• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Bad design decisions

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

crabapple - 25 June 2020 02:09 PM

You know you can choose whether to play URU in 1st or 3rd person, right?
You can switch back and forth between 1st and 3rd person with the F1 key.

Vehelon - 25 June 2020 09:32 PM

Yes, I know. But you still need to choose an avatar, and that places you in the gameworld as a specific person. And I know it makes sense since the story begins in the 1980s in New Mexico, to be a person who looks like someone who grew up in 20th century America, it’s just I prefer anonymity in 1st person games - it lets me be immersed in the world more fully without identifying with a pixelated figure wearing jeans and sneakers who, even in 1st person view, I am aware that I am controlling.

I’d have preferred it if Cyan hadn’t attempted to drag the Myst universe into the “real” world and had allowed more customization options for clothing that didn’t look like you could have bought it at a local mall. I did like that you had the option of wearing a Maintainer suit when you found one in Gahreesen. But I’d rather have played as someone from another world and had a wider variety of clothing and appearance.

Mostly I wish they hadn’t so badly estimated the year when people would have Internet speeds fast enough for an online game like Uru. When Uru was first released I was still on dialup, and not very good dialup either. I wish Cyan had made a couple of offline games more like Riven before trying an online game. It’s not like we were ever had a glut of games the calibre of Riven.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top