like it but many did, and i mean that it leans more into being likable than my own opinion of it, but the devs are ‘back on track’ with the new upcoming Statis2 which is something i am delighted for.

this year 2021 looks different, and i am really pleased about it, only 2 months past its start and there are like 5 classics released already. with 2 new ones added by the end of March. I am expecting a great year for classic fans.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yea, we got at best 3 AA games this year and the rest indies. It’s been this way for awhile also. The good news is that the last AAA game we got - Detroit Became Human was a big hit with millions in sales.

The good news is - I like the indies, most are well done and fun to play. The main advantage in the market is most adventure games sell for a long time, most adventure gamers have no problem playing 5 - 15 year old games and even older. Whereas genres like FPS start out at 60 dollars and are selling for 5 bucks in 4 years.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Adv_Lvr - 16 February 2021 02:05 PM

The good news is that the last AAA game we got - Detroit Became Human was a big hit with millions in sales.

Like pretty much every other game by Quantic Dream, even Omikron sold surprisingly well despite it was developed for Dreamcast (and despite being hard as hell).

The main advantage in the market is most adventure games sell for a long time, most adventure gamers have no problem playing 5 - 15 year old games and even older. Whereas genres like FPS start out at 60 dollars and are selling for 5 bucks in 4 years.

Funny. I just recently visited the Hugo’s House of Horrors official website, aaand yep, the developer is still selling the trilogy for 10 bucks, slightly adjusted to run on modern systems (he suggests to use Scummvm) Smile 30 years after the initial release, now that’s dedication.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Advie - 16 February 2021 09:02 AM

are you seriously not getting what Larrygrover talking about or are you in distaste?

that is the problem actually (and i am sorry that i always see problems with the current state of the genre) ’ blurring the line’ is what most adventure games devs are trying to do, so they can keep the original adventure fans while adding new of the mainstream.

I seriously am not getting what you guys are talking about. Yes. Seriously.  Neutral

The idea seems to be this:
1. We need new fans! More people to buy adventure games
2. Okay then, so what do we do? They don’t even like adventure games
3. Well obv we need to change them. Make them LESS like adventure games!
4. Ahh, yeah. That’s cool. Neat idea. Then they’ll play them, right?
5. Totally! Then we’ll have a bustling, top-selling adventure games scene again. Hundreds of new adv games to play each week. Just like in the 90s!
6. Totally, dude.

No one sees anything wrong with this line of thought?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 16 February 2021 02:58 PM
Adv_Lvr - 16 February 2021 02:05 PM

The main advantage in the market is most adventure games sell for a long time, most adventure gamers have no problem playing 5 - 15 year old games and even older. Whereas genres like FPS start out at 60 dollars and are selling for 5 bucks in 4 years.

Funny. I just recently visited the Hugo’s House of Horrors official website, aaand yep, the developer is still selling the trilogy for 10 bucks, slightly adjusted to run on modern systems (he suggests to use Scummvm) Smile 30 years after the initial release, now that’s dedication.

You guys are talking nonsense now.

Every game made by DoubleFine has been in some free giveaway or in some bundle for pennies, so if they were such good sellers, why give them away for free?

On the other hand, old FPS games are selling just as well, or even better, than old adventure games. Just recently GOG released Heretic + Hexen collection and it was well received by gamers.

As far as prices dropping go, these days almost any game makes most money during the first few months after its release. After that, the price will usually drop. There are some exceptions to this, like all kinds of DLCs but that’s another story.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am only going to post one more time on the subject because we are supposed to be talking Aggies here.

I’ve bought 2 FPS games that were highly reviewed and dropped like a brick in value one was:

Perfect Dark: Zero for the XBox 360, I paid $59.95 for it. three years later I bought a copy for a friend for 5 bucks.

I also bought Killzone Shadow Fall three years after it was released for the PS4 and I paid a big 5 bucks for the game and it got solid reviews too.

Three years after it was released, I bought a copy of the original Ace Attorney game for the DS and paid full retail for it.

Four years after it was released, I bought a copy of the original Prof Layton game and paid full retail for it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Not sure if I’m included in the guys that are apparently hard to understand, but I’d like to respond to Gatekeeper and Luhr28. However, this thread doesn’t seem like the place, since we’re going completely off-topic.

So I made a new post, I hope that’s cool: https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/15247/

Still looking forward to the Aggies of 2020!

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Well, this time I absolutely agree with Adventuregamer’s choice of the best adventure of 2020: There Is No Game. Great choice and a prefect one-man game, although I’m still torn apart between No Game and Lair of the Clockwork God (a two-men game). Also for the first or second time I absolutely disagree with the reader’s choice, which is… surprisingly Röki. But then I didn’t vote since, well, I forgot to and I played too few games anyway. But I’m alright with most of the winners. Should really play Beyond a Steel Sky and Larry.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Two of the games I played in 2020 that were 2020 games got Aggies. I agree with The Complex getting the best acting Aggie, the acting in that game is quite good. Cloudpunk got a silver Aggie for best cyberpunk game, which I agree with, THE GAME HAS A MAJOR BLADERUNNER feel to it, which I liked.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top