• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AGSOTD

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Chrissie has announced that she and Karlok will no longer be doing the Adventure Game Scene of the Day effective June 1, 2015.

I will be sorry to see their efforts to amuse us pass.

It amazes me how they, and their predecessors managed to come up with scenes from games that nobody knew existed. And, in doing so, made me want to track down many of these games. This particularly applies to the freeware games that I never paid much attention to until you two brought them to our attention.

I would like to see the thread continue. But I realize that after a lot of years, with many contributors, doing this seven days/week and 52 weeks/year you will eventually run out of source material.

I’ve seen a few suggestions regarding how the thread might be “tweaked” so it might continue. I disregard those suggestions.

I’m looking at all the spin-offs of the basic thread ....

Match that screen
Adventure Screen ...uh
Place that quote
Face to Place
Place that….uh Game
Place that description
Name….Adventure Game

Those are just the ones on the first page. I’m sure there are more. And forgive me if I mis-named a few.

The AGSOTD has, obviously, already been tweaked!

It would take an individual, or individuals, with enormous knowledge of adventure games to continue the thread.

If that doesn’t happen, then my thanks go out to Chrissie, Karlok, Kuru and B for providing me a bit of daily entertainment.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Agree, those efforts are/were unmatched, i cant begin too imagine those guys commitment and dedication, actually when kuru started it, he was driving me mad, but by time when B/D Tongue and then Chrissie and Karlok stepped in, i suddenly had the realization that i would never come close to their dedication.

But if i could suggest something, a tweak or a drift; i always wanted to see scenes about puzzles ,each ag holds a definitive puzzle that could be a great topic to bring it in/out.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Yeah I would also like to thank Chrissie and Karlok for adding a lot to these forums through their daily scene of the day. Thanks for taking the time to come up with a scene everyday without missing a day, and for sharing with us adventure games that we have never heard of.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

rtrooney - 01 May 2015 09:59 PM

you will eventually run out of source material.

Why? You might run out of games, but I doubt you’d run out of scenes anytime soon. I know most of the time these threads end up being more a general discussion of the game rather than the specific scene, but you never know what conversation a particular scene may spark. (As far as I’m concerned, the quintessential AGSD will forever be this crazy discussion spurred by a pic of Emily Ketch from Broken Sword 2.) (Has it really been 10 years? Man, I feel old.)

Also, you have to take into account poster turnaround. Many of the current active members (including Karlok, for that matter) weren’t around when I was doing the AGSD, let alone in the olden days of Wreck. They might have interesting things to say that weren’t said back when a certain game was originally featured. Why shouldn’t they get the chance?

Obviously, you want some variety in the selection of games, but I don’t see why you’d want to keep digging for more and more obscure games just for the sake of not posting anything from some game that was covered in the past. Ultimately, it’s about generating interesting conversation.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kurufinwe - 02 May 2015 03:02 AM

Many of the current active members (including Karlok, for that matter) weren’t around when I was doing the AGSD, let alone in the olden days of Wreck.

I was around in the days of Wreck. Chrissie and I paid tribute to our three predecessors in the first week of our AGSotD year.

Obviously, you want some variety in the selection of games, but I don’t see why you’d want to keep digging for more and more obscure games just for the sake of not posting anything from some game that was covered in the past.

Unused is not the same as obscure. For instance, with one month to go I have used 2, 24, 21, and 20 games released in respectively 2015, 2014, 2013, and 2012. With only two or three exceptions I have played/tried all the games I used. The same goes for Chrissie. Our approach of the daily scenes is closer to Bastich’s year than to yours, but we also did 9 week specials and I did 17 midweeks plus birthdays. That’s over one hundred games which have been used before.

Ultimately, it’s about generating interesting conversation.

Yes. And since you and the OP of this thread never participate in the AGotD conversations (if any), I understand what you’re saying. It’s okay, I don’t need you or anybody else to tell me I failed, I realized that a long time ago. But I did try. I also tried to do something new, like the collages (blonde and dumb, Watson, X-mas), which fell flat. So yes, my style, my character, and my approach are partly to blame for the lack of response. Someone more creative with better English writing skills will probably do a better job. On the other hand, traffic at the forums is declining and I truly think three years is long enough. IMO the only way to keep AGSotD alive and interesting is to engage 5, 6, 7 or more posters.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Karlok - 02 May 2015 05:07 AM

Ultimately, it’s about generating interesting conversation.

Yes. And since you and the OP of this thread never participate in the AGotD conversations (if any), I understand what you’re saying. It’s okay, I don’t need you or anybody else to tell me I failed, I realized that a long time ago. But I did try. I also tried to do something new, like the collages (blonde and dumb, Watson, X-mas), which fell flat. So yes, my style, my character, and my approach are partly to blame for the lack of response. Someone more creative with better English writing skills will probably do a better job. On the other hand, I truly think three years is long enough. IMO the only way to keep AGSotD alive and interesting is to engage 5, 6, 7 or more posters.

Karlok, believe me I’ve been there. I know how draining this whole year must have been, and I know how hard it is to try to be interesting or insightful or entertaining, and to get the feeling that clearly you’re none of those things because nobody cares. I was there two years ago, calling the whole thing a “dismal failure”, and suggesting that it should end after me.

I don’t know what to tell you, except this: I went through every single one of my scenes a few months ago. I recognised all the times I had just been a lazy hack. I recognised all the times I had made some ill-advised choice. I recognised all the times I antagonised people for no good reason. But I also saw a few good threads, a few good posts, and some of the best writing I’ve ever done about a few games I truly care about. I would never do it again, and I would never recommend that anyone do, but overall I’ve come to be proud of that crazy year.

And you should be proud of yours. I’ve read every AGSD that followed me. I didn’t comment much because they were either games I hadn’t played or because I felt I had nothing to add after spending a year repeating the same stuff for a year on a daily basis. (Honestly, I hardly ever post on these forums anymore; I’m a broken record at this point.) But I read all of it, and enjoyed it.

Three years ago, I wrote that “I always thought of Wreck’s original AGSD threads as a sort of Advent calendar. Every day, at a set time, you would get this little surprise. I loved that; I loved the excitement of seeing a new AGSD thread and wondering what it was going to be about today.” I still feel the same to this day, and I’m glad you and chrissie were able to make that happen for the past year. And even though I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy, I hope someone (hopefully a group of several people) will make it go on.

Karlok and chrissie, you should be proud of what you’ve done. It make take you a while (and a long break from the forums) to feel that way, but you should. Smile

Total Posts: 1653

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Karlok & chrissie, you two did a teriffic job at AGSOTD, and you girls really should be proud about what you achieved. I know I could’ve post a comment or two more, but despite this, that was something I was looking forward every day.
I’m one of those who don’t mind about spoilers to much.For me this would be more interesting if that particular scene would be “spoilers welcome” Tongue .Now even if you put your text into spoiler tags, you feel bad about it.I would go even further with this.When you post a game scene, you could even describe a little about puzzles on that location.That way everybody could get the basic idea, how puzzles works in that game.And also if that game is your cup of tea and worth buying.
I just don’t get it why you’re all so sensitive about a little spoiler (Like that pic on the review site from almost 20 years old game) but than you could all replay that same game for about 10 more times without any problems.
Those are just my two cents…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I take off my hat and salute anyone with the dedication to bring us our daily bread AGSotD for a full year on end. I’ve read every single one, and al I can say is: thanks, and respect!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I always hold in the outmost respect, not only the great work and dedication shown,  but the vast knowledge of all those adventure games too that every AGSotD host has offered us thus far. For all these you have my thanks and my admiration.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Thank you for all your hard work, Karlok and Chrissie.
I don’t remember if I ever posted in the discussion of the scenes.
Usually I have nothing important to say even if I have played the game.
But I certainly enjoyed seeing a new game featured every day.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Gee, thanks everybody! Kiss But you’re not getting rid of me that easily, I still have a month to go.  Tongue

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Kurufinwe - 02 May 2015 03:02 AM

Obviously, you want some variety in the selection of games, but I don’t see why you’d want to keep digging for more and more obscure games just for the sake of not posting anything from some game that was covered in the past ........................ Ultimately, it’s about generating interesting conversation.

Kurufinwe, the criteria of Karlok & myself was to give a game, that we had played/tried ourselves, not covered by yourself or Bastich its own AGSotD. Neither of us deliberately ‘dug’ for obscure games & for my part any games I featured that you may consider obscure were ones that I had already played or had as a disc version in a pile I was prompted to get on with! Obviously during our time both of us are continuing to play any new games that appeal to us! As Karlok stated we have between us posted screenshots from past games & particularly Karlok within her mid-week specials! 

Karlok - 02 May 2015 05:07 AM

I don’t need you or anybody else to tell me I failed, I realized that a long time ago. But I did try. I also tried to do something new, like the collages (blonde and dumb, Watson, X-mas), which fell flat. So yes, my style, my character, and my approach are partly to blame for the lack of response.

Kurufinwe - 02 May 2015 06:30 AM

Karlok, believe me I’ve been there. I know how draining this whole year must have been, and I know how hard it is to try to be interesting or insightful or entertaining, and to get the feeling that clearly you’re none of those things because nobody cares. I was there two years ago, calling the whole thing a “dismal failure”, and suggesting that it should end after me.

I’ve only been posting for 2 days a week & feel concerned about how AGSotD left you feeling Kurufinwe & now you Karlok. 
I’ll start with saying that I have Bing as my home page on the Internet as I like looking at the new pictures every day & occasionally will click on the link to find out more!
The next thing is that I only agreed to collaborate with you Karlok as I just loved looking to see what you posted each day Kurufinwe & after that the screenshots from Bastich & wanted to see this thread continue!  Yes, we still have a month to go Karlok but it’s worked out so well in that for the most part you are the gaming vet that I am not & you’re more amenable to trying the newer more experimental games & I feel that I am the more ‘middle road’ gamer!

Please don’t equate 0 comments to failure & be realistic in that if you think you’re doing such a bad job why are there consistently 100 -200+ views each day?  It’s a nice theory to think that the screenshots may generate a discussion & if it does I’ve just considered it a bonus!!! Also even though I know what games you might present Karlok I never know when so I look forward to your screenshot each day! I’ve loved your organisation on this with your fringe days, text days etc & mid-week specials - just because I haven’t posted doesn’t mean that I haven’t appreciated!!!! And I’m sure I’m not the only one! 

Also thanks all for your very nice comments - I would dearly like to see this thread continue & have some suggestions which I’ll post later to incorporate some interesting ones made so far but what is very obvious is that to commit to a year is far too long!   

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I did a little experiment - I picked 13 random AGSOTD threads (not knowing how much replies they have) from each of the three “AGSOTD hosts” - Kurufinwe, Bastich and Karlok & chrissie. I tried to include all months in the samples, meaning I was choosing 13 random threads balancing from the beginning, through the middle until the end.

Average number of replies on those 13 threads are:

Kurufinwe’s AGSOTD - 7.31 (1, 3, 0, 15, 11, 6, 9, 5, 12, 5, 15, 4, 9)
Bastich’s AGSOTD - 2.50 (2, 3, 2, 0, 2, 0, 2, 9, 0, 4, 1, 3, 4)
Karlok & chrissie’s AGSOTD - 6.85 (6, 5, 14, 15, 1, 2, 5, 15, 3, 6, 12, 4, 1)

I’m sure I did a little injustice to Bastich by my random picking (actually, I’d love if someone else would do the similar experiment and post the results), but the experiment did tell me what I wanted to know (and suspected) - when Kurufinwe revived the “scenes”, there was a lot of “fresh” talk, as it was new idea to some, and still “retro new” to those who witnessed it earlier. Bastich’s era indeed featured less member’s activity, mostly to the fact that he was using games Kurufinwe didn’t. But the fact that Karlok & chrissie’s AGSOTD came close to the first revival is a huge success IMO - along with the fact that they were also using great deal of obscure ones. That’s why I think the duo works great (Karlok’s and chrissie’s taste in games is sort of a complementary, as are descriptions style) and people got used to it, so it would be nice if Karlok & chrissie would at least do another year or two.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

diego - 02 May 2015 03:43 PM

so it would be nice if Karlok & chrissie would at least do another year or two.

Aaaaaaaaaagh….................... Wink

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Karlok - 02 May 2015 10:52 AM

Gee, thanks everybody! Kiss But you’re not getting rid of me that easily, I still have a month to go.  Tongue

I’m looking forward to seeing what you and Chrissie cook up for us this last month, just as I have all year.  The scenes each day may not always trigger comments, but it’s not at all a reflection of your efforts.  Even if members have nothing to contribute on a particular day or only have time to read but not post, the scenes are still fun to view and a wonderful resource for learning about games.  I applaud your dedication and that of your predecessors.  Thumbs Up  Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 02 May 2015 02:48 PM

Please don’t equate 0 comments to failure & be realistic in that if you think you’re doing such a bad job why are there consistently 100 -200+ views each day?  It’s a nice theory to think that the screenshots may generate a discussion & if it does I’ve just considered it a bonus!!!

You’re right, Chrissie. Lady Kestrel and crabapple said the same thing. It’s good to know that people do enjoy our daily posts. Smile

Enough about me. The topic of this thread is the future of AGSotD. I hope that the next AGSotD guardians will work just as well together as Chrissie and I have. The best cooperation ever!

diego - 02 May 2015 03:43 PM

That’s why I think the duo works great (Karlok’s and chrissie’s taste in games is sort of a complementary, as are descriptions style) and people got used to it, so it would be nice if Karlok & chrissie would at least do another year or two.

LOL!

Diego, how about YOU taking over? You’re the first person I thought of. Guess why. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top