• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What Do We Need?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i dont know if it is me only but when i look around at any new Adventures or an upcoming project i see more negativity than positivity from posters and fans.
and before i start writing i am not dis-including myself out of this.

we Have a Company like Daedalic that is well established , doesn’t pay much money in the production process on the matter that they think would stop the their Products or delay them or even to risking financial issues/profits , they understood that Adventure Players are forgiving to those things ; dull Animation,not Fully rendered 3d games as long as they have something good by the name of the Book of Adventures, that’s say “i have no problem playing Day of The Tentacle today, with has pixeled Graphics and frustrating interface as long as it satisfies my Adventuring needs”  and maybe they are wrong or they think they understood their spectators mentality that they would rather play an Adventure with flaws better than to Play another that just looks up to date but will threw it away after 5 mins of trying (as the guys of Pendulo’s Day One say, “Adventure player are not kids” (at least anymore) and back to Daedalic they gave us 5-6 games with reasonable production ,lack finial polishes because they know that what we want, OR NOT??.

lets look at Wadjet eye they clearly said the hell with the last 20 years Gaming evolution, we like to Give Adventures as it was in its golden age and we are sure the spectators will love them instead of high budget games that suck, but then again the same old story, “Retro games ,NOW!! .. why these people dont look at their calender and see what year is it or are they are in a comma” , but that what they can afford or nothing at all.

Telltale they played it well from start, like a movie producer who takes a famous and a best selling Books and turn them into movies, they would be sure that will not lose even if only the Book/Novel’ fans came to watch .. . they made their name over other’ Publicity as Lucas, and now they are the most funding company that produce the best quality Adventure, but you know what! , they suck now, they would not care an inch about the adventure Players.

about the German developers, maybe they the only ones who care about adventuring but they all have the same marketing ideas, suck the German market 1st before going global, even if that would take years and we witnessed that with Book of Unwritten Tales and all Deck13 Games.

and as for the kickstarters Upcoming projects, expect for Tim’s i read also a lots of negative posts about how they will end up to be nothing but some low budgeted Games (i said that myself once), and how they will represent nothing new only what they did 20 years ago again… and so on.

there are many examples but i think at least i been able to get out what is in my mind.

and OK that is it, what i wrote is not an article, do i take a side or have point that i stress on, NO, but i just wanted with my bad translation to understand what women Adventurers want. ....at these times.

P.S: Please if anyone have a comment on my bad writing and phrasing better keep the effort to comment on the subject.

Thanks

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I don’t know what others need but I’m not negative towards new projects or anything really. I can be sarcastic and sometimes I like to whine but overall I’m quite positive and easily excitable person.

I think there’s tons of good games now, coming and always been. It’s sad that the adventure game companies go down now and then (or quite often) but I still trust there will be more adventures.

What I’ve always wanted the most is the good story, real drama. It can be saving the world in a sci-fi or fantasy setting or it can be something very small scale too, as long as it’s moving. Logical puzzles and atmospheric setting always works. And I’m all for trying something new, when they at least make the effort to try to make it good, not just copy other genres with crappier outcome.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

I think my main problem with a lot of graphic adventures now is down to a lack of ambition. People like Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, Ragnar Tornquist, etc. were pushing the possibilities of what could be done within adventure games to their limits (I should add, the limits at the time).

The problem is that now, a lot of adventure developers are making games in this style that is now quite old-fashioned and I think that in deliberately utilising such a (now) outmoded style, that sense of ambition in the 90s and early 00s is sort of lost because they’re all stuck in the past.

Not sure if this makes sense; but what I’m basically saying is that adventure developers need to think about what they can do to be more modern and relevant—not necessarily by making themselves more like more action-orientated games, but more by just experimenting and seeing what they can do that is new and fresh.

Or somethin’.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hammerite - 26 July 2012 06:43 AM

I think my main problem with a lot of graphic adventures now is down to a lack of ambition. People like Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer, Ragnar Tornquist, etc. were pushing the possibilities of what could be done within adventure games to their limits (I should add, the limits at the time).

The problem is that now, a lot of adventure developers are making games in this style that is now quite old-fashioned and I think that in deliberately utilising such a (now) outmoded style, that sense of ambition in the 90s and early 00s is sort of lost because they’re all stuck in the past.

Not sure if this makes sense; but what I’m basically saying is that adventure developers need to think about what they can do to be more modern and relevant—not necessarily by making themselves more like more action-orientated games, but more by just experimenting and seeing what they can do that is new and fresh.

Or somethin’.

Regardless of what they need, is that what adventure gamers want? How well did innovative games like The Path and The Experiment sell? Very poorly I’d bet. Dear Esther and Botanicula probably sold better and those games did try to do something fresh, but I very much doubt they outsold the ‘stuck in the past’ games you’re talking about. I think the ambition’s there, it just depends if we want it. The rise of generic HOGs and casual games infiltrating our genre suggests probably not. The most praise I’ve seen in recent years was for Book of Unwritten Tales (2011 Aggie winner), one of the least ambitious adventure games I’ve played.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played allot of great adventure games in 2011 and I’ve got some great ones to buy in 2012.

Virtue’s Last Reward is going to be amazing and I can hardly wait to play it.

Wink

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so mostly we agree that there is NO especial feature (from the mention) adventures should look like whether if they Retro style, hand-drawn, fully 3D rendered and there no like the old Sierra-Vs-Lucas issue now , we accept all what God Gives us Smile

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-10-23

PM

DUDE, can you make some little bit of effort if you’re going to start a new thread, at least edit it down once, it reads like just a long random rant.

Anyway, ask me 5 years ago what I want and I would say that there just isn’t any hope for adventure-games, but now, convergence, geminie rue and especially resonance is doing it!

However unlike most I DO care about graphics so it’s starting to feel a little bit silly to pay up for these low production values, so what I want? Resonance-style games with Heavy Rain production quality.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mad Manny - 27 July 2012 04:04 PM

DUDE, can you make some little bit of effort if you’re going to start a new thread, at least edit it down once, it reads like just a long random rant.

i can dont edit my thread more i can do, unless, you want me to send it to some professional editor who can send it to me after sucking my money,but sorry i can not afford to do this or to shut up either, thanks for the advice anyway.

Resonance-style games with Heavy Rain production quality.

i like that ,Imagine…Wadjet eyes Games Produced by Telltale for example , maybe that would provide the the Quality of the Lookout and the writing at the same Time.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

I think one thing that might help the more “indie” developers would be to work together.
One good game is far better (IMHO anyway) than two or three poor ones. As well as making a “higher budget”, it would also mean more people to bounce ideas off, and could make for a better skills mix, or if some skill areas are still lacking, might increase the chances of being able to find someone with those skills from elsewhere.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Blah - 28 July 2012 10:11 AM

One good game is far better (IMHO anyway) than two or three poor ones.

i like that , yea Imagine how many games with Resonance’s real adventure style/writing and Classic Mode (with all the Up to date features) can come out of the production facilities that is applicable for the waking dead ..........hmmmmm
(i am not sure know but) it us hard evaluate all ,the tools and the options. but at least i say/give a number of 2 or 3 ?!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2011-10-23

PM

Advie - 27 July 2012 05:14 PM

i like that ,Imagine…Wadjet eyes Games Produced by Telltale for example , maybe that would provide the the Quality of the Lookout and the writing at the same Time.

I said production-quality and you thought of Telltale?!?!? Gasp

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

We probably don’t know what we want until we see it and even then that would be different for everybody.

Personally, what I want is a game with the budget and feel of Heavy Rain or La Noire, but without the non adventure bits tacked on. A game with great, memorable characters, snappy dialogue and a compulsive story.  Stories that wouldn’t be afraid to touch adult situations, push into new story genres outside the basic investigation plots.

It would use the power of the newest pc or console to allow multiple solutions to the puzzles, Smart AI characters that adapt to your game style without breaking the story, Co-op play with other characters, adaptive stores with multiple endings etc etc

basically I want the impossible with the way the genre is at the moment.

So what I settle for is games with Interesting characters, good stories and challenging but logical puzzles. I firmly believe that if you have characters that people enjoy and a decent script then you can make a decent game no matter the graphic style. However you could have the best looking game in history, but it will suck if the characters are bland and the story forgettable.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

What I’d really like to see taken further is Stern and Mateas’ approach in Facade.

(Btw, I’d love to see a review of it here on AG. Quite a few years have passed since Facade came out—but I think it could be interesting and valuable to revisit it.)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mad Manny - 28 July 2012 01:48 PM

Ok, Seriously Manny i actually failed to express the exact word ,i never learnt English and that kind of dialogue speaking i got only came from my desire to watch ,play and read in English, so in a simple phrase i translate my arabic in English ,not speak English .

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Why not? Probably the most polished adventure game makers currently operating.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 31 July 2012 09:28 AM

Why not? Probably the most polished adventure game makers currently operating.

surly Oscar but maybe if i had said Resonance-style games with Heavy Rain budget would have been more convenient,  as maybe M.MANNY thought of the Production (word) as a whole, and he then could be correct somehow .

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top