• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #64 – Oknytt

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Welcome everyone to the Oknytt AG Community playthrough!!!

Oknytt is a charming game that received praise from many media and was a candidate for a community playthrough here for years. I have a soft spot for it and I am exremely pleased that a chance was given to it to finally shine.  Smile

Oknytt was created in 2013 by Nemoria entertainment. It is a traditional point n click 3rd person adventure game with many unique elements.

The story: The entire game is basically a -somewhat simplistic- story of a ‘‘small, insignificant creature’‘, told to us, by an unknown narrator. It is a dark faerie tale, inspired by Swedish folklore. Many creatures, locations and situations in the game are extremely unique and adds to the distinctive element of the game. There is an encyclopedia-option in the menu where details of what we meet are presented. Smile
Though the story is kinda bleak, and many of the creatures we meet can be grotesque, we will never walk into scary material. And since we talk about darkness, time to meet another element of the game.

The graphics: Do not expect excellent hand-drawn graphics, etc. They are good, but that’s it. It is the style that is the distinctive element here. They are all in (almost) black and white. Or more specifically, dark sepia colors, that add to the ‘‘old story that it is told’’ perspective and I personally find them very fitting. Despite the colors, necessary details and style are distinctive. The creatures we meet and the world in general are drawn in a very storybook-like manner that also adds to the ‘‘we never walk in scary territory’’ effect.

The sound: IMHO, one of the best parts of the game. Since Oknytt is but a story told to us, every voice in the game comes from the same voice actor (Brian Hall), who narrates the story. Every comment our protagonist makes, every creature we meet, every comment the narrator says. It is personally one of the best voice actor performances I have ever witness in a game.

The gameplay: Oknytt is a very traditional point’n click adventure. The cursor uses a variation of the well-known ‘‘coin’’ and it is very practical. We use it to grab, talk to or read things. There is inventory where all our items are stored like most traditional games of the genre. The somewhat unique gameplay element of the game comes from the small creature’s ability to control the 4 elements (fire, water, air, earth). Whenever you try to use any of them in any screen you can be rewarded with a small animation that can be something entirely insignificant (like f.e. earth can cause some grass to grow) or something entirely necessary for a puzzle. In general I always tried all my powers in every screen. Even small animations were cute and greeted with a smile from me as a reward.

The puzzles: Oknytt is a somewhat hard game. There is a good variation in puzzles (Inventory, interaction, exploration, etc), but many of them can be hard. Nothing in Discworld levels, thank God, but there were some instances where some inventory combinations were kinda illogical, an area of interaction was hard to find causing pixel hunting or a puzzle was hard on its own. But this is why we are all together in this and warnings or tips will be given if needed. In general though, the game is hard but fair.

Oknytt is available through Stream so it is easy obtainable. Unfortunately, it is Windows only (Sorry Lady K….  Cry ).

We will offcicially start the playthrough in 18/01, giving time to everyone obtain the game and solve any possible technical issues (or finishing previous AGC Playthroughs Wink ).

Finally, as always, the usual and necessary request to everyone to stay on topic, use spoiler tags whenever needed and generally join in a good-heart spirit.

Whoever has the game installed and ready to go, please confirm it below. Also, please inform if this is your first time of the game or not.

EDIT: Pin the thread please.  Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m installed and ready to start. Cool

As often happens, this will be my first time playing the game. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’ve bought and installed the game. This will be the first time I play it. Looks intriguing!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I started playing this a few years ago, liked it but for some reason never got very far into it. IIRC it is based on Swedish/Scandinavian folklore, a little like Year Walk but with a more traditional adventure game feel and interface.

Maybe I’ll try to participate in this one, which would be a first.Smile

Edit: Installed and working.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Installed the game, ready to start the playthrough.

Edit: it’s my first time, just like everyone’s else) As I wrote in the voting thread, I don’t even know what to expect from the game. Only from Sefir’s description I learned that it’s a traditional inventory-based adventure - and I like that.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Installed the game, ready to play!
Edit: First time playing.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Installed and ready. First timer.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t like the Steam-only option. And I don’t like playing a current CPT before I have finished the last one. But I’ve downloaded the game. Do not know if it is installed yet. I’ve not played it before. But it sounded too intriguing to pass up. Should be able to let you know tomorrow if I’m ready to go.

Edit: Got to the main menu page, so I guess it’s running.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

There is only one person that we still wait from the voters (Colpet). I don’t know if they still wish to join, but since the vast majority is here, I believe it will be fine in giving the green light to start tomorrow.

I forgot to mention that the game is divided in 5 chapters. The last 2 are bigger and harder than the others, so we might need to divide those as well or at the very least give them some extra time.

I believe that a 1 week/chapter ratio will be a normal pace for the playthrough. Ofc we can change that depending on everyone’s progress.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I have installed the game and am ready to play. I have not played this game before.
I’m sorry to be late in replying. I work all week, and mostly only have time to play games on the weekend. Because of this, I may just start the game now to be able to participate in discussions if most of you play on weekdays.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vets rule!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

rtrooney - 17 January 2021 12:14 AM

Vets rule!

Thanks Smile  . I am happy to be playing games again. Upgrading the computer was essential, but our lockdowns, and being incredibly busy at work is still limiting my down time. Everyone is getting new pets, or wanting to ensure that their current pets are absolutely healthy.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

OK everyone!!! Time to get started!!!

You have 1 week (until the 24th of January) to finish the first chapter of the game.

Explore!! Use your powers!!! The protagonist and the narrator have a comment for everything. Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A few questions before starting.

Are there any shortcut keystrokes we should know about.

Can you die? This looks like autosave. If so, what can you do to avoid starting from scratch.

Usually Esc gets you to the main menu. Is that the case here. Are there special keys we need to know about in order to interact with inventory?

These are questions that would normally be found in a readme file. But there is no such file in my download directory.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 17 January 2021 09:16 PM

A few questions before starting.

Are there any shortcut keystrokes we should know about.

Can you die? This looks like autosave. If so, what can you do to avoid starting from scratch.

Usually Esc gets you to the main menu. Is that the case here. Are there special keys we need to know about in order to interact with inventory?

These are questions that would normally be found in a readme file. But there is no such file in my download directory.

There are no deaths in the game. So you are ok with that.
Left click moves our character, holding it activates the coin.
Right click opens the inventory.
At the bottom of the screen there are the elemental ‘‘powers’’ you can use by clicking on them.
You will be used to it in no more than 20 seconds of gaming.
Escape lets you go to the game’s menu.

Very traditional things.

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Chapter 1.
Technical issues, none except I had a message saying to run the game in 2560 X 1440, and I could not figure out how to do that.

Gameplay: I did not realise that you had to hold on the left click to bring up the interaction icons. I was 15 minutes into the game before I got my first inventory item.

First impressions:  When I voted for this, I thought it was going to be like Samorost. This is much more a traditional 3rd person inventory game. Nonetheless, I settled in to play and listen as it started out like a fairytale story being read to me. The narrator’s voice is very soothing, and I enjoy the different variants for the characters. This makes it nicer when checking out all the highlighted bits in every scene, which could be tedious in another tone.

Things to do:  I’m not a fan of inventory based challenges, but in this game, you get a sense of what you need to do when you talk to the other inhabitants. The ruin elements make it more interesting. I did end up resorting to try everything on everyone a few times, and solved one task by mistake.
It is definitely a different sort of game that the last few I’ve been playing - Myha Lost Island, Quern, and Layton Unwound Future.

An idea I had about the main character: The creature has emerged from a cairn of sorts. The farmers are no longer up to taking care of their land. Maybe they lost a child and are grieving? 

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top