• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure game literature and comics

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I have been reading the Tex Murphy novels the last couple of days and got to wondering if there are any other books or comics related to adventure games that I have not heard about. I hope you can help out.

Of the top of my head I can think of;

Tex Murphy UAKM novel
Tex Murphy PD novel
The Dig novel
Rama novel 1 & 2
Beneath a Steel Sky comic
Gabriel Knight 1 comic
Gabriel Knight 3 comic
Broken Sword Directors Cut comic

Please enlighten me if there are any other similar books or comics I have not heard about, I would love to read them:)

Thanks

Jawa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

GK1 and GK2 have novels. The first one is little more than a glorified walkthrough, complete with the silliest puzzles; the second one is great.

(If you pledge $50 or more to Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter, you get ebook versions of them as a bonus.)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

There are also a few Myst novels and King’s Quest novels. I had some of them when I was younger but didn’t hold onto them…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Are you interested in books/comics that are a direct consequence of the game.

Because technically the Rama game is based on the books and not the other way round. Arthur C Clark wrote 4 Rama books.

There are a bunch of Myst books, Zork books, King’s Quest novels, Starship Titanic and there was a Pandora Directive novel.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I am interested in anything really, related, based on, written before etc.

Thanks for the tips! Keep’em coming:)

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

Kurufinwe - 19 May 2012 06:06 PM

(If you pledge $50 or more to Jane Jensen’s Kickstarter, you get ebook versions of them as a bonus.)

wow. Those are expensive e-books.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

If smileys were working, that would get you a shifty smiley. Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Here are a few more not already mentioned

Mission Critical
Blackstone Chronicles (a series of books)
The Martian Chronicles
Timeline

Rama (the game) was based on the second Rama book by Sir Arthur Clarke. The games alien spacecraft was actually the second Rama vehicle that passed by Earth. I recommend reading both the first and second Rama book before playing the game. You will have a better understanding of what is going on in the game.

Of course there are the Agatha Christie books for each game.

The Arrival (game) was based on the Movie staring Charlie Sheen and the same with Blade Runner (game) based on the movie staring Harrison Ford and Congo: Descent Into Zinj (game) based on the movie staring Tim Curry

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-10-11

PM

Benoit Sokal created 2 graphic novels that tied in to the release of Paradise. Good luck finding them in English however.

Alas, I would post a link to the french versions of these comics on Amazon, but the new forums refuse to post the link ‘cause they see the link as spam.

Run you pigeons, it’s Robert Frost!

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Eregian - 20 May 2012 09:22 AM

Benoit Sokal created 2 graphic novels that tied in to the release of Paradise. Good luck finding them in English however.

You’re right, I had forgotten about those. There are four of them actually (one for each of the game’s chapters). And I’m pretty sure they were never translated.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I could also mention the sam and max comic books. Of course in this case they are the predecessor of the adventure game Smile

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Jawa, there was also a comic for Broken Sword II: Remastered. Wink

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

And also for Beneath a Steel Sky - Remastered (but with the same comic as in the orignal one). Another example is Rise of the Dragon (partly comic). Some games by French companies were also based on comics/graphic novels, such as Quest for The Timebird and Bargon Attack.
(“Related”: The Dark Horse comics of Indiana Jones: The Fate of Atlantis.)

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

“Blade Runner” the movie on which the game is loosely based is likewise loosely based on a story “Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?” by Phillip K. Dick, an award-winning sci fi author.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Most of the games by Legend Entertainment were based on books, like Gateway, Death Gate, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, Companions of Xanth and Shannara.

Then there was Nikopol which was based on a graphic novel.

Can’t think of any more adventure games that were turned into books or comics, though.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

There is about 100 Discworld novels.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top