• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best PS4 disk released adventures?

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hi everyone,
I hope you can help me!

Christmas is coming and maybe I will get a new game for Winter. I almost never have the time to play, and I already spend a lot of time on my computer as a game developer. As a result when I find some free time and decide to play, I prefer to relax with my PS4 console in my old sofa.

However the games that I have obtained on the PS4 so far, even if they are beautiful and I liked many of them, are most of the time spectacle-oriented and with a lot of action/killings that are usually stressful. I don’t really need more stress and I am in a lack of adventure games on this console.

Also on my console I don’t have internet, so I can’t access the Playstation Network to download digital games.

That’s why I’m posting here: could you help me and start a list of good adventure games that have had a physical disk release on the PS4 console? Even if there aren’t a lot, there are probably a few ones that you found interesting?

I don’t really mind the graphic style, I’m just looking for a good story, not too much action and if there are a few good puzzles it’s great.
Please avoid the horror genre and stressful things as much as possible.  I’m also not a lot into QTE. The only ones I liked in this genre are Quantic Dream games.

Thank you for your help!

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

It would be useful to know what games you already own?

Not traditional adventure games, but if you are looking for something relaxing, you should try this; https://www.amazon.co.uk/PlayStation-9841432-Journey-Collectors-Edition/dp/B0146QOOM8

You can also check this list of 104 games released on disc in the adventure category for ps4 on Mobygames: https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/playstation-4/adventure/tic,21/ti,1095/

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The only ones I can really think of are…

Simon_ASA - 10 December 2020 05:14 AM

The only ones I liked in this genre are Quantic Dream games.

Never mind… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have STACKS of adventure games on my PS4 Pro. Here are just a few I recommend:

Until Dawn

Blacksad

Dreamfalll: Chronicles

Detroit: Became Human

The Council

The Man of Medan

FYI many AAA adventure games have sold millions of copies on the PS4 and adventure games are very popular on the platform.

I myself stream them to my iPad mini and play them there.

Crazy

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Oh, that’s great everyone!!

@Jawa, Sorry I thought I had said more clearly that I have no adventure game (in the traditional sense)on the PS4 except Detroit.
The list on Mobygames is what I was looking for!

Maybe I will choose Syberia 3… I don’t know yet because I heard of all the issues in this game, and without internet on the console I won’t be able to get the updates.

I’m also interested in Dreamfall, Blacksad, Yesterday Origins, Truberbrook, Crime & Punishment….
In fact I’m *very* curious about Blacksad and it could be my 2nd choice if Syberia 3 is not a good idea.

Well, I think that thanks to your help I have made a good list now!! There’s more than enough for me to play until 2030! Wink

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I see.

Well, here is my advice. Stay the f*ck away from Syberia 3.
Dreamfall, Blacksad and Crimes & Punishment are ok.
Yesterday Origins is mediocre.
Truberbrook is a pretty turd.

Merry Christmas.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The sad part is, many of these games take a patch to play correctly. Blacksad is one of those. These patches are down loaded. Because of this, it would recommend The Council, or The Man of Medan, they were pretty much patch free.

And yes, Syberia 3 is an ugly mess that some patches you down load help a little.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

If I find a way to connect the PS4 to internet to download the latest updates, is Syberia 3 worth the try?

What Jawa says about the games is not very encouraging!

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Sorry, did not mean to be a negative Nancy. It’s just my honest opinion.

Even with patches, I think Syberia 3 is a bad game. The story is super boring, the gameplay is tedious and the puzzles unmemorable. And I loved Syberia 1 & 2.

If the ones you mentioned are the ones you are going to choose from, Blacksad, Dreamfall or Crimes & Punishment would be your best bet.

My recommendation would be to get an internet connection and download Heavy Rain and/or Beyond: Two Souls instead.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Oh I already played Heavy Rain and Beyond on the PS3 Smile

Too bad for Syberia 3… What a waste if they really did such a bad game.

Ok I’ll think about it a little more, then. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Simon_ASA - 12 December 2020 05:31 AM

Oh I already played Heavy Rain and Beyond on the PS3 Smile

Too bad for Syberia 3… What a waste if they really did such a bad game.

Ok, I’ll think about it a little more, then. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!

well, isn’t this situation the worst that could happen to anyone, from the devs; as how they meddled with one of the greatest titles, if not ‘the’ greatest of that genre relaunch (if you like, after the dead 3 years after Lucas& Sierra shut down) to the fans which it really had hurt them to see it sinking with all its hype and the expectations down the drain (tho i have to admit that the first 25-35% of the game were very OK, by any means)

the problem really that saddened me is that Microids had done almost everything right but (except) the game-playing/design.
and let us just forget about the game’s memories of its initial release’s bugs and patches.

if you push the series previous state and try to upscale it with all the up-to-date features, so it can appeal to everyone, rather than the original fans whom would have accepted or even loved Syberia3 damn so much it its was released by the old 12-14 years earlier outlook or presentation, instead of spending ALL that money into different aspects/features which were never by any means behind their success, really!; as if the devs or the teams that worked on Syebria3 hadn’t the basic or the slightest idea of Syberia and ths IP.

i only have been able to play it this year too, due to lacking a system up to the game’s sys-requirements back then, maybe but i would be exaggerating if I said it was the reason behind me buying a new laptop, but seriously it at least it was one of them reasons.

Add: wow, sorry,  my whole reply is hasty (as always) on the idea that you already tried it,  Simon. Smile

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Even with patches, Syberia 3 is easily one of the worst adventure games of all time. Still buggy and crash prone even patched. Stay away.

We had 3 trilogies with third games that were lacking, Secret Files 3 and Dreamfall Chapters got less than stellar reviews also. The PS4 release of Chapters is updated and better than the PC original release so I recommend it especially because it can be found at a good price now.

A really great game is Little Hope, it is simply wonderful, just got it and it’s pretty great, amazing graphics and plays like a dream.

Heart

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

Even if I enjoy the series myself, The Dark Pictures Anthology is largely based on quicktime events, tho. And somewhat stressful. Something the OP specifically stated they did not enjoy, apart from QD games.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

You’re right: Little Hope, as much as Man of Medan, are not really for me.

I found out that I have Dreamfall Chapters on GOG and tried it a few years ago, but didn’t really dive into it at that time. However I loved The Longest Journey and if the PS4 version of Chapters is better than the PC version, it might just be what I needed in order to enjoy this game!

It’s decided then! Thanks for your help everyone! I give up Syberia 3 and will wait for the 4th episode. And I go with Chapters which is not very expensive indeed Smile

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I think both the GOG version and PS4 version have been equally updated. At least my replay of DF Chapters on PC earlier this year was a totally different experience from when it first was released. What exactly is better in the PS4 version?

I do hope you try Dreamfall The longest Journey if you have not played it and enjoyed the first game. It is getting old, but I still like it more than Chapters.

Anyway, I hope you have a good time playing.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The PS4 only got the final cut only with these improvements:

Improved art and sound, including new and revised character models, improved lighting, an expanded soundtrack, remastered voice-overs and reworked sound effects.
Improved performance.
Improved controller support.
Improved German and French localisation.
Improved Support for save slots

The final cut was also released eventually on the PC.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top