• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why are adventure games so unchristian?

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Vehelon - 11 November 2019 12:20 AM
MoonBird - 10 November 2019 10:00 AM

I do believe that evil forces are true, and they really do exist.

But Jesus didn’t believe this, otherwise he would not have been able to resurrect. A Christian would believe that there is only Christ, Son of God, and no other. God creating evil forces which are totally against the nature of God makes no sense.

That doesn’t work as “God” did create evil as Lucifer, one of the most beautiful of “God’s” Angels, rebelled against his maker simply because he wanted to be as powerful and thus became “the fallen”:
Isaiah 14:12 (the Christian Bible) describes Lucifer’s fall: “How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!”.

Ergo, it could be rightly said that the Christian “God” created the very things that MoonBird doesn’t like. I don’t criticise him/her for disliking but they should acknowledge it is all part of the faith. Well, not Voodoo, as that’s a religion in its own right, as you could say Satanism is as well.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Jabod - 11 November 2019 06:47 AM
Vehelon - 11 November 2019 12:20 AM
MoonBird - 10 November 2019 10:00 AM

I do believe that evil forces are true, and they really do exist.

But Jesus didn’t believe this, otherwise he would not have been able to resurrect. A Christian would believe that there is only Christ, Son of God, and no other. God creating evil forces which are totally against the nature of God makes no sense.

That doesn’t work as “God” did create evil as Lucifer, one of the most beautiful of “God’s” Angels, rebelled against his maker simply because he wanted to be as powerful and thus became “the fallen”:
Isaiah 14:12 (the Christian Bible) describes Lucifer’s fall: “How you have fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!”.

Ergo, it could be rightly said that the Christian “God” created the very things that MoonBird doesn’t like. I don’t criticise him/her for disliking but they should acknowledge it is all part of the faith. Well, not Voodoo, as that’s a religion in its own right, as you could say Satanism is as well.

Isaiah is part of the old testament. Jesus didn’t say those words so we can’t really call them “Christian”. It would be similar to quoting something from the Koran and using it as evidence for evil.

The whole notion of Christ is that one cannot really “fall”. To us, there appears to be a “fall”, as described in Genesis, but it never really happened. We are all one in Christ. Jesus was merely one who knew this, and Christianity encourages us to do the same, and to see him as the Way, the Truth and the Life.

And even if we accept the story of Lucifer, he still had no power to change what God created - whatever “evil” was in Lucifer wasn’t real. We can however believe it is real, because of our nature as God’s creation in His image, with free will, which includes Lucifer’s decision to rebel. If Lucifer could become evil then that would mean we could create ourselves, but God created us as we are and not however we might wish to be.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Vehelon - 11 November 2019 06:15 PM

Isaiah is part of the old testament. Jesus didn’t say those words so we can’t really call them “Christian”. It would be similar to quoting something from the Koran and using it as evidence for evil.

The whole notion of Christ is that one cannot really “fall”. To us, there appears to be a “fall”, as described in Genesis, but it never really happened. We are all one in Christ. Jesus was merely one who knew this, and Christianity encourages us to do the same, and to see him as the Way, the Truth and the Life.

Except of course there are mentions of the Fall in the New Testament. From Luke Chapter 10 (Christ sending out the 70 Disciples).

Verse17:
“And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord even the devils are subject to us through thy name.”

Verse 18:
“And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from Heaven.”

There’s also this chunk from Revelations, Chapter 12, Verses 7-9:
“And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon The dragon and his angels waged war, and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven. And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.”

There’s other bits in Matthew and Peter as well and quite possibly others given how there was a fair amount of duplication between the Gospels.

(Edited to add that I know Peter is not one of the Gospels. I was only referring to Matthew there but the grammar wasn’t exactly stellar Mini Frown )

And coming back on topic Smile

There could be quite an adventure game lurking here following the travails of good versus evil although tracking the discrepancies between Old and New Testaments would be difficult particularly when relating it to archeology, paleontology etc. although it could be argued that adventure games tend to do that already with good invariably winning. In fact, is there any adventure game where evil essentially wins?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jabod - 12 November 2019 06:29 AM

....... is there any adventure game where evil essentially wins?

Lucius?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

In fact, is there any adventure game where evil essentially wins?

Outpost 13.
Although technically speaking that game was never completed, so we may never know the true ending.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

chrissie - 12 November 2019 06:43 AM

....... is there any adventure game where evil essentially wins?

Lucius?

Should have thought of that one although I’ve never played it as it doesn’t appeal at all.

GateKeeper - 12 November 2019 06:54 AM

Outpost 13.
Although technically speaking that game was never completed, so we may never know the true ending.

Not heard of that one,which is not surprising under the circumstances Smile
I shall look up what is known about it.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Also Simon the Sorcerer 2.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Simon the Sorcerer 2 is more of a ‘to be continued’, though, like The Empire Strikes Back. It’s not ‘this is the end of the story and Evil won’.

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

I find that games that use religious elements are usually ‘twisting’ those elements into something that ends up only representing a veneer of the original. Because so many people who play Adventure Games are quite familiar with Judaeo-Christian mythology it can be a LOT harder to alter those things to fit a story.

Nobody is going to ponder if the history of a particular element of Voodoo is being represented properly, but if a game mentioned that the crucifixion happened 4000 years ago, people would notice.

I’ve also found that games that lean into religious symbolism are trying to create a sense of mystery, or even horror, around it. To go with something more unfamiliar is a much more direct path to creating mystery.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

You could try Frogware’s Sherlock Holmes games. Most of them are about mundane things, except The Awakened (that one is about Cthulhu). Also MDNA’s Carol Reed games are probably up your street. And maybe the Tex Murphy games, although some of them deal with aliens and weird science. Anyway, check them out if you haven’t already.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2005-01-25

PM

MoonBird - 09 November 2019 12:27 AM

Is it some kind of unwritten law, that there has to be either voodoo, cults, black magic, ghosts, zombies, demons or fortune telling in every single game? Now, i’m a christian person, and I try to live my life like one should. But i’m also adventure game lover. It seems to be a really hard mix.

I’m always curious about Christians who cannot accept elements such as these in stories. Have you read the Bible?! Cults of pagan gods, black magic, ghosts, demons, monsters, fortune telling… I can’t think of any zombies (if we’re not counting a certain guy from Nazareth), but otherwise it’s all in The Good Book, along with more genocide, murder, torture and rape than just about any modern piece of entertainment you could name.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top