• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

By this time last year Karlok & I had already planned to take over AGSotD so I feel a little sad that there’s no interest to continue with it so far!

As said it’s quite obvious that it’s quite draining to have the larger commitment of posting , myself feeling a little more comfortable just doing so on a couple of days so maybe that’s the way to continue with the contributor(s) not ending up feeling so bad!!!

It’s also obvious from the last few years that for the most part the screenshots, as lovely an idea it is, just don’t always generate discussion but members do seem to enjoy looking to see what’s been posted! So for a start the purpose of you posting has to change from that expectation of a discussion to just presenting a game either well-known with an interesting screenshot of it or enlightening us to the existence of a lesser known production!  My suggestion to continue with this lovely subject for a thread would be to start off with for 6 months a few posters limiting your commitment to 1 - 2 days a week.

rtrooney - 01 May 2015 09:59 PM

I would like to see the thread continue. But I realize that after a lot of years, with many contributors, doing this seven days/week and 52 weeks/year you will eventually run out of source material.

How so Tim? In 3 years between 4 of us we’ve presented screenshots from less than a 1000 games & there’s far more than that along with new games turning up all the time!  Also there’s many more screenshots to be taken from most games that you may like to repeat!

rtrooney - 01 May 2015 09:59 PM

It would take an individual, or individuals, with enormous knowledge of adventure games to continue the thread.

Possibly if any one individual is going to take on the thread full-time IMO not a good idea but otherwise you just need to be passionate & not minding doing a tad of research!

To entertain us for the next year & as already said don’t think about contributing for more than a couple of days (for the next 6 months) please think on these subjects:
Any Adventure Game that was ever released up until now whether it’s been mentioned or not!
The wealth of Nintendo DS releases + other hand-held devices very unrepresented here!
More text AGs + newer Visual Novels!
More representation of Freeware old & new!
New Releases of any game!
Interesting looking non-English games - Hey!  I might not be able to play it but tell me about it!
Adult, but just to make sure that screenshots presented are very ‘inoffensive’!
Fringe/ Hybrid – games that include enough adventuring game elements to tempt!
Interesting puzzles within a game!

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 05 May 2015 08:29 AM

How so Tim? In 3 years between 4 of us we’ve presented screenshots from less than a 1000 games & there’s far more than that along with new games turning up all the time!  Also there’s many more screenshots to be taken from most games!

This was going to get misinterpreted somehow. Let me try again.

In the 3 years (1095 days) this has been running the overriding “rule” of the thread seems to have been to try one’s level best to not duplicate game titles. And, with very few exceptions, this “rule” has been adhered to. And I greatly admire that. I doubt that I could name 1000 adventure games.

As for running out of source material I was thinking of one thing. That is that game developers, be they known entities, indie, free-ware or something else are not producing new games in sufficient quantity to keep the pipeline filled with a new scene from a previously un-posted game.

If you are thinking that new screenshots from previously-posted games is a possible approach, then that’s an entirely different story.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 05 May 2015 12:13 PM

In the 3 years (1095 days) this has been running the overriding “rule” of the thread seems to have been to try one’s level best to not duplicate game titles. And, with very few exceptions, this “rule” has been adhered to.

Some FACTS.

There was no such rule in Kurufinwe’s year. He used 32 games twice and 3 games 3 times. I can see this in one glance because I kept an alphabetical record of his year. Bastich used a few games (haven’t counted them) from K’s year but only in his Month of Goregasm and Thanksgiving Week. At the end of our year Chrissie and I will have used some 120 games that have been used before by K or B. Yes, one hundred and twenty, that’s about one third of our 365 posts.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Tim for your post, I was never aware, as Karlok has pointed out, of any overriding rule to not duplicate game titles apart from that of the posters, this year being Karlok & myself who decided for the most part we would like to concentrate on presenting games not done so by Kurufinwe or Bastich but otherwise to ‘duplicate’ games in specials!

I’ve submitted suggestions but otherwise don’t feel that it’s any of my business to dictate how anyone else should continue this lovely thread but don’t see any problem with using the vast variety of screenshots from the popular & familiar games that have already been featured in the last few years! I think that it would be good though if posters can think on occasion beyond the most prominent titles – sometimes there are gems hiding in corners! 

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Though I’ve only been a member of the forums for a few months I have been keeping up with the AGSotD since it started! I always look forward to seeing what the next scene will be and their thoughts and opinions of the scene and the game. Whether it be a game I have played or not. There has been several times I gave a game a chance that I didn’t try before thanks to the AGSotD thread and ended up really enjoying it! Also there has been numerous times that the scene would be from a game I had never played or heard of. When you’ve played as many as I have it is a nice treat to discover something you didn’t know existed whether it came out a day ago or 30 yrs ago!

I can only imagine how strenuous tackling such a project for an entire year could be!!! But I thank each and every one of you who not only tackled it but owned it in your own way! I tip my adventure cap with great honor and respect for your love for adventure and sharing it with the world!

I for one, and many others as well, would love to see AGSotD continue after Karlok and chrissie’s year long adventure!

My thoughts/ideas for the future of AGSotD. Instead of a single person, duo, or even a group of members doing it for an entire year. Maybe split it up into say 3 month increments. Every 3 months hand the torch off to the next?! That way it isn’t such a huge project. Plus more ideas, thoughts, and opinions get in the mix without being intimidated to come up with 365 days worth?!

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Every day after I check my email and MSN, I have a peek at AGSOTD.  I very rarely post there as their deep knowledge of games far exceeds mine.  Usually after I’ve played them unless they are very special, it seems they’re erased from my memory.  More than a few screens have prompted me to look for the games as well.

I echo what everyone else has said about what a great job Chrissie and Karlok have done and how entertaining it’s been.  Kurufinwe and Bastich did a fine job too.

Thanks to all who’ve kept this going.  It adds a spark to my day and I hope it can continue!  Doing it several days a week or in three month increments are good suggestions.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

AGSotD will sadly come to an end on May 31st unless there are members willing to devote their time on a regular basis to submitting screenshots from games that they have played!

Following discussions within a small un-select, un-elected committee that came about by accident we have concluded that no-one in their right mind wants to commit to this for several days of the week for a year!  So what’s the alternative?

The most practical proposal is that we have several posters each to specialize on in a particular category for just one day each week for as long as they want to which doesn’t mean a year!

The categories suggested so far are:

1 Day: Casual Games ( which rtrooney has offered to post on)
1 Day: Freeware (which I may do unless anyone else wants to?)
2 Days: Regular AGs (2 posters needed ideally)
1 Day: Games exclusive to hand-held devices e.g. Nintendo DS etc
1 Day: RPG/Horror/anything etc hybrids
1 Day: AG puzzles
1 Day: Text Adventures

These really are just suggestions, not much is set in stone & you may have other ideas but is anyone interested? + does anyone have any other ideas?
The only requirement is that you post a screenshot of a game you’ve played along with its title (including the year of release is nice too!)  & only if you want to, your personal experience of the game.  No descriptions needed unless you want to as it’s about the screenshot & not about presenting an overview or review of the game!

It has I think been established that if there are enough participants which may not necessarily cover all of the days the thread title will continue as Adventure Scene of the Day - (day, date & year,) with e.g. Freeware Monday, Casual Friday included in the body of the post rather than in the title.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ve always been afraid it would end like this. RPGs, hybrids, and casuals on a regular basis. Makes me sad. No text adventures? I did fringe every now and then, but this new scheme doesn’t deserve to be called Adventure Game Scene of the Day. I know, it’s none of my business. You and rtrooney will do as you please.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok, there’s no new scheme at all at the moment unless anyone wants to contribute to posting on AGSotD after the end of May.  I did add Text Adventures BTW!  Laughing

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

chrissie - 13 May 2015 11:47 AM

Tongue

But seriously, only AG please. Freeware? Sure.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

^

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

diego - 13 May 2015 04:20 PM

I think the solution to your request is found in the phrase…

If not me, who? If not now, when?

I perfectly understand why some might not like me contributing one casual game screenshot/week as part of the AGSOTD thread. (Although most of you know that I am an avid AG player as well as being a CG advocate.) Well, there’s a real good way to keep that from happening. You and six other people need to commit to doing one screenshot/day. That way you can maintain the “purity” of the thread.

But if you, and those six other people fail to step up to the plate ....?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 13 May 2015 10:53 PM

I perfectly understand why some might not like me contributing one casual game screenshot/week as part of the AGSOTD thread.

Nah - I haven’t got any problems with that.
Anyone willing to do this, should also have free hands in regards to what games they post about. Casuals, hybrids, freeware, text adventures, interactive novels .. whatever they want to promote, that’s fine with me.
(As long as I don’t have to do it myself Tongue)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 13 May 2015 04:20 PM
chrissie - 13 May 2015 11:47 AM

Tongue

Laughing I wondered how long it would take for someone to spot that diego! The list is intended to throw out some ideas (with 1 or more to be thrown out!) & not a suggestion for the week’s itinerary!

There’s only 2 categories that aren’t pure AG!  Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 13 May 2015 10:53 PM

I perfectly understand why some might not like me contributing one casual game screenshot/week as part of the AGSOTD thread. (Although most of you know that I am an avid AG player as well as being a CG advocate.)

So why aren’t you contributing adventure game scenes?

Well, there’s a real good way to keep that from happening. You and six other people need to commit to doing one screenshot/day. That way you can maintain the “purity” of the thread.

Yes, purity. This is an Adventure Game forum.

But if you, and those six other people fail to step up to the plate ....?

Then you would post the Casual Scene of the Week. IMO casuals belong in the General forum, together with RPGs.

chrissie - 14 May 2015 03:25 AM

Laughing I wondered how long it would take for someone to spot that diego!

You added text adventures later, after I’d mentioned them.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top