• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Games that didn’t get Great Reviews and Awards that you think are way underrated.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

chrissie - 13 March 2021 07:17 AM

No, the thread’s about game’s either talked about or not that have enough positive qualities to be worthier of a higher score than awarded. I’ve played a lot of games that wouldn’t be considered to be good at all but have enough about them to entertain me & keep me interested -  a review score won’t reflect that & deter people from playing the game so therefore underrated?

N.B. I played both of the E & H games just a couple of years ago & liked them both very much but for me New Eyes was better.
The reviews I think are possibly in context of expectations of the time? Would they review better now?

Ok, so the key point is whether the games in question received a good score or award or not. That is what determines whether it is underrated or not.
Edit: Now I see you edited the thread title, well, it’s clearer to understand.

About E&H, both games have 3.5 stars here. Surely there would be no expectations for the former, but for the latter there obviously would be. And that’s the problem with sequels, is that it’s almost inevitable that there will be expectations on it and these will end up affecting the final score.

The question I have is… should a sequel be analysed separately without taking into account its predecessor product since it’s a completely new game? Or should we say “Let me compare it to the previous one, it’s a fair comparison, I obviously have high expectations. It’s the second part or the third part or whatever, I’m allowed to do it”.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Luhr28 - 13 March 2021 07:32 PM

I don’t like the thread title change. Haven’t there been plenty of “underrated games” threads?

It’s not a thread title change, it’s an edit to be the title I intended after I stupidly cut, pasted & altered Adv_Lvr’s title quickly.
I couldn’t find any other “underrated games” threads when I searched - that’s not to say there aren’t any but I presented it as hopefully a fun ‘yin’ thread to Adv_Lvr’s ‘yang’ one.
As for the title ‘change’ - the one I originally posted didn’t make a whole lot of sense did it & I thank again Baron_Blubba for pointing that out.

I’m sorry for the confusion caused by my dozy mistake but to clarify, the thread simply is about whether you think a game deserved a better review score than awarded here. 

Luhr28 - 12 March 2021 08:33 PM

The problem with threads like these (or the responses) is that the truly underrated games will rarely be mentioned, and if they are there will not be much agreement because only one or two people have played them.

Mention them anyway & there doesn’t need to be any agreement - it’s about what YOU think.

Advie - 12 March 2021 07:32 PM

easily there are a lot of rated reviews that don’t reflect the real quility of some games, whether these adventures should have deserved more or their reviews were just generous,
of the op of memory:

BS2 for example cant be that bad.
Edna & Harvey is a masterpiece, the 3.5 review is unforgiven.
the latest Henery Mosse getting a 4 stars review, that can’t be given for mediocre adventure like it, it not that good, and yes, it has its moments, but even a 3.5 would have been too generous.
Dreamfall Chapters 3.5 review is also too harsh..

but on top of all; Memoranda 2 stars review!!, yes the game is too surreal, and weird sometimes, but less than 3 stars is too harsh.. i don’t know even anyone here who tried it in the first place, but this game didn’t get any love, no even a little.

Your thoughts on Henry Mosse belong in Adv_Lvr’s thread!
Unfortunately I’ve so far only played one of the Dreamfall Chapters but Adventure Gamers does have a reputation for harsh reviews which I don’t think is a bad thing except when the score fall below 3.5 as that can adversely affect interest in a game.
I liked Memoranda & thought it deserved a little more.

BS2 for me was as fun & entertaining as the first one so I don’t understand the very poor score.

Renacimiento - 13 March 2021 07:42 PM

About E&H, both games have 3.5 stars here. Surely there would be no expectations for the former, but for the latter there obviously would be. And that’s the problem with sequels, is that it’s almost inevitable that there will be expectations on it and these will end up affecting the final score.

The question I have is… should a sequel be analysed separately without taking into account its predecessor product since it’s a completely new game? Or should we say “Let me compare it to the previous one, it’s a fair comparison, I obviously have high expectations. It’s the second part or the third part or whatever, I’m allowed to do it”.

As said earlier I liked Harvey’s New Eyes better so in my mind deserved a better score than its sequel & perhaps 4 stars.

I think the qualities of each game should be judged separately in its own right but…..

Luhr28 - 13 March 2021 01:12 AM

Shrugs. I just looked at the thread title. But even still, I don’t think E&H even got any great professional reviews. Can anyone find any?

I think that statement is a little insulting to the professional reviewers here.
EDIT: I wrongly interpreted that as the game didn’t get any professional reviews - sorry!

Anyway, whether or not it fits with the new thread theme, I’d like to include the recent FMV games of the last decade or so.

Yoomurjak’s Ring, Miazma, Contradiction, Doctor Dekker.. etc.

GK2 is popular enough, why aren’t these? FMV rocks!

Just to reiterate that it’s not a NEW thread theme & just an edit.

Doctor Dekker I haven’t played - it got a score of 4 so did you think it was worthy of more? 
Of the others you mentioned I’ve played YR, Miazma & Contradiction which were perhaps a tad underrated but I’m not sure that the scores are an indicator of popularity? 
GK2 had a story that was a little more engrossing but then did have a far larger budget for development. 

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

chrissie - 14 March 2021 09:48 AM

I think the qualities of each game should be judged separately in its own right but…..

Shrugs. I just looked at the thread title. But even still, I don’t think E&H even got any great professional reviews. Can anyone find any?

I think that statement is a little insulting to the professional reviewers here.

So 3.5/5 is a ‘great’ score?

I think you need to define first of all what you mean by a Great Review. Every game mentioned here could potentially be an insult to the reviewer, otherwise.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

cyfoyjvx - 14 March 2021 10:06 AM

So 3.5/5 is a ‘great’ score?

I think you need to define first of all what you mean by a Great Review. Every game mentioned here could potentially be an insult to the reviewer, otherwise.

Where was it mentioned that 3.5 was a great score? Great reviews are the ones where the games get 4 - 5 stars. Please don’t confuse disagreement with insult as I for one appreciate the reviews but sometimes there’s an anomaly between what a player experiences & what a reviewer perceives.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

chrissie - 13 March 2021 09:56 AM

So if you don’t like a feature in a game it’s a hang-up?  Laughing

When people go “oh no, combat in my puzzle game!” without even realizing that it’s just a rock-paper-scissors puzzle ... yeah. I’d call that a hang-up.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

The space pilgrim saga, a series of RPG maker games that’s never even been reviewed here (or in most other adventure sites) but has very good story, characterization and good puzzles. One caveat is that the later games are much better than the first ones since the company has been getting better. That’s always the first one I think of when I think of underrated games.

Your thoughts on Henry Mosse belong in Adv_Lvr’s thread!
Unfortunately I’ve so far only played one of the Dreamfall Chapters but Adventure Gamers does have a reputation for harsh reviews which I don’t think is a bad thing except when the score fall below 3.5 as that can adversely affect interest in a game.

That’s something I’ve always thought. I like the ratings of Adventure gamers and I like the fact that they tend to use the full range of ratings so even a 3 would be given to a good game. But unfortunately, with websites like metacritic and the fact that most other sites tend to give higher scores when reviewing, I feel that Adventure Gamer’s low scores may harm the success of adventure games in general.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you giom, I looked the game up on Steam & it looks interesting. It must be very difficult for AG staff to keep up & hopefully it might get added to the data base.

I think if too higher score is given that it can lead to hyping a game which can lead to being disappointed & consequently more negativity.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Pyoro-2 - 14 March 2021 10:58 AM
chrissie - 13 March 2021 09:56 AM

So if you don’t like a feature in a game it’s a hang-up?  Laughing

When people go “oh no, combat in my puzzle game!” without even realizing that it’s just a rock-paper-scissors puzzle ... yeah. I’d call that a hang-up.

Pyro-2, I’ve played plenty of games that included combat so no ‘hang-up’ on my part just a choice not to entertain a game that includes features I don’t want.    Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

chrissie - 14 March 2021 11:23 AM

Thank you giom, I looked the game up on Steam & it looks interesting. It must be very difficult for AG staff to keep up & hopefully it might get added to the data base.

I’d recommend you try it if you have time. Based on what I’ve read from you, I think we tend to have similar tastes so I’m really curious what you’d think Smile Just make sure to play more than the first chapter since it does get significantly better.

chrissie - 14 March 2021 11:23 AM

I think if too higher score is given that it can lead to hyping a game which can lead to being disappointed & consequently more negativity.

Oh yeah, I mean it’s the same with restaurant reviews. For example, I much prefer reading reviews in Japan on Tabelog where amazing restaurants will get 3.5/5 and where anything above 4 is pretty much a once in a lifetime experience. This to me works much better when I’m looking for a restaurant recommendations than a site like tripadvisor where every place gets more than 4.5 Smile

Having a wide range of scores allows consumers to make better choice and to understand better the differences between two games (or any two things really).

Unfortunately, with the existence of aggregators like metacritic and the fact that most professional reviewers give inflated scores, it means that Adventure gamer’s reviews tend to consistently drag down the score of point and click adventure games, which is a bit sad given that it’s a niche. So in an ideal world, I’d be more than happy with the current scoring from adventure gamers which I consider harsh but fair (a bit too harsh in some cases like dreamfall chapters though) but we don’t live in that world.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lamplight City got a score of 3. This was a clever & superb game that was misunderstood & in my mind deserved 5.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Speaking of games that went unnoticed by Adventuregamers, I just recently finished the Polish game Galador: The Prince and the Coward (wrote about it in a non-corresponding thread). It never got an official English release, but was well-known in Germany and some other European countries. It also got a ScummVM support and an unofficial English translation along with Teenagent by the same developer. And the game itself was pretty good despite some illogical puzzles by the end, very colorful and full of humour and solid animation. But when I tried to rate it, turned out the game wasn’t even in the ag database.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1238

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

chrissie - 14 March 2021 12:50 PM

Lamplight City got a score of 3. This was a clever & superb game that was misunderstood & in my mind deserved 5.

I’ll copy here what I said in another thread:

I played Lamplight City a few months ago because I am translating it into Spanish at the moment and I really enjoyed it. Puzzles are just like Adv_Lvr said, you feel like a real detective and the setting (distopic steampunk victorian USA) is very interesting.

Maybe a little overwritten is the only flow I could mention.

Oh, one more thing. It is a game where you can be wrong solving the cases and it doesn’t matter, you can continue… (well, it does matter to the innocents blamed haha)...

So I wouldn’t say it deserves an score of 5, but at least 4 yes.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Doom - 14 March 2021 01:27 PM

Speaking of games that went unnoticed by Adventuregamers, I just recently finished the Polish game Galador: The Prince and the Coward (wrote about it in a non-corresponding thread). It never got an official English release, but was well-known in Germany and some other European countries. It also got a ScummVM support and an unofficial English translation along with Teenagent by the same developer. And the game itself was pretty good despite some illogical puzzles by the end, very colorful and full of humour and solid animation. But when I tried to rate it, turned out the game wasn’t even in the ag database.

Thanks Doom, I’ve come across screenshots for this game - hopefully it can be added to the data base here if the unofficial English translation can be made official.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

walas74 - 14 March 2021 01:35 PM
chrissie - 14 March 2021 12:50 PM

So I wouldn’t say it deserves an score of 5, but at least 4 yes.

4’s okay for me!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Other games that I played & thought deserved more:
The Secrets of Jesus which got the AWFUL 1 point.
This game was an absolute hoot - it had all the right ingredients but perhaps not so well coordinated but there was enough skill within the game to elevate it to 2.5 in my mind.
Forever Worlds has a score of 1 - it’s interesting enough so it deserves more than 1.
The Birdwatcher 2.5 - it’s an interesting mystery so I’m not impressedwith the 2.5 score.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top