• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #62 - Lighthouse: The Dark Being

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 27 September 2020 06:39 PM

I made it into the lab, and have done everything I can think of to do. Replaced and soldered the wire in the module next to the big computer. Used the big computer to raise the lighthouse mechanism. Replaced the tube in the mechanism. But I can’t find a way to get rid of the “Retry” screen on the small computer. It’s got to be something simple that I’m missing.

My guess is: you missed a location. Or at least a view in a location. I had the same issue.
Have you checked behind the cage in the lab? Have you checked above the tower’s lamp? And even then there’s still an additional step, but that should probably come to you quick enough.

I’ve just reached the beach. I solved the puzzle box sliding puzzle in less than a full episode of the Netflix series Ratched. Tongue
And only AFTERWARDS did I find the page with the drawing on it. Typical. Grin

Anyway, I suspect I did all I could do in the lighthouse, so I eagerly await the next part.

I’m actually starting to enjoy the game. Opening the portal in the lighthouse made me feel smart, and solving the sliding puzzle in the puzzle box pretty much made me do this:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If you mean the red ringed module, yes, that is active. And if you mean replacing the tube in the lighthouse module, yes, I’ve replaced that. We’re just using different terminology. There’s only one thing I can think of and that is pulling the third lever/switch in the cabinet outside the house. I just can’t believe that is it. But I guess I will have to go back and find out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 27 September 2020 07:54 PM

I just can’t believe that is it. But I guess I will have to go back and find out.

That was indeed the additional step I was thinking of. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

That was the one I was going to suggest as well.

Edit:  I’ll explain where the other pathway leads later.  Let’s let everyone get through this one first.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As an aside comment, Olga and I often discussed terminology when writing/editing the walkthrough. It was hard to find definitions on which everyone could agree. That was made all the more difficult when items in inventory were not identified as what they were.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 27 September 2020 07:58 PM
rtrooney - 27 September 2020 07:54 PM

I just can’t believe that is it. But I guess I will have to go back and find out.

That was indeed the additional step I was thinking of. Grin

Haven’t pulled the switch yet. Going to nap and pull it before the night ends.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

TimovieMan - 26 September 2020 08:37 PM

I’ve only played for a few minutes and reached the lighthouse. And already a few things bugged me…

In our journal we wrote that there’s a lighthouse “only a mile or two down the road”, except that we can clearly see the lighthouse just outside our window, only 200 meters or so away. And “it’s far enough away so the light isn’t a distraction” except that it lights up our entire living room every 8 seconds…
Also, the house we live in is situated quite a bit higher up than the lighthouse, probably making it a better lighthouse location than the actual lighthouse…

These little things get to me… Crazy

Dear God, I’m becoming a grumpy old man like my dad… Gasp

You could just think of those things as the protagonist being very, very stupid (and the lighthouse builders too)...

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Ah, made it to the beach.

I’m slightly in two minds on what to think. The puzzles have nearly been great. The puzzle box one was pretty involved and took me a good while. Maybe I missed a clue or something, but I ended up brute forcing the fish bit. The same is sort of true of the bit where you push in all the ‘single blocks’ in order and then move the other tetris pieces around to reveal the button but that one felt reasonable to not have a clue as at least the single blocks reset when you didn’t do it right.

Getting the lighthouse light/machine/thing back up and running was better I think, another puzzle with several stages which took a lot of trying things out. The computer you can try and reset that showed how far you were getting was a big plus for me - felt like there was a purpose/guide to putting all the steps together. Like Tim above, the thing that stumped me the most on that was re-setting the circuit breaker outside - i’d just forgotten about it!

The main gripe I had with the game puzzle-wise is where you have to use the crowbar 2 or 3 times in a row to get the desired effect. I know this is a long time staple of some sort of games, particularly back in the 90’s but it annoyed me then just as much as it does now.

I really like the fact the journal is voiced. I can’t remember whether it was in the version I had 20 years ago, but I guess it must have been.

Story/immersion wise I don’t think I really feel too much connection with the game or the characters - even the baby! Having said that the dark being is pretty intriguing.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 28 September 2020 06:47 AM

Maybe I missed a clue or something, but I ended up brute forcing the fish bit.

I brute-forced that too. Fortunately, after semi-randomly pushing in blocks and resetting a few times, I picked the right colour for the first fish, and after that it just came down to trying the different colours one after another.

The same is sort of true of the bit where you push in all the ‘single blocks’ in order and then move the other tetris pieces around to reveal the button but that one felt reasonable to not have a clue as at least the single blocks reset when you didn’t do it right.

I totally nailed that on my very first attempt. Only after resetting a bit later did I notice you could fumble that. Tongue

The main gripe I had with the game puzzle-wise is where you have to use the crowbar 2 or 3 times in a row to get the desired effect. I know this is a long time staple of some sort of games, particularly back in the 90’s but it annoyed me then just as much as it does now.

I noticed the graphics changed slightly after each attempt, which prompted me to retry immediately. Plus the fact that there was an actual animation meant you were on the right track.

It’s all better-clued in than these things were in earlier Sierra games (but later Sierra was always better at that, I found).

Story/immersion wise I don’t think I really feel too much connection with the game or the characters - even the baby! Having said that the dark being is pretty intriguing.

The game is still doing a far better job at that than Myst ever did.

So far, I really feel that this game is Myst, but better. Tongue

Legend has it that, when Myst sales completely overtook the King’s Quest V sales, Ken Williams called Jon Bock in his office, gave him a copy of Myst and asked “Can you make this?”, hence some of the similarities.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I finally arrived to the beach. I am liking the game so far, mainly the atmosphere and sound effects. It is great playing it at night with headphones. I don’t feel comfortable with the interface: first-person adventure games are not my cup of tea (in fact, I haven’t played Myst yet…), but after a few hours I think I am getting the hang of it (it cost me some time to figure out I could look at the ground in front of the main door to find the statues and the key).

One thing I dislike is the lack of objects descriptions. I even didn’t know I have a letter opener after I tried it!

I never used a safe so it wasn’t clear for me how to reset the puzzle nor I must turn left past the 0.

Thank God I have no kids, I would have been a terrible dad. I didn’t enter Mandy’s room, not even when I heard her crying, so when I went in, she was gone…

About the puzzle box, I don’t like sliders. In the end, I managed to solve it, but I still don’t know how… I didn’t understand the logic behind the fishes puzzle (if there is any…)

Fixing the lab was tricky. I never imagined I had to change the electric setting outside the lighthouse. The second time didn’t catch me by surprise already.

Finally, I felt young again restarting the computer and watching the RAM test haha.

Now awaiting for more…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The first time I played the game, I didn’t realize I could look up when I was at the top of the lighthouse, so after putting most things together, I was stuck.  I took a break and decided to climb up there one more time and placed my cursor in just the right spot to get the up arrow.  Also, during this playthrough, I had trouble locating the wire.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

walas74 - 28 September 2020 12:43 PM

I never used a safe so it wasn’t clear for me how to reset the puzzle nor I must turn left past the 0.

If you have the GOG version, there’s a hintbook included that provides helpful tips in solving some of the more obtuse puzzles. It’s relatively spoiler-free too.

Thank God I have no kids, I would have been a terrible dad. I didn’t enter Mandy’s room, not even when I heard her crying, so when I went in, she was gone…

Hehe, “check on the baby” was my first instinct. I even found it odd that I couldn’t heat the milk I gave her to calm her down. Babies usually don’t drink refrigerated milk…
So when she was crying again and the dark being was there, I would probably have tackled him before he could reach inside the cradle.
That’s also why, without Lady K’s instructions, I would have gone after him immediately.

Finally, I felt young again restarting the computer and watching the RAM test haha.

One GB of RAM was insane for 1996. If I recall correctly, 8 or 16 MB was standard with 32 MB already being high end. 1024 MB was mainframe territory. Cool

Lady Kestrel - 28 September 2020 01:20 PM

The first time I played the game, I didn’t realize I could look up when I was at the top of the lighthouse, so after putting most things together, I was stuck.

That’s where I was stuck longest too. That’s also why I originally assumed that was what Tim was stuck on as well…

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Flipped the switch this morning, and find myself on the beach. I remember there were three things I needed to collect on the beach, and have two of them. The third is a device I need to open the drawbridge. I’ve looked around a bit. But will call it quits until Lady K starts us moving again.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1239

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

TimovieMan - 28 September 2020 02:47 PM
walas74 - 28 September 2020 12:43 PM

If you have the GOG version, there’s a hintbook included that provides helpful tips in solving some of the more obtuse puzzles. It’s relatively spoiler-free too.

Yeah, I saw it and used it for the fishes puzzle, thanks.

Hehe, “check on the baby” was my first instinct. I even found it odd that I couldn’t heat the milk I gave her to calm her down. Babies usually don’t drink refrigerated milk…
So when she was crying again and the dark being was there, I would probably have tackled him before he could reach inside the cradle.
That’s also why, without Lady K’s instructions, I would have gone after him immediately.

And what I do with the milk now? Haha

One GB of RAM was insane for 1996. If I recall correctly, 8 or 16 MB was standard with 32 MB already being high end. 1024 MB was mainframe territory. Cool

Well, it has to open an interdimensional portal, so I guess it is a mainframe.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 28 September 2020 02:47 PM

I have a paper player’s handbook that came with my discs.  I wonder if it’s the same one. 

I just checked my game database, and I bought the game used from an eBay vendor in Sept. of 2003. It cost a whopping $8.50 and came in perfect condition.  The last time I played it was 2007.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top