• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ken Williams’ book is out

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

As the title says, the book Ken Williams was writing about Sierra has been published. You can get it at least from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-Happy-Endings-Line-ebook/dp/B08KG2XLMR/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1UWQYGEESLZFH&dchild=1&keywords=ken+williams&qid=1601668203&sprefix=ken+willia,aps,244&sr=8-5

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

$7.95 on Amazon for Kindle download.

Not sure what Ken can tell us that we don’t already know. Many former employees have already told us about the collapse. Some are justifiably bitter. If this is Ken’s way to put a positive spin on what happened, I really have no interest in reading it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

rtrooney - 02 October 2020 08:53 PM

$7.95 on Amazon for Kindle download.

Not sure what Ken can tell us that we don’t already know. Many former employees have already told us about the collapse. Some are justifiably bitter. If this is Ken’s way to put a positive spin on what happened, I really have no interest in reading it.

From his recent interviews and comments it seems he has regrets, and the name of the book is telling you it’s not pretty. For me it’ll be interesting to get a firsthand account from the CEO, however full of pro-CEO spin and empty of worker viewpoints it may be. Certainly there’s no true reckoning, as they’re extremely wealthy while a lot of the staff probably suffered for years and may still be.

Nevertheless, I bought the print edition. Fully respect a decision not to read it though.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m about 45 pages in and thus far it’s been surprisingly well written and even has a humour about it. But those first chapters are about Ken’s personality and what kind of a person he is and was back then, which is also interesting, as it lays down on how aggressive he was in seeking his fortune. He was from a poor family and saw from the young age he had only two options, either to become rich (that’s what he states, he didn’t want to be successful, he wanted to be rich) or die an alcoholic.

It’s evident he was a driven personality. The fact he married Roberta only 5-days after he turned 18 speaks for that. For his personality, computer business was born in the exact right moment in time, as that gave him the path onwards.

So yes, it’s going to be the tale of a company as told by the CEO of the company, but it also seems to have a certain degree of honesty about it. How deep that goes remains to be seen, but from what I’ve already read, it does seem honest enough.

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

This need of rich/famous people to do their own biographies is just bleh to me. I’m not saying it can’t be interesting or that it never offers insight, but it’s basically always the same.

I came from [insert relatable background] and early decided to do [whatever it is they did]. I overcome this [relatable hurdle] and then got [successful/won/whatever]. There were [this and that problem], but I [overcame those/dealt with it/rebuild]. Now here I am and you can totally see how it’s justified why I have millions while people starve to death.

... this one is available on KU though so I’ll probably take a peak at what he writes about how it all fell apart. If coming out of it with yachts and vacation homes and all that can even be called that. Wink

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Pyoro-2 - 03 October 2020 07:38 AM

This need of rich/famous people to do their own biographies is just bleh to me. I’m not saying it can’t be interesting or that it never offers insight, but it’s basically always the same.

Indeed. There’ll always be another one in the future which will be more honest yada yada yada than their last 100%-honest book. Take a look at Jackie Chan’s nth autobiographies—only in his most recent one did he care to disclose what an awful human being he used to be in his personal life, especially to his family.

Just imagine what he’ll write in the next one.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Well, from what tomint said it does sound like he laments certain childhood decisions. A lot of people think it must be really nice being a millionaire but I really don’t think so, and in Ken’s case it sounds like the games he made were all business decisions rather than coming from a source of genuine passion or interest.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

He definitely isn’t hiding that even before his success with Sierra, he was constantly looking for the best possible deal, which leads him going through several different employers after he got his programming degree. He was obsessed with both, getting experience and getting a better salary offer as soon as it was possible.

He stated, that even went to their living arrangments, as after they got their first house, they sold it as soon as they could make a profit of it and moved to next house and so on.

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Vehelon - 03 October 2020 08:38 AM

A lot of people think it must be really nice being a millionaire but I really don’t think so

Only a millionaire would say such a thing! Are you? If so marry me! Heart Unless we’re talking about actresses that got Weinsteined for money and fame, I’m really curious as to why you’d think that.

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Maroko - 03 October 2020 09:33 AM
Vehelon - 03 October 2020 08:38 AM

A lot of people think it must be really nice being a millionaire but I really don’t think so

Only a millionaire would say such a thing! Are you? If so marry me! Heart Unless we’re talking about the actresses that got Weinsteined for money and fame, I’m really curious as to why you’d think that.

Ever seen a happy millionaire? Granted I haven’t met all of them but many of them seem too occupied trying to make more, or worried about what will happen to them should they lose it.

Oh, and about the marriage proposal - I doubt we’d last a day, but we can always give it a try!

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Vehelon - 03 October 2020 09:58 AM

Ever seen a happy millionaire?

Of course, tons! Look at all these sport prima-donnas enjoying their private beaches, stunning models and all around amazing lifestyles simply due to their bank accounts.

seem too occupied trying to make more, or worried about what will happen to them should they lose it.

But that stands for every single socio-economic class—much more for the lower ones I’d say, seeing as anything the top %ers do beats slaving away in a MacDonalds while counting pennies.

Oh, and about the marriage proposal - I doubt we’d last a day, but we can always give it a try!

DEAL! We can even sign a prenup cause it’s practically meaningless nowadays. I’ll get half of what you own as soon as I’m done with you Naughty

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Maroko - 03 October 2020 11:08 AM

DEAL! We can even sign a prenup cause it’s practically meaningless nowadays. I’ll get half of what you own as soon as I’m done with you Naughty

Oh believe me hon, I would still be getting the better deal! (plus I saw your pic in the pot-stirrer thread too Heart Eyes )

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

Vehelon - 03 October 2020 11:40 AM

Oh believe me hon, I would still be getting the better deal! (plus I saw your pic in the pot-stirrer thread too Heart Eyes )

Ever wonder what’s gonna happen when my beauty spell runs out?

You’re trapped in a prison of your own making now, honeybun! Hee-hehehe-hee!

Regarding the book: Amazon gives us a sneak peek till Chapter 8. Not only is Ken & Roberta’s just-married photo in Chapter 4 the cutest thing but that totally early-70s fashion is a sight to behold dear me!

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Aww.. nothin’ cuter than a woman who thinks her beauty is only skin deep…! Wink

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Pyoro-2 - 03 October 2020 07:38 AM

I came from [insert relatable background] and early decided to do [whatever it is they did]. I overcome this [relatable hurdle] and then got [successful/won/whatever]. There were [this and that problem], but I [overcame those/dealt with it/rebuild]. Now here I am and you can totally see how it’s justified why I have millions while people starve to death.

... this one is available on KU though so I’ll probably take a peak at what he writes about how it all fell apart. If coming out of it with yachts and vacation homes and all that can even be called that. Wink

This is how I’ve generally felt about autobiographies - I’ve barely read any in my adult life. But I think I’ve come around a bit to the value of reading directly from the source, even if you’re going to have to take everything with a grain of salt.

This case, with the subject long retired and out of public view, is also a little different than something like the current CEO of Starbucks writing one, or Bill Clinton writing one while Hillary is in office and actively seeking higher office.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Maroko - 03 October 2020 09:33 AM

Only a millionaire would say such a thing! Are you? If so marry me! Heart Unless we’re talking about actresses that got Weinsteined for money and fame, I’m really curious as to why you’d think that.

This statement and all that follow are nuts. No basis in fact. Trump saying climate change is a hoax.

Most millionaires I know, and they are in the $1-5M category, live off the dividends of their investments. Which is probably less than $90K. Which is not bad. But hardly in the yacht-buying category. They do get a social security check monthly. But much of that goes to paying various medical insurance costs. Most live in the same house they bought in the mid 80’s.

So, Maroko, I posit that you don’t know what you’re talking about. I’ve seen your posts in other forums. I think Lady Kestrel said it well. The word begins with a T and ends with an L.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top