• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Games you wish were remade

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Try to find a better or more profilic actor that is willing to shoot scenes worth of 3 to 4 full feature movies lengthwise against a modest budget. Supposedly Dean Erickson spent a few months acting for around 18 hrs a day with a max of 2 takes for each shot.
You can’t compare that to a ‘normal’ production where actors are allowed a dozen takes for each scene and much more time inbetween shots to prepare for.
I think Dean Erickson did pretty good considering the circumstances.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I Dean Erickson did a pretty good job too.  Considering the budget they had, they made a pretty good game. It is still one that I play once in a while.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Ok, c’mon, Erickson was pretty bad, with his stupid smile and no acting skills whatsoever. I agree that he tried his best, especially considering he was not a professional actor and he spent endless hours filming the whole damn thing. But he is no match for Tim Currey, or Peter Lucas, or Chris Jones as Tex Murphy. Same could be said about the actress who played Grace - that horrible dispute between her and Gerde was unbearable. And that’s our two protagonists.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

No one said there weren’t better actors in FMV games than Dean Erickson - there have been plenty, but the point is that the game didn’t suffer because of this, and at the end of the day - it was a proper adventure game unlike many interactive movies at the time, so the acting was of a less importance.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do agree that GK2 didn’t suffer as a game because of Ericson and that’s why I don’t see a reason for it to be remade by shooting the FMV bits again. If it is ever remastered, and that is a big if, the best solution would be to attempt retouching it with neural network upscalers. The progress there is already looking promising on video as well.

For example, here’s a remastered version of Deep Space 9 intro done with neural networks:

Keep in mind, there’s no better than TV-quality versions of DS9, as that was the quality the special effects were done for it. It isn’t perfect, as there are some distortions here and there thanks the upscaling not being sure what it was trying to scale, but all in all, this might soon be a viable option. 

And here are some bits with a comparison:

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Veovis - 17 January 2020 03:39 AM

The game I always think of first everytime this discussion comes up is Realms of the Haunting. Would love to play that one with a modern interface and updated graphics.

I just played Realms of the Haunting for the first time recently and I thought it was fantastic just as it is.  That said… I’d definitely play a remake if one existed.  For many of the areas the graphics honestly didn’t look very dated because the art design was so good (I thought this about Tex Murphy and the Pandora Directive as well).

But there were a few areas in Realms of the Haunting when you start to get into the otherworldly dimensions that could have used better art direction or graphics or both (e.g. Arqua). 

It’s a very unique blend of first person shooter, adventure with inventory-based puzzles, and FMV game.  I’m not sure I can think of any other game quite like it really…  Plus I really liked how it was a first person game but you still had two characters who could talk about the items in their inventory, the lore they’d uncovered, and the question of what to do next (sort of like Arthur in the Journeyman Project games I guess… but that’s all one-way conversation since Gage Blackwood is silent while you’re playing). 

SpeedBo - 22 January 2020 04:22 PM

I think Myst is due for a remake.

Umm…  Myst has been remade as least 3 times already.  What Myst really needs is a spin-off unrelated to the story and characters of the existing games.  A “reboot” of sorts would probably bring in a lot of new players. 

I think the only reason Riven has never been remade is because the art assets were made in an old workstation format that nobodies knows how to open anymore?  Anyway… there is a fan remake of Riven (Starry Expanse) being worked on by attempting to completely recreate the graphics from the ground up.  Needless to say, don’t expect it to be finished anytime soon.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2020-02-02

PM

I’d like some games to be demade - gimme earlier SCI versions of Police Quest 3 and 4 for example. Gotta have that parser!

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

russ869 - 02 February 2020 01:14 AM

Umm…  Myst has been remade as least 3 times already.  What Myst really needs is a spin-off unrelated to the story and characters of the existing games.  A “reboot” of sorts would probably bring in a lot of new players.

You mean like Obduction?

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, but I was just being sarcastic.

Anyway… there is a fan remake of Riven (Starry Expanse) being worked on by attempting to completely recreate the graphics from the ground up.  Needless to say, don’t expect it to be finished anytime soon.

Thanks for bringing that up, I haven’t checked up on it in a long time.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

cyfoyjvx - 02 February 2020 04:53 AM

You mean like Obduction?

I don’t consider Obduction a spin-off to the Myst games. A spin-off would be a game in the Myst universe not revolving around Atrus and his family. I liked Obduction, but after having played it twice I feel that if I never again see one of those warp devices it will be too soon. Bring back the books!:)

@russ869: Those screenshots makes me want to play RotH again! One of the best games ever. But again, a modern interface wouldn’t hurt.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomakasatnav - 02 February 2020 02:48 AM

I’d like some games to be demade - gimme earlier SCI versions of Police Quest 3 and 4 for example. Gotta have that parser!

Couldn’t agree more .. BTW i love your Hutton Grammer School, it is an absolute throwback to Sierra SQ’s Gary Own’s commentary style.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Just for the heck of it, I did a quick Gigapixel upscale test with Zork Grand Inquisitor FMV. I do think the result could be a bit better than this, but that would probably require some heavier frame by frame fine-tuning and Gigapixels current video upscale is still in beta.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2020-02-02

PM

Advie - 02 February 2020 11:01 AM
tomakasatnav - 02 February 2020 02:48 AM

Couldn’t agree more .. BTW i love your Hutton Grammer School, it is an absolute throwback to Sierra SQ’s Gary Own’s commentary style.

Thanks! Will get around to making another one of these days.

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Veovis - 02 February 2020 09:41 AM

I just played Realms of the Haunting for the first time recently and I thought it was fantastic just as it is.  For many of the areas the graphics honestly didn’t look very dated because the art design was so good (I thought this about Tex Murphy and the Pandora Directive as well).

It’s a very unique blend of first person shooter, adventure with inventory-based puzzles, and FMV game.  I’m not sure I can think of any other game quite like it really…

@russ869: Those screenshots makes me want to play RotH again! One of the best games ever. But again, a modern interface wouldn’t hurt.

I’m playing Lands of Lore 2 right now, and realized it is sort of similar to Realms of the Haunting in some respects.  Part first person hack-and-slash RPG, part point-and-click adventure with inventory-based puzzles, and part FMV game. 

Lands of Lore games also have an extremely impressive level of immersion detail that is pretty much unparalleled even in modern games.  For examples the first Lands of Lore game gives you the choice of 4 different playable characters and most of the NPCs have unique dialogue depending on which main character you are playing as.  In other words there is a lot of fully voiced dialogue that most players will never hear unless they replay the game multiple times. 

Lands of Lore 2 only has one playable character but a lot more options have been put into player choice.  For example you can solve problems in a multiple ways.  Like defeating soldiers by figuring out a way to break the rope bridge they are standing on instead of through combat.  If you want to be evil (which isn’t unfitting seeing as how your character is the son of the previous game’s villain) you can kill almost every NPC in the game without getting a Game Over.  Even if they are important characters to the quest.  The game is well designed enough that you can find another way to advance the plot even without them.  That’s incredible.  And the real kicker is that all NPC conversations are FMVs.  That means at anytime during the FMV you can decide you’re fed up with hearing them and press the attack button to kill them literally mid-sentence!  I’ve never seen anything like that before.  It never gets old.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Thanks for the heads up russ869! May have to try one of those games someday.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top