• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieIronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 21 July 2012

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve never played any of the Nancy Drew games (I don’t even really know who Nancy Drew is), but AGs says that Nancy Drew #237: The Curse of Blackmoor Manor is the best one, so there you go. I looks like there might be a fun puzzle in there.

(Some of?) the ND games are on sale on Steam at the moment (until Monday I guess), and I thought for a moment about buying a couple to see what they’re all about, but I’ve already bought far too much during this sale and so I think they’ll wait until the Winter sale.

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

Hey, aren’t you exaggerating just a little? There are only 226 ND games so far! Wink (Try to count to number of games without the words “Mystery”, “Secret”, “Danger” or “Curse” in the title.)

I think Curse of Blackmoor Manor was one of the more challenging titles. Compared to other ND games, this one had much less busy work/chores, no driving around town, and some the mini-games were actually fun. Practically everything in the manor screams ‘Clue!’ or ‘Future puzzle!’ In fact, one of the manor’s inhabitants does a lot of screeching!

The later games have the “Good News/Bad News” game-over screens, so like in Voyage, I’d always (save first and) try to kill goody-two-shoes snoop sleuth Nancy in as many ways as possible! Naughty (In this game, Nancy can get eaten. Ah ha ha.)

(The DVD version which you can play on your DVD player is terrible. Blechh. Sick)

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Are there seriously 226 games? That’s insane…

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In most cases, Nancy Drew games have “average” written all over it. And they sell good.

Of course, some games in the series are better than others, and couple of them which I’m still to play earned 4 stars on AG. I’ve written about ND games and I truly think there’s a potential and quality there, but the formulaic approach often leaves something to be desired.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 235

Joined 2004-09-18

PM

Only 26 games in the regular Nancy Drew series so far, not counting the remastered version of the first game (Curse of Blackmoor Manor is #11), but it sometimes feels like there are 226 titles, since Her Interactive usually releases two games each year (and yes, I’m being my usual flippant self too. Wink)

Diabolus ex Machina since 1993

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Seen one Nancy, seen them all. Formulaic, just like Diego said. The target group is girls in their teens and it shows. Those cheerful friends of hers she can always call for sensible advice… and always zodiac symbol thingies to open some music box or secret drawer… yawn.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve played a few and quite liked them but I agree that ND is a bit too much of a goody-two-shoes. I for example would have enjoyed immensely if in the crystal skull game she would have thrown the goth guy to the table and went for it Wink. I don’t really enjoy these super polite, nice and positive protagonists.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Never tried any of the Nancy Drew games. *shrug*

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top