• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Riddle Me This! (Quiz)

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

24 hours left from the time of this post until the quiz ends.

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Here are the final scores:

Overall:
145.5 - zobraks
127 - Lady Kestrel
122.5 - AFGNCAAP
121.75 - chrissie
118 - HandsFree
85.75 - harald
56 - Andromus
54.75 - Adventurere No.1
16 - jbhypno
8 - skaata

Riddles:
100 - AFGNCAAP
88 - zobraks
87 - Lady Kestrel
82 - chrissie
80 - HandsFree
64 - harald
56 - Andromus
44 - Adventurere No.1
16 - jbhypno
8 - skaata

Screenshots:
57.5 - zobraks
40 - Lady Kestrel
39.75 - chrissie
38 - HandsFree
22.5 - AFGNCAAP
21.75 - harald
10.75 - Adventurere No.1

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Here are the screenshot answers. I didn’t save the shots for some of the inventory items/interface stuff, but I have links to full pictures of just about everything else.

01) Day of the Tentacle
02) The Orion Conspiracy
03) Hollywood Monsters
04) Devo Presents: Adventures of the Smart Patrol
05) Stupid Invaders
06) Ghostly Desires
07) Jinxter
08) Twilight’s Ransom
09) Jack Orlando: Director’s Cut
10) Space Quest 2: Chapter II - Vohaul’s Revenge
11) The Longest Journey
12) Leisure Suit Larry 1 VGA
13) Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon
14) Ooze: Creepy Nites
15) Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
16) Alien Incident
17) Nibiru: Age of Secrets
18) Curse of Enchantia
19) King’s Quest 5: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
20) I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
21) Ace Ventura
22) Blackstone Chronicles
23) Myst
24) Igor: Project Uikokahonia
25) Sherlock Holmes: Secret of the Silver Earring
26) Transylvania 3: Vanquish the Night
27) Silverload
28) Runaway: A Road Adventure
29) The Dark Half
30) Nippon Safes
31) The Curse of Monkey Island
32) Rise of the Dragon
33) Secret Files: Tunguska
34) Still Life
35) Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle
36) Conquests of the Longbow
37) The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel
38) Broken Sword:  Shadow of the Templars (Circle of Blood)
39) Harvester
40) Noctropolis
41) Agatha Christie: And Then There Were None
42) Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure
43) Simon the Sorcerer
44) Dark Seed
45) Sam & Max Hit the Road
46) Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work
47) Shadow of Destiny
48) Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
49) King’s Quest 6: Heir Today Gone Tomorrow
50) The X-Files Game

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Now for the riddles:

A) Guybrush Threepwood
B) Nancy Drew 7: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake
C) Blackstone Chronicles
D) Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster
E) Jim Pearson (Main character of Black Dahlia)
F) Personal Nightmare
G) Jane Jensen
H) Codename: Iceman
I) Simon the Sorcerer 2: The Lion, the Wizard and the Wardrobe
J) City of Lost Children
k) Frogwares
L) Broken Sword: The Smoking Mirror
M) The Fellowship of the Ring
N) UFOs
O) Gage Blackwood (Main character of Journeyman Project series)
P) The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
Q) Flight of the Amazon Queen
R) The Legend of Lotus Spring
S) Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime
T) Escape from Monkey Island
U) Glottis
V) Undercover: Operation Wintersun
W) Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh
X) Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel
Y) Emerald City Confidential

Clue Breakdown:

A) Brush + Guy + Wood + Three
B) Moon + Ghost + Lake + Dog
C) Nickel + Stone + Crow + Black (Blackjack - Jack)
D) Eyes + Stein + Monster + Frank + Threw + Inn
E) Pear + Jimmy + Son
F) Sonal + Night + Purse + Mare
G) Sun + Jane (Mary Jane - marry) + jeans
H) Name + Man + Ice + Code
I) Wizard + Lion + Wardrobe
J) Lost + Children + City
k) Ware (Silverware - Silver) + Frog
L) Broken Mirror + S-word + Smoking
M) Fellow + Ship + Ring
N) UFO + UFO + UFO + UFO
O) Gauge + Black Wood
P) Galaxy + Hitch + Guide + Hiker
Q) Amazon + Flight + Queen
R) Spring + Lotus + Legend
S) Prime + Pegasus (Bird + Horse)
T) Cape + Key + Monk + S (in ASL) + Island
U) O + T + S + L + T + I + G
V) Operation + Under cover + Sun + Winter
W) Tomb + Mummy + Pharaoh
X) Purse + Angel + Suit + Death
Y) Confidential + Emerald + City

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Here is a picture of riddle U with the anagram done and clues rotated properly:

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

The only riddle that had any interesting incorrect answers was O.

Here are some I remember:

Coktel
Hard Evidence
Ark of Time

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

This was a hell of a (deviously tough) quiz for me (You bast(ard)ich! ).
But it was fun. Sort of.
I’ll post my comments on it later, have some business right now.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Congratulations zobraks!   Thumbs Up 

& runners-up:  AFGNCAAP & Lady Kestrel!  Laughing

I thought I’d be banging my head this morning when I saw the answers but the only riddle I could have guessed the right answer to was G: Jane Jensen - it kept coming to mind but I couldn’t work out where the Jane came from as I was stuck with ‘weed - wed = e’ in my head! There were a few more screenshots I should have got but not easy when there’s such a variety with no common theme!

That was one very deviously clever & tough quiz Bastich but I really enjoyed the challenge! Thank you for the tremendous amount of time it must have taken you to put together & also score!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Now that the quiz is over I can finally heave a sigh of relief and make a couple of confessions.
*SIGHHHHH*

I struggled all the time. “Riddle me” was worse than most of the puzzles at Mystery Manor tournaments (let’s just hope the MM team won’t hire Bastich as an assistant puzzle creator).
The riddles were clever and my feeble knowledge of English (not being a native English speaker and all) was not sufficient to guess all of them.
I’ll say to my credit that I did think about “jimmy” as a synonym for “crowbar” (although I couldn’t remember/find a single famo(u)s AG character/developer/publisher by the name of Jim or James), but to connect “eleven” with “prime” was way beyond me. I should have figured out “the winged horse” though.
There are too many synonyms for the male reproductive organ, so I flunked the “O” riddle too. “Hard Evidence” was the best I could come up with (LOL). It didn’t occur to me that it might be a character’s/person’s name at all (Richard? Ha!).

The screenshots were also very clever and picked with great skill, but that’s not an excuse for the seasoned AG screenshot connoisseurs that took part in the quiz (me too).
I don’t mind not getting the likes of Circuit’s Edge or Twilight’s Ransom or Devo Presents, but I’ll keep kicking my ass for a while for not guessing Discworld, Myst, Blade Runner, TLE… (I nearly missed Sanitarium and Runaway 1 too!). Oh, and I recognised that graffiti infested van the instant I saw the picture but couldn’t place it if my life depended on it. Stupid Art of Murder 3. The same goes for numbers 23, 33, 82, 83, 96 - I KNEW I had seen them before, but couldn’t figure out where in two weeks’ time.

I would like to thank the other players who (indirectly) helped me a lot.
I would never have guessed “Glottis” if Harald & Bastich had not commented on how easy that one was, or “Jane Jensen” (although I knew what “Mary Jane” minus “Mary” was) if I hadn’t seen who had guessed it. The same goes for some of the screenshots: when you see someone who’s not so good in guessing pictures getting some - you know it can’t be that tough to guess those.

At the end I would like to thank (a lot) Bastich for assembling this monster of a quiz that tortured us all during the last two weeks.
Great work Bastich, just keep them quizzes coming!

chrissie - 04 June 2012 06:50 AM

Congratulations zobraks!

Thank you Chrissie. Smile I believe you and all the other players also deserve credit for taking part in this horrible (in a good sense) quiz and for doing so well. Thumbs Up

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Congratulations, Zobraks! You and AFGNCAAP (and Chrissie and HandsFree, too) kept me pushing.

You have a wonderfully evil mind, Bastich!  With the riddles in the beginning, I was lured into thinking they all were rebus type puzzles.  It wasn’t until solving Glottis that I realized that I had to step out of the box to solve some of them.  With Pegasus Prime, I didn’t step far enough.  The Legend of Lotus Spring stumped me because I didn’t know what that middle picture was and kept thinking key/quay/map instead of legend.  For Jim Pearson, I thought of pry, smash, and break for the crowbar, but not jimmy. 

Like Zobraks, I found so many of the screenshots frustratingly familiar but hard to place, and then there were those that came as a complete surprise, like “sexy” #5.  Grin The most frustrating ones were the screenshots I looked at but missed the item completely because I was focusing on something else. (The wardrobe in #37 and the icon in #79 come to mind.)

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into making this excellent challenge, Bastich!  I’m now nearly bald, but I loved every minute of it.  Thumbs Up  Heart

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Pff, there’s really no way I would have ever found the riddles I missed (EGOSU). I probably should have found a few more screens but there are a lot I’ve never seen before. Very well done everyone, including of course the riddle maker.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

HandsFree - 04 June 2012 06:27 PM

Pff, there’s really no way I would have ever found the riddles I missed (EGOSU).

Handsfree the only way to win , is to play my Quizzes so you know that Mr.Zobraks wont participate .Naughty  Sarcastic 

Seriously,
I really thank you bastich for the effort you took to replay on every PM not to mention the well crafted Quiz ... as me only had sent you more than 20 PMs ..  i think i lost points in this Quiz more than i won !

one thing i would want to mention ; when i joined AG, Quizzes were not really up to this Quality , i give this to chirisse with her start with the PMing answers idea at (dont let the sun…Quiz)  ...

i guess now it will be hard to ignore the quality of representing the Quiz and administrating it for the idea itself…

wonder what and who is cooking now Grin

cheers all.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Adventurere No.1 - 04 June 2012 07:09 PM

when i joined AG, Quizzes were not really up to this Quality ,

A bold and challenging statement…

Quizzes are as old as adventure forums. The same goes for submitting answers by PM. I have fond memories of the ones Aya - and Bastich among others - posted at JA. Here at AG, I started the quizzes because I felt the Adventure Game Scene thread was becoming very elitist. Obscure games that only the happy few had heard of. Speaking only for myself and not for other quizmasters, my quizzes were meant to appeal to more people, but I also used some screenshots from rare adventures.

i give this to chirisse with her start with the PMing answers idea at (dont let the sun…Quiz)

Shrug. I guess I should sit on my hands here, as that “chirisse” gameboomer is in my killfille for more than one reason.

i guess now it will be hard to ignore the quality of representing the Quiz and administrating it for the idea itself…

Change is inevitable, can I say panta rhei for the umpteenth time, but not every change is for the best. It seems to me we’re catering again to a small elite. IMNVHO, Bastich’s clever quizzes are great, but they should not become the standard.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well fien i can not dare to disagree with you, as my scoop is based on maybe 4-5 quizzes (in a small period that does not exceed 6 months) i witnessed since i joined.. surly you know better ..

but if i can give a confident statement ,i would say “this is the best quiz i witnessed since i joined”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top