• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

how would we save exclusive Adventures of piracy ?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i stared this thread with this question while i have NO idea what the answer is! , and its nothing new of course; this question had been out there for more than two decades .

what really bothered me that a friend of mine in Mexico is actually playing Lucius for two day now and before its official release , it is just outrageous and its not the 1st time i witness something like this as well.

i see this as a the most dangerous threat for the revivification of the scene we are having and supposed to reach its climax by the next year or so…but would all that go down the drain with all those Piracy sites that their numbers can easily exceed all the Adventure Gaming Developers in the world .

should developers get to the old style of copyrighting as it was back with Sierra and Lucas?

should we get back to the hardcopies and forget about the digital distribution as its somehow safer?.

should developers put the PC releases aside and start release their games on consoles only?.

i really don’t know! but a game that is still scheduled for a release and some people already had gotten their hands on it without paying a penny just drove me crazy.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Advie - 20 October 2012 07:36 PM

should developers get to the old style of copyrighting as it was back with Sierra and Lucas?

im not sure what you mean… but sierra and lucas got pirated too.

should we get back to the hardcopies and forget about the digital distribution as its somehow safer?.

its always possible to turn physical copies into digital only.

should developers put the PC releases aside and start release their game on consoles only.

console games get pirated too. sometimes in very high volumes.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SURE! there will never be an absolute fix, and as i said i have no idea how this issue can be solved ,but there is no harm on giving some suggestions anyways .

what about you Zane do you have anything in your mind?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Advie - 20 October 2012 08:06 PM

and what about you Zane do you have anything in your mind?

if only i had a solution to piracy, id be off making my millions of dollars and getting a statue of me built by the riaa Grin
its really really tough… I think developers definitely have gravitated towards consoles because of it… but theyr not safe there either. If a developer has a great product, thats fairly priced, with convenient access, then people should want to do the right thing and support them. But then it still happens. I wouldnt blame it specifically for the adventure genre’s troubles. But its tough.. its there.. its a problem.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Piracy’s a problem, but it’s not one your going to solve easily. I used to think things got pirated because prices were deemed too high, but since even games like Machinarium (which you can get in bundles for less than 5$) get pirated on a massive scale, it goes a lot deeper than that.

Some people just don’t want to pay for creativity, it seems. The amount of people I know who download every single movie or series imaginable, it’s sickening. I’m proud of my DVD, CD and game-collection.

Anyway, you’re not going to discourage pirates by adding copyright protection. It’ll be circumvented within the hour. It only annoys those who actually bought the darn thing…

Despite rampant piracy all-around, the gaming industry is more booming than ever, though, so at least there’s that.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I have the answer! Pirate Amnesty! Smile

Not entirely kidding either. It got Amanita a lot of extra sales. We now have the HumbleBundles but way back in 2009 World of Goo was a pioneer. They did a pay-what-you-want campaign and published the stats and diagrams. Most buyers, yes most!, paid one cent. Shocking. Is there any better way to show your lack of respect for other people’s efforts and creativity? But the campaign still brought in 115,000 bucks.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

You cannot combat piracy with DRM, physical media, feelies, or lawsuits.

You can combat piracy by offering a good product at a good price, periodically putting it on sale or offering it on humble bundle type deals, etc. You’re not going to stop piracy, but a lot of people will pay for a game if they feel it’s worth it, and most people who pirate are people who simply feel the asking price is too high for them for one reason or another.

Consoles do cut way down on piracy though. It’s not like it doesn’t happen, but the rate of piracy to sales is a tiny fraction of what it is on PC.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Frogacuda - 20 October 2012 09:54 PM

...most people who pirate are people who simply feel the asking price is too high for them for one reason or another.

Yes, but that’s not saying much. What worries me, is that so many young people (yeah, I’m ancient) feel they are entitled to free games, free music, free movies, free everything. The very idea of paying for anything on the Internet is alien to them. Not good.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Fien - 20 October 2012 10:28 PM
Frogacuda - 20 October 2012 09:54 PM

...most people who pirate are people who simply feel the asking price is too high for them for one reason or another.

Yes, but that’s not saying much. What worries me, is that so many young people (yeah, I’m ancient) feel they are entitled to free games, free music, free movies, free everything. The very idea of paying for anything on the Internet is alien to them. Not good.

At least for right now, the people who pirate games a lot also tend to buy a lot of games, too. And the games that are the most pirated are also usually the best selling.

But the bar for what they’ll pay is very low. People who pirate think of things as fairly disposable and that’s why they don’t want to pay a lot for them. If they were like typical consumers who only get 2-3 games a year, they’d probably not even worry about paying for them.

This is not really true of music, though, so that is probably the worst fear. Recorded music is basically just an advertisement for your live show now, and while this has turned out to be a mixed blessing for many artists, other media doesn’t have that alternate way to monetize. I’d argue that the reason that music is different than games and movies though is more than radio shot itself in the face after all the consolidation in the late 90s and no one really knows how to present music to people anymore.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

People who want to pirate will always pirate. The question is, can you make enough revenue off the others to compensate for it. Game companies should forget about the pirates and see how they can make loyal fans from the people who purchase the games. Unfortunately, in an effort to combat piracy, they end up making things bad for the paying fans and doing nothing for the piracy.

Also: pricing is key. Yes, some people will pirate even if the original game is 1 cent. But what steam sales and the humble bundles show is that a lot of people will purchase at the $10 price point.

For adventure games specifically, I think pricing at $15-20 on launch and cutting it to $10 after a year is a decent strategy. Digital distribution allows developers to cut out a whole lot of middlemen, so that they can actually make more money per copy at a $15 price point than $50 on a retail box.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

If we’re still getting new adventure games (and more than ever), then what’s the problem? I’m not interested in the question “what can we do about piracy?” I think it’s the wrong question. Whenever someone asks that question it’s usually more about them having to pay while others don’t rather than “saving the industry”. If I’m being offered several adventure games for purchase per month, then the industry is doing fine. When the market stops offering AGs, then I’ll be concerned. Sorry for sounding arrogant.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I do think switching to consoles could help. At least for action oriented games like Gears of War or GTA. However, more sophisticated games like adventures have a better market on the PC.

Also, no DRM. As has been said, this just pisses off potential customers and does nothing to deter pirates. Unless you’re making a multiplayer adventure game (whatever that is)... DRM works well for multiplayer games.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Going console to reduce piracy would be fine with me. I’m currently playing Machinarium on PS3 (as I got it for free via PS Plus) and I have no problem with the control scheme.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 21 October 2012 12:19 AM

Whenever someone asks that question it’s usually more about them having to pay while others don’t rather than “saving the industry”.

ok, i do not mind Questing motives .. it is always healthy,
but if i Told you that i can get my hands on that illegal copy of Lucius right away but i didn’t ... would you believe it?

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Advie - 21 October 2012 03:12 PM

but if i Told you that i can get my hands on that illegal copy of Lucius right away but i didn’t ... would you believe it?

I’m sure everyone would believe it. It common knowledge that a lot of games (even the really bad games that no one will even bother to pirate) are available days and even weeks before official release.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Siddhi - 21 October 2012 04:42 PM
Advie - 21 October 2012 03:12 PM

I’m sure everyone would believe it. It common knowledge that a lot of games (even the really bad games that no one will even bother to pirate) are available days and even weeks before official release.

Agree of course and that is the problem since ‘98 and adventure gaming can not be evaluated by the copies sold, and if there is something like the monthly US Movies box Office charts you would not find an adventure at the top ten mentioned.

and looking back because of internet and piracy one of the best games that ever released (GF) had an outrageous marketing fail .

i always ask myself how come that Grim fandango (which is supposed to be the best one of all time adventures) didn’t succeed at its time. we need to admit the product/genre wont get wealthy by the quality and dedication only but by the number of copies that sell.

also now the ADVENTURE GAMES is down below in the gaming scene genres, and if you look at the best 100 Games (of all genres) of all time you would find only 7-8 adventures in the whole list ... anyone thinks that is good !.. of course not, because there was a time when adventure Games (at 93-96) were the best selling ones of all the gaming genres!!

Piracy can kill all the expected come-back/dream (booming) for the genre in the coming years.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top