• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which actors would star in a Broken Sword movie?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe - 21 July 2020 11:42 AM

First of all Georgie must be brit like…....

Sorry Gabe, this has been on my mind since you posted it & I need to ask - just how many ‘brit like’ people start off life being born & raised in Idaho? How many of them end up being a patent lawyer having to work in New York as a bail bondsman?  Laughing

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Well,what more can i say coz he’s Cecil’s alter ego.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe - 24 July 2020 04:50 PM

And you think that because…....?  Smile

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

Gabe - 24 July 2020 04:50 PM

What does this mean?

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

So when you say ‘Brit like’ you mean he’s an American with the soul of a Brit?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am certain that we have many fine British actors that can play an American. However, there are many fine American actors that can play George very well also. How about Ryan Gosling?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Mikekelly Pan

Ryan Gosling is NOT American. He’s a fine Canadian boy.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Jackal Pan

Are you suggesting “British” is a nationality? Because if Mikekelly was talking British as in the island of Great Britain he must have also been talking about the continent of (North) America, not the USA.

Which means Ryan Gosling is as American as Sean Connery is British.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Luhr28 - 29 July 2020 03:29 AM

Jackal Pan

Are you suggesting “British” is a nationality? Because if Mikekelly was talking British as in the island of Great Britain he must have also been talking about the continent of (North) America, not the USA.

Which means Ryan Gosling is as American as Sean Connery is British.

If you want to be picky,  Great Britain is part of the continent of Europe so therefore if Ryan Gosling is (North) American Sean Connery is European!  Laughing

You are inviting a lot of trouble here if you confuse Americans with Canadians, Pakistanis with Indians & Australians with new Zealanders etc.  Crazy

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Scotland and Great Britain are part of the same sovereign country. The US and the bilingual English/French Commonwealth country of Canada are decidedly not. Even fought a war to decide the matter.

(Also, Sean Connery is not British.)

Incidentally, I don’t like Gosling for George. Or Pine. I’m sure they could both do the part justice, but George shouldn’t be a “leading man” type actor. It’s a role made for more of an everyman.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jackal - 29 July 2020 08:50 AM

Scotland and Great Britain are part of the same sovereign country. The US and the bilingual English/French Commonwealth country of Canada are decidedly not. Even fought a war to decide the matter.

(Also, Sean Connery is not British.)

I beg to differ on that one Jackal as Scotland is part of Great Britain aka the United Kingdom. I.e. there is no Scotland and Great Britain.
Scotland, although they have their own parliament & have a separate legal system are not entirely independent so are still under the greater jurisdiction of the British government & therefore technically Sean Connery is British which covers the term for natives & nationals of the UK. Smile

The term British is a strange one though as I would call myself English as anyone from Scotland, Wales & Ireland (Northern) would refer to themselves as Scottish (e.g. Sean Connery), Welsh & Irish respectively rather than British!    Laughing

The term British seems to be used more commonly by people who have immigrated here, by people who’ve emigrated to other countries & by everyone else outside looking in e.g. when I’m abroad I’m a Brit when I’m home I’m English. Sean Connery if he was abroad & not known would be a Brit rather than Scottish.    Smile

Mikekelly - 28 July 2020 06:50 AM

I am certain that we have many fine British actors that can play an American. However, there are many fine ........ actors that can play George very well also. How about Ryan Gosling?

Heart

I think that any good actors if they can be made up to look the part can play the part.  Smile

Jackal - 29 July 2020 08:50 AM

........but George shouldn’t be a “leading man” type actor. It’s a role made for more of an everyman.

I don’t think it matters as long the actor’s ego doesn’t get in the way so that they can present that ‘everyman’ to bring George’s character to life rather than promote themselves.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Right. Hard to keep track of all the names there are for one small island group. Tongue I was trying to differentiate Scotland from England, but it wouldn’t have made sense to say Connery wasn’t English.

You certainly could ask a leading man type to play an everyman, and they could probably do it. But why would you? In my experience, there’s always that sense of them playing such a role instead of really being lost in it. Probably helps sells tickets, but usually not the best results.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jackal - 29 July 2020 10:01 AM

You certainly could ask a leading man type to play an everyman, and they could probably do it. But why would you? In my experience, there’s always that sense of them playing such a role instead of really being lost in it. Probably helps sells tickets, but usually not the best results.

I understand what you’re saying there & don’t disagree.

But that does mean that for the purposes of this thread, apart from suggesting Joe Bloggs that lives down the road that does a little bit of amateur dramatics we need to have a think about unknown actors that turn up in bit parts? Smile

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Jackal - 29 July 2020 10:01 AM

Right. Hard to keep track of all the names there are for one small island group. Tongue I was trying to differentiate Scotland from England, but it wouldn’t have made sense to say Connery wasn’t English.

Just to be precise the “small island group” is known, collectively, as The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Individually you have England, Scotland, Wales (technically a Principality like Monaco) which makes up Great Britain, and Northern Ireland. The Isle of Man and the Channel Islands are not part of Great Britain nor the UK.

Therefore Sean Connery could accurately describe himself as either British or Scottish but NEVER English - and I’m sure that he’d only ever say Scottish.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

chrissie - 29 July 2020 10:28 AM

But that does mean that for the purposes of this thread, apart from suggesting Joe Bloggs that lives down the road that does a little bit of amateur dramatics we need to have a think about unknown actors that turn up in bit parts? Smile

I do think a lot of movies would be improved if what are traditionally thought of as “character” actors were given bigger roles that really suited them, rather than always taking a back seat to big-name actors with box office (and usually sex) appeal. 

Jabod - 29 July 2020 11:09 AM

and I’m sure that he’d only ever say Scottish.

Despite my stumbling over geographical formalities, this was really the point I was trying to get at. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top