• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Beyond a Steel Sky (Beneath a Steel Sky sequel)

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Origami - 22 July 2020 09:40 PM

Cell-shading is not just a style of choice. It helps mask low polygon count and makes it look smoother.

Who said I wanted high polygons and smooth looks? Charles Cecil did, because that’s the style he chose.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

I was just explaining why some developers would opt that style. Telltale games explained they did it because it made the development process easier.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Sure, I’m just saying there are many other ways to do that. They could, for example, have made the sequel in the same style as BASS1.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Luhr28 - 23 July 2020 09:17 PM

Sure, I’m just saying there are many other ways to do that. They could, for example, have made the sequel in the same style as BASS1.

Because modern games with early 90s graphics are in such high demand?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Are ugly, dated late-00s Telltale style graphics in any higher demand?.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Walking Dead seasons sold pretty well.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-10-01

PM

Just finished it. My thoughts:
B+, if you liked the original you will probably like this too.

The game was ok but could have been so much more.
Graphics, pretty spot on. I feel like it is a higher res version of the original.
Controls, clunky at times but not a problem.
Voice acting, for the most part excellent.
Story, good-ish, it mostly hangs together with no great holes. It is quite predictable, cant really think of any parts that made me go “whoah, did not see that coming”..

There are many references to it being 10 years since Foster left the city. Since then Joey has made the city a nice place to be, decided to go walkabout, handed the city over to the council who then managed to make the city a lot worse again. Most of the old tech is replaced and the people in the city seems to have forgotten pretty much everything that was common just a few years earlier.
It just seems so off, maybe a year isn’t what it used to be or its an odd in-joke.
Anyway, if it was 25 years I could sort of buy it.

The puzzles is where the problem is for me.

You will not really need to exercise you brain to much during this game. The puzzles are mostly sequential and logical.

The game will prevent you from leaving an area if you still need to do something. This is obviously needed as there are many locations far apart (otherwise, think of StS3D, a complete nightmare).

This helpful guiding serves to make the already simple problems way to easy.

The biggest offenders are the “hacking” puzzles, there are a lot of them and pretty much all consist of “move one piece of logic to another branch”.

There is a revisit to LINCspace, which is nice. For a few minutes, as the puzzles can hardly be called that.

I could write a lot more about this topic but lets end with the last puzzle of the game.
It consist of several minutes of talking where you have to solve a bunch of pretty much identical problems between the spoken lines.
These problems could be solved by randomly pressing a few buttons.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

I really enjoyed Beyond a Steel Sky! After recently playing The Last of Us Part 2, which was fantastic but very heavy going, it was nice to play a modern - yet in many ways, old-fashioned - adventure game where the protagonist isn’t dealing with personal demons/inner turmoil. This is why I fell in love with the genre in the first place; games like Broken Sword and Grim Fandango, that tell semi-serious stories with a heavy dose of humour.

I also think the move to 3D worked pretty well, but I hope Broken Sword 6 sticks to 2D/2.5D when it eventually arrives. I recently interviewed Charles Cecil about Beyond a Steel Sky (he briefly mentions Broken Sword 6) if anyone fancies a read:

https://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2020/08/03/interview-in-conversation-with-charles-cecil-beyond-a-steel-sky-revolution-software/

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for sharing that interview. I found it to be interesting reading. It may be awhile before Broken Sword 6 arrives, but I also would like to see them stick with 2D/2.5D graphics for that game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2010-12-03

PM

I just finished this and enjoyed it a fair bit. It is, for better and worse, an absolutely traditional adventure game. The puzzle structure. The mildly humorous, slightly-irrelevant dialogue. The clear, broad, plot.

I find it strange that this thread seems particularly negative about how it looks and being in 3d. If there’s anything that stands out about this game it’s the beautiful surroundings of Union City, and the sense of exploring them actively.

It reminded me quite a bit of State of Mind
https://adventuregamers.com/articles/view/35736

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I’m playing this now and I have to say that I’m really impressed. I was pretty skeptical during the initial reveal when it was announced as coming to Apple Arcade first and focusing on what looked like a hacking mini game. But now that I’m over halfway through it, I’m really won over by the humor and the visuals and the puzzles while on the simple side aren’t nearly as bad as I thought they’d be.

I still wish it was point and click rather than direct control, but other than that I don’t really have any complaints. The setting, voice acting, graphics and story are all enjoyable and it’s nice to get a traditional adventure game with such high production values.

It’s probably not as good as the original, but that sets a pretty high bar. That this game exists at all and is good is more than we could have hoped for.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I found a very interesting article on the internet I wanted to share:

https://www.nintendolife.com/features/legendary-designer-charles-cecil-talks-beyond-a-steel-sky-and-switchs-suitability-for-classic-adventure-games

It’s an interesting interview with a Legendary Developer - Charles Cecil and he discusses Beyond a Steel Sky.

At the end of the interview, Cecil did mention they are going to announce a new adventure game. Personally, I’d love for that to be a new Broken Sword game. I can wish, can’t I? Anyway, if not Broken Sword, what then?

Nothing firm on Broken Sword 6 that I can find, only it’s in predevelopment:

https://www.playdiaries.com/ideas-for-broken-sword-6/

walas74 - 30 December 2021 09:47 PM
Fall into Temptress? Wink

I’d love a Lure of the Temptress remake. I’ve not played that game in years. Don’t even have the system I played it on. When I got rid of my Amiga 500, all the games went with it. Some great games like Indy and the Fate of Atlantis gone.

Oh, well……………..at least now I keep classic systems and their games like the PSVITA and the Dangaronpa games that were released on it.

Here is one thing I was wondering - BEYOND A STEEL SKY is a groundbreaking 3D adventure game with rave reviews and awards. Could it’s 3D engine be used to make a Broken Sword game? Or should they stick to the 2D they used in Broken Sword 5?

FYY - My transition to my new hardware (Alienware m17 and Switch OLED) is complete. The games are amazing, I am set for another 6 years, I’m so happy. I’m curious for what hardware will be for sale in 2028 or so, could be interesting…….

So, on which system should I buy Beyond a Steel Sky? PC or Switch?

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Adv_Lvr - 03 January 2022 08:20 PM

Anyway, if not Broken Sword, what then?

In Cold Blood 2: In Even Colder Blood?

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Luhr28 - 03 January 2022 08:28 PM
Adv_Lvr - 03 January 2022 08:20 PM

Anyway, if not Broken Sword, what then?

In Cold Blood 2: In Even Colder Blood?

I actually played In Cold Blood. I thought it was OK. I’d play a sequel. Might be fun. We will see what Revolution has in mind hopefully later this year.

Heart

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2023-10-26

PM

I’ve been playing this game on my switch recently, I must say sadly it is a terrible port with a lot of texture pop in. Aside from that and the slow start, I am really beginning to enjoy this game! Great to see Joey is still rude as all hell, love the hacking mechanic, love that they kept the very Yorkshire accents (I’m from Yorkshire so it is quite a treat to hear someone who sounds like the old farmer who lived down my street as I grew up be inside a video game. I knew people who sounded just like Gilbert Lamb as a kid) and I feel they also nailed a lot of the aesthetic feeling in the environment design.

One small criticism I do have are the controls. My days Foster just likes to ignore my inputs! Not sure if that is just another symptom of a bad switch port, but it can get a bit annoying at times. Another would be totally ignoring that the Android version of Joey that took over Linc was actually called Ken, and that you possess the Joey circuit board in your pocket at the end of the game. Not sure how the circuit board ends up in a museum and how Ken forgets his name. Hopefully the plot explains this.

I’m at the aspiration stage right now, trying to get past the strict cleaning droid! Going to jump back on it tonight and hopefully figure it out!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top