• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The St. Christopher’s School Lockdown

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

I have the game and am looking forward to playing it! Not sure how soon that will be though - new arrival means zero gaming time for the moment.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Phlebas - 29 October 2017 02:27 PM

I have the game and am looking forward to playing it! Not sure how soon that will be though - new arrival means zero gaming time for the moment.

Congratulations Phlebas!  Heart  Thumbs Up

The game now is definitely worth trying as & when you can just to remind you of what you’re letting yourself in for in about 15+ years when you’ve completely forgotten that you’ve been there yourself, done that, got the t-shirt etc etc!  Laughing

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-06-12

PM

chrissie - 29 October 2017 03:07 PM
Phlebas - 29 October 2017 02:27 PM

Congratulations Phlebas!  Heart  Thumbs Up

The game now is definitely worth trying as & when you can just to remind you of what you’re letting yourself in for in about 15+ years when you’ve completely forgotten that you’ve been there yourself, done that, got the t-shirt etc etc!  Laughing

Chrissie—I can’t even believe your lovely, lovely comments. My jaw has literally dropped from the praise you’ve given me and the rest of my team. I can’t even believe that you got such a positive experience out of it, like… I am trying not to squeal with joy over here.

Thank you so much for letting me know our hard work was worth it. We’ve been struggling with sales (we have a couple hundred units sold, perhaps?) and seem to have limited visibility at the moment, but we’re working on getting the word out. Grin

And we just won a third place Aggie Award for Best Dramatic Writing! I NEVER EVEN KNEW WE’D BEEN NOMINATED!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

LaneyBerry - 23 February 2018 04:06 PM

Chrissie—I can’t even believe your lovely, lovely comments. My jaw has literally dropped from the praise you’ve given me and the rest of my team. I can’t even believe that you got such a positive experience out of it, like… I am trying not to squeal with joy over here.

Thank you so much for letting me know our hard work was worth it. We’ve been struggling with sales (we have a couple hundred units sold, perhaps?) and seem to have limited visibility at the moment, but we’re working on getting the word out. Grin

And we just won a third place Aggie Award for Best Dramatic Writing! I NEVER EVEN KNEW WE’D BEEN NOMINATED!

Laney, you’re most welcome as your game is way up in my list of top games - bugs and all! & I was pleased to see that the game did get nominated & got an award but the game was worthy of more IMO!  Laughing

I think the problem is that there has been no reviews & I think a walkthrough would help also as I’m aware that on another site some members won’t entertain a game unless there’s a walkthrough in place. I’ve got so far with trying to write one but can’t commit to finishing it within the next few months due to RL issues.

Certainly there are a few anomalies in the game of which the worst you may possibly may be able to fix, as I’ve said before your game is potentially A+ & let down by them. Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I initially was pleased to see a review at last but considering that the one here is the only one on the net I felt less than happy that the game got quite short shrift aside from the well-deserved criticism of technical problems.

I feel disappointed that, apart from that, the review included so much negativity i.e. The Bad: Extremely linear gameplay (& that’s a matter of opinion!) & Repetitive hotspot hunting without counteracting it with the positive aspects such as mentioning alternative solutions actually in several places, not just the one! & ....I don’t actually understand what the repetitive hotspot hunting criticism was about??? - the hotspots were easy to see & it’s a traditional adventure which involves some exploration & there’s not that many places to explore! A positive aspect, not included, is that there is an in-game map of the school which could transport you directly to areas!
A major inaccuracy promoted was that there was no in-game reference to a certain tube-train puzzle - yes there is!!!! But, I certainly appreciated that there was a 4th wall alternative!
Also there was mention of ‘questionable design decisions’ ????? As far as I’m concerned the game was excellently constructed & the only thing wrong with it is the numerous bugs.

Just to add, if you buy this game & bother to read the key points you should note that voice-acting is only provided in key cut-scenes so there are many places where there is none.

I would ask that if you’re going to review a game ‘professionally’ please be a little more au fait with it.          Smile

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I thought it was a fair review. As far as i’m concerned if you release a game with a game-breaking bug, you deserve criticism. People who like the look of it (like I did) will play it but the many problems with the game aren’t always evident from screenshots and I appreciate that the review does this.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have no issue whatsoever for this game, within a review, being criticised for the numerous glitches/bugs including one (& the only one for me) that does involve you having to shut the game down. That’s not great, but you can continue by reloading a save (obviously avoiding what you did.)   

I have played through this game numerous times & could list a whole page of ‘misdemeanours’ (far more than mentioned in the review!) & feel disappointed that now 6th months later the developers, despite these, still haven’t added any further updates since October!

So sure, a lot of potential players may be put off by that info which I think is absolutely fair to include but a FAIR review is more than just reporting about technical issues. 

I have a lot of respect for the reviewer but in this particular case was perhaps judging a game that was not their scene? which was plagued with a few problems & on account of that missed so many positive aspects of the game? 

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Nothing you’ve said has anything to do with fairness, chrissie. A reviewer’s job is to weigh the good against the bad and then justify their conclusion. Since St. Chris ended up with a “decent” rating, the review obviously did that. You just don’t seem to accept that this reviewer had a different experience than you.

By your own admission, you don’t even seem to understand the main criticism. The “repetitive hotspot hunting” refers to having to go back and check all the same hotspots over and over to see if anything has changed (or if any new ones have suddenly popped up where they didn’t exist before), because the game doesn’t adequately indicate what might be different. And that is a very significant design decision in a hyper-linear game where there’s nothing else to do instead. Now, if you didn’t mind that, or had much better luck at finding the altered hotspots in good time, or perhaps even were better able to interpret what the game wanted you to do next, that’s great for you. But it clearly does not invalidate someone else having a harder time and enjoying the experience far less.

Note that I haven’t played St. Chris, so even if I wanted to I’m not arguing for or against either position. I’m simply saying that both are entirely legitimate and therefore “fair”. And that’s precisely why we encourage user reviews and ratings as well as our own.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jackal - 12 April 2018 03:20 PM

Nothing you’ve said has anything to do with fairness, chrissie. A reviewer’s job is to weigh the good against the bad and then justify their conclusion. Since St. Chris ended up with a “decent” rating, the review obviously did that. You just don’t seem to accept that this reviewer had a different experience than you.

By your own admission, you don’t even seem to understand the main criticism. The “repetitive hotspot hunting” refers to having to go back and check all the same hotspots over and over to see if anything has changed (or if any new ones have suddenly popped up where they didn’t exist before), because the game doesn’t adequately indicate what might be different. And that is a very significant design decision in a hyper-linear game where there’s nothing else to do instead. Now, if you didn’t mind that, or had much better luck at finding the altered hotspots in good time, or perhaps even were better able to interpret what the game wanted you to do next, that’s great for you. But it clearly does not invalidate someone else having a harder time and enjoying the experience far less.

Note that I haven’t played St. Chris, so even if I wanted to I’m not arguing for or against either position. I’m simply saying that both are entirely legitimate and therefore “fair”. And that’s precisely why we encourage user reviews and ratings as well as our own.

Thanks for your post Jackal - why are you giving me all this c**p when you haven’t played the game yourself because if you did you might understand that the game had a little more to offer beyond some bugs & is an interesting great traditional adventure with the addition of a few thoughtful puzzles. For any seasoned adventurer the game flows through not too difficultly although it’s not unchallenging - sorry, I’ve played a lot of adventures & there’s no problem in this one with finding hotspots (yes,I know the hotspot highlighter doesn’t work as well as it should! - another bug) but yes, my experience is different to that of the reviewer but I can’t say that in this game that it’s very difficult to find the hotspots.

Yes, the good and the bad should be weighed up but no, I don’t accept that the reviewer had a different experience to me other than that they liked the game but not enough to appreciate the more positive points!

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

chrissie - 12 April 2018 04:30 PM

Thanks for your post Jackal - why are you giving me all this c**p when you haven’t played the game yourself because if you did you might understand that the game had a little more to offer beyond some bugs & is an interesting great traditional adventure with the addition of a few thoughtful puzzles. For any seasoned adventurer the game flows through not too difficultly although it’s not unchallenging - sorry, I’ve played a lot of adventures & there’s no problem in this one with finding hotspots (yes,I know the hotspot highlighter doesn’t work as well as it should! - another bug) but yes, my experience is different to that of the reviewer but I can’t say that in this game that it’s very difficult to find the hotspots.

It really doesn’t flow at all. Every time you solve a puzzle you are expected to click on everything again hoping to find something that has changed, meaning you have to sit through all the old descriptions you have heard dozens of times. It’s incredibly frustrating and a mortal sin for a game to do in 2017. They could have easily avoided this by having Kayleigh give us some direction or guidance or showing visible changes on screen. I am a seasoned gamer too and I have little patience for this type of gameplay anymore. In 1992 they didn’t know any better (actually they did, quite often) but in 2017 it’s not cool.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Oh please, chrissie, I’m not giving you crap at all. I tried to explain the one thing you admitted you didn’t understand but then proceeded to slag anyway as if you did. I don’t need to have played the game to know exactly what our reviewer meant.

And STILL you don’t seem to be understanding it. The complaint isn’t that the hotspots are hard to find! (The one and ONLY reference to a hard-to-find hotspot was finding an exit.) You’re arguing a criticism that was never made. Luhr gets it. What s/he said in the post above is precisely what the review is saying.

Yes, the good and the bad should be weighed up but no, I don’t accept that the reviewer had a different experience to me other than that they liked the game but not enough to appreciate the more positive points!

If you don’t see that the review had plenty of good things to say about the game, I’m not sure what to tell you. It even got a favourable rating overall. Just not a great one, for the reasons outlined.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Luhr28 - 12 April 2018 08:23 PM

It really doesn’t flow at all. Every time you solve a puzzle you are expected to click on everything again hoping to find something that has changed, meaning you have to sit through all the old descriptions you have heard dozens of times. It’s incredibly frustrating and a mortal sin for a game to do in 2017. They could have easily avoided this by having Kayleigh give us some direction or guidance or showing visible changes on screen. I am a seasoned gamer too and I have little patience for this type of gameplay anymore. In 1992 they didn’t know any better (actually they did, quite often) but in 2017 it’s not cool.

Thanks Luhr28 for your description of your point of view, I understand what you’re saying & can now see that may be the perception of other players!

Jackal - 12 April 2018 10:12 PM

Oh please, chrissie, I’m not giving you crap at all. I tried to explain the one thing you admitted you didn’t understand but then proceeded to slag anyway as if you did. I don’t need to have played the game to know exactly what our reviewer meant…...

.......And STILL you don’t seem to be understanding it. The complaint isn’t that the hotspots are hard to find! (The one and ONLY reference to a hard-to-find hotspot was finding an exit.) You’re arguing a criticism that was never made. Luhr gets it. What s/he said in the post above is precisely what the review is saying.

If you don’t see that the review had plenty of good things to say about the game, I’m not sure what to tell you. It even got a favourable rating overall. Just not a great one, for the reasons outlined.

I will straight away apologise Jackal for accusing you of anything & all that may be interpreted as me ‘slagging’ - I never set out to offend anyone or cause contention but just merely to defend a game that I thought was so good & yes I can now see what aspects perhaps will put players off that were included in the review.  Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I’ve just finished the game (was a kickstarter backer but it released during a period when I couldn’t really play games, I’m only now playing again through my backlog).

I must say that I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great game with very good story progression and great characterisation of the different students in the game. All of the main characters have a certain amount of depth and feel alive. The bugs I saw were a bit annoying but not show stopping (but then I played the 1.08 version), the main frustration is that sometimes switching between one place to another takes a long time…

I don’t really agree with the review on the site mostly because I didn’t feel the game was linear… There are quite a few puzzles with multiple solutions which is something I always really like, the puzzles in themselves vary from easy fetch type of puzzles to clever ones (I liked the book and library puzzle, it was great fun). I can see what Luhr28 means about hotspot hunting but it didn’t bother me that much to be honest..

The end did leave me wanting more (and it’s a bit of a cliffhanger which I never like) and I’m really hoping for a sequel even though I’m not sure that’ll happen given the poor sales. I would definitely back the second chapter on kickstarter.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

giom - 20 November 2019 08:26 PM

The end did leave me wanting more (and it’s a bit of a cliffhanger which I never like) and I’m really hoping for a sequel even though I’m not sure that’ll happen given the poor sales. I would definitely back the second chapter on kickstarter.

I just loved the whole premise of the game & still think it’s a cut above many others but obviously let down by aspects of game play & technical errors as reflected in the review score.
I think the very ambitious intention originally was that this was the first in a series of 6 games that focused on different characters & decisions in each game would affect outcomes in subsequent ones - a great idea but not going to happen.

What would be great in my mind would be just to have the one great conclusion in a sequel (even if someone else takes it over) to reflect on the impact on the school following the ending & follow an investigation where you learn the history of Kayleigh & her brother. What happens to him? & where does Uncle Vincenzo fit in? But, the focus would surely have to be on who the owner of the journal is & their story.

If that could all be addressed which provides a lot of fodder for a good twist I would throw my money at a kickstarter for a sequel!

Failing that Giom, I think there’s enough info within the game to theorise?

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

chrissie - 21 November 2019 01:45 PM
giom - 20 November 2019 08:26 PM

I just loved the whole premise of the game & still think it’s a cut above many others but obviously let down by aspects of game play & technical errors as reflected in the review score.
I think the very ambitious intention originally was that this was the first in a series of 6 games that focused on different characters & decisions in each game would affect outcomes in subsequent ones - a great idea but not going to happen.

Yes, the premise is great and the character development is one of the best I’ve seen in the medium. It’s just let down by game play and technical bugs and not that great marketing (it seems that a lot more efforts could have been made by the developper to get the word out)

I did love how ambitious it was when I backed them and was really excited in that game back then and it delivered…

What would be great in my mind would be just to have the one great conclusion in a sequel (even if someone else takes it over) to reflect on the impact on the school following the ending & follow an investigation where you learn the history of Kayleigh & her brother. What happens to him? & where does Uncle Vincenzo fit in? But, the focus would surely have to be on who the owner of the journal is & their story.

If that could all be addressed which provides a lot of fodder for a good twist I would throw my money at a kickstarter for a sequel!

Or a novelization could work really well too…

Failing that Giom, I think there’s enough info within the game to theorise?

True and that can be fun, who do you think is the writer of the journal?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top