• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure game puzzles. Which types you like most & least? Feedback appreciated for game dev

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2014-10-02

PM

chrissie - 27 July 2020 08:14 AM
starseeker - 27 July 2020 07:33 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I am having a creative block at the moment & wanted to see if anyone has good ideas.

This is the wrong way to go starseeker - either have a break from the game to have a think about what you can do or try to engage the services of someone to collaborate with you.  Smile

I understand what you meant, & I have given a lot of thoughts of whether I should engage the community in-game ideas. The last thing I want is to feel I am exploiting people for free labor.

As a passionate gamer, I am quite active in forums of games I enjoyed, I & a lot of community are more than happy to provide ideas/feedbacks to developers. Sometimes developers adopt the ideas/feedback, most time not.

Some people are happy to do so, some not, its a pure volunteering basis. If people overwhelmingly disapprove of game dev opening asking for ideas, then I happy stop asking for ideas. The feedback I am sure is fine.

I do agree I need to take a break for the game. This week is suppose to be my holiday, & you know what I do. I work.
Every day I work 12hrs+-, every day of the week. This probably drained a lot of my creative juice.

I personally thought it could be fun & exciting for both side (where developers & gamers can exchange ideas instead of one way street), & if any developers wanted me to give ideas, I happily do so if I have any good ones.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 26 July 2020 01:49 PM

I never managed to finish Traitors’ Gate. Hard, easy to go wrong. But I liked it.

Very hard game. I would say it’s impossible to complete in 24 hours if you play it straight from beginning to end. I did complete it, but it took me close to, if not more than 70 hours. Save game. Go to next location and figure out what needs to be done and how to do it. Restore game. Solve location. Save game. Repeat. I really liked the game. Which is the only reason I went through the process. I can easily see why a player would say “Enough of this sh**.” and pull the plug.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-10-02

PM

Thanks to a discussion on the slider mechanic. I decide to add a lite slider mechanic to the puzzle sequence for the first chapter of my game. Feel free to critic.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s quite interesting, now I have some insight on how a puzzle is designed. Thanks for sharing. Looks like it would be a fun puzzle to solve.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2014-10-02

PM

Mikekelly - 30 July 2020 06:39 AM

That’s quite interesting, now I have some insight on how a puzzle is designed. Thanks for sharing. Looks like it would be a fun puzzle to solve.

Heart

Thanks. I can’t wait to implement this in as well. I want to point out the paper illustration isn’t how as much how I design a puzzle, but more so on the sequence of the puzzles.

I can explain briefly how I approach designing a puzzle or the story. I started with the end goal, in this case, opening the door. Then I work back/forward to fill in until I have a complete sequence.

For instance, I had a simple puzzle about a combination lock from a postcard. The combination is Michael Birthday. Its not overly hard to alone, but works fine for a subpuzzle in a grander puzzle sequence.

Also, there is a discussion on sliding puzzles, so I thought if I can integrate it in. So I thought of 2 cabinets side by side, pull the small one, then push the big one.

It is neat but seems too simplistic, so I thought about how I can add more value by adding more steps?
I thought; how about needing to empty the book cabinet so it’s not too heavy, & you need to lock the cabinet back, or else the drawers will just slide out as you pull one of the handles.

So with some reverse engineering, a simple puzzle is now expanded while remain coherent. 

I hope my explain is clear & help you in some capacity.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2021-06-12

PM

tomimt - 22 July 2020 09:30 AM

I usually do like all kinds of puzzles, but my least favourite type of puzzles are based on sequence repetition and music/sound.

By sequence repetition, I mean the kind of puzzles where you have to, for example, press buttons in the right sequence first shown to you. I think these kinds of puzzles are generally a waste of time.

With sound/music puzzles I mean the kind of puzzles where you are given a right password by using different tones and you have to then try to guess right numeric code by figuring out what key on the keypad makes which sound.

In general it all really depends on how the puzzles are designed, but I do get the best kick out of puzzles that require some kind of sleuthing around.

Got any specific example for such a mini game?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top