• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Creaks

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Creaks is inspired by phenomenon called Pareidolia*.Player has to avoid these monsters and solve puzzles in order to advance through the game.Puzzles are based on work with light and logical thinking. Enemies usually turn into furniture when on light. Player has to use this while solving puzzles as enemy turned in furniture can be used to get in otherwise unaccessible area. Also different types of enemies act differently.Shadow for example copies players movement while dog instantly attacks him.

*Pareidolia is the tendency for incorrect perception of a stimulus as an object, pattern or meaning known to the observer, such as seeing shapes in clouds, seeing faces in inanimate objects or abstract patterns, or hearing hidden messages in music.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i wonder how these mechanics would work, very interesting! looking forward to trying it soon, too many titles on my waiting list.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

This game looks like Candle with the dark/light mechanics. I enjoyed that game.

If anyone has played it, please tell how us creepy you found it. The review doesn’t reveal much, even calling it a children’s tale at some point, which it’s clearly not judging by the screens. Children’s tales aren’t acid trips.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

My platforming is not what it used to be in the days of Prince of Persia I and II. And now I noticed for the first time that it says “best enjoyed with a controller”. I don’t have a controller. I could buy one, I suppose. And then I would have to get used to it. Sigh. Playing games should not feel like a chore.

I’ll still buy Creaks. But I expect it will go the way of Outer Wilds.  Cry

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Day one purchase for me. That art style and atmosphere are *chef’s kiss”
This might be the best-looking Amanita game yet.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Played for 30 minutes and enjoying it. So far no platforming at all, just puzzles and a little timing.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Karlok - 22 July 2020 08:29 AM

My platforming is not what it used to be in the days of Prince of Persia I and II. And now I noticed for the first time that it says “best enjoyed with a controller”. I don’t have a controller. I could buy one, I suppose. And then I would have to get used to it. Sigh. Playing games should not feel like a chore.

Controllers are more natural for this sort of game, but there’s really nothing at all platformy about Creaks, other than the existence of actual platforms. There are timed elements, sure, but there’s really no twitch-based gameplay, no free jumping, and all the movement is purely north/south/east/west, usually at your leisure. It’s all about solving puzzles. No reason at all that it couldn’t be played comfortably with a keyboard.

EDIT: Whoops, too late by a hair. Well, now you know! Tongue And the same thing applies all the way through to the end.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jackal - 22 July 2020 01:40 PM
Karlok - 22 July 2020 08:29 AM

Controllers are more natural for this sort of game, but there’s really nothing at all platformy about Creaks, other than the existence of actual platforms. There are timed elements, sure, but there’s really no twitch-based gameplay, no free jumping, and all the movement is purely north/south/east/west, usually at your leisure. It’s all about solving puzzles. No reason at all that it couldn’t be played comfortably with a keyboard.

EDIT: Whoops, too late by a hair. Well, now you know! Tongue And the same thing applies all the way through to the end.

Good to know that it applies all the way. The first thing you see in the AG review: Amanita’s latest is a beautifully textured, cleverly layered puzzle-platformer that never strains under the weight of its abundant creativity. You might want to change the words puzzle-platformer.

EDIT: Or maybe I’m the only one confused by those words… Shifty Eyed  I looked it up and apparently it doesn’t automatically mean jumping etc.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I debated whether we should use that phrase in the review for exactly that reason, but yeah, like all definitions, the one for puzzle-platformer is already broadening to include a more leisurely branch. But Creaks is definitely a puzzler with platforms rather that a platformer with puzzles.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Was excited about this until i played it. Yeah it looks good like any other amanita game but then the gameplay started.
First of all you cannot play with the mouse,and that controller recommended sign at the start of the game that i hate to see in a pc game.

Then the first minutes of the game all you are doing is climbing some ladders. Really? From the amazing Machinarium to climbing ladders for the first 10 min of the game(stopped there it may go even longer).
Also i am not sure but it seems it will have no inventory either.
Seems to me it is meant for a more casual gamers than what i am used from Amanita.
I will finish it at some point because it still is Amanita game and it must have some good points but the first impression is that it is just your average platformer with Amanita style visuals.

Again, this is just my first impression, so i hope the game proves me wrong.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

More like an average puzzler. I think I played about 1/2 of the game (judging by the youtube walkthroughs), to the point when the hero receives a little gizmo for turning lights on and off and then witnesses a scene with a huge hand stealing some sacred book from a bunch of crazy birds, and got bored.

The whole game is built around one simple concept, and hardly an original one. Same pattern is repeated again and again with little variety, endless ladders make it feel like some Lode Runner clone, and those few obstacles added from time to time are of traditional sort - switches/slabs/moving crates (furniture in this case). There are only two types of “monsters” at this point with very linear, primitive behavior - monsters from the Oddworld platform games from the mid-1990s feel like advanced AI in comparison.

There are also short and very similar cutscenes which happen now and then and don’t really tell any story or influence anything. The only thing that kept me playing was Amanita’s beautiful art design, but the game world is too bleak and unimaginative. That’s a shame, I was expecting something really grand and unique after Chuchel.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Doom - 23 July 2020 03:03 PM

More like an average puzzler. I think I played about 1/2 of the game (judging by the youtube walkthroughs), to the point when the hero receives a little gizmo for turning lights on and off and then witnesses a scene with a huge hand stealing some sacred book from a bunch of crazy birds, and got bored.

The whole game is built around one simple concept, and hardly an original one. Same pattern is repeated again and again with little variety, endless ladders make it feel like some Lode Runner clone, and those few obstacles added from time to time are of traditional sort - switches/slabs/moving crates (furniture in this case). There are only two types of “monsters” at this point with very linear, primitive behavior - monsters from the Oddworld platform games from the mid-1990s feel like advanced AI in comparison.

There are also short and very similar cutscenes which happen now and then and don’t really tell any story or influence anything. The only thing that kept me playing was Amanita’s beautiful art design, but the game world is too bleak and unimaginative. That’s a shame, I was expecting something really grand and unique after Chuchel.

I had a feeling this might have been the case. The conversion from point-and-click to direct control has some drawbacks, and the amazing animations and events from clicking at random in previous Amanita games was always going to take a hit when you are limited to moving in four directions and a “use” button.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I have to agree.  Frown  I still like the game, lovely graphics and music, but after a while it becomes monotonous. Not enough variation in environment and puzzles. I’ll do only a few puzzles a day, that way I won’t get bored. 

Their short game Pilgrims was not great either. The puzzles were extremely simple, in the paper-door-pencil-key category.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Gave up after a second time i got a black screen and game freeze while loading new screen, which made me have to restart my pc. Was playing the game just to finish it anyways so why force myself when i have other games to play.
Worse game in Amanita catalogue by far.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Finished it. The puzzles gradually got more difficult and therefore more interesting. The many weird paintings left me cold, but that may be just me. Graphics, animations, music all great. Still, it’s no Machinarium. Three stars from me, maybe 3.5 in a generous mood.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top