• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why can’t RPGs and other genres be more like AGs???

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BitingWit - 14 January 2017 08:39 PM

Every situation is different and new. I don’t think that is possible with RPG where they want to allow you to choose how to approach each situation.

It happened in Cage and TTG but not much in others
Tell me AGs which have multiple solutions to one problem
In DeusEx old and new you have multiple solutions to quest
Yes lockpick/hack
Go through vent
Through sewers
Use stealth
Use weapons
Use charisma or negotiations

Alpha protocol, Skyrim, Witcher3, Bloodlines, Torment etc
All had multiple solutions to many many quests, resulting in different endings

multiple ways is basic for RPGs, tailor made experiences which start from character creation to dealing with quests etc

Here,

Enjoy!!!

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Eyes on “No Truce with the Furies"sometime this year. A mystery RPG where all combat is done in the dialogue. Sounds interesting and very innovative. Inspirations are “Planescape: Torment” and “Kentucky Route Zero”.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

nomadsoul - 15 January 2017 10:45 AM
BitingWit - 14 January 2017 08:39 PM

Every situation is different and new. I don’t think that is possible with RPG where they want to allow you to choose how to approach each situation.

It happened in Cage and TTG but not much in others
Tell me AGs which have multiple solutions to one problem
In DeusEx old and new you have multiple solutions to quest
Yes lockpick/hack
Go through vent
Through sewers
Use stealth
Use weapons
Use charisma or negotiations

Alpha protocol, Skyrim, Witcher3, Bloodlines, Torment etc
All had multiple solutions to many many quests, resulting in different endings

multiple ways is basic for RPGs, tailor made experiences which start from character creation to dealing with quests etc

Here,

Enjoy!!!

Apologies, I think you misunderstood my comment. What I meant that the choice factor in RPGs means that they cannot feature unique situations like adventure games can. When you have a “stealth” skill then the solution to opening a locked door cannot be one to feature creative thinking. The answer is always simply to get more “stealth” by leveling up.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BitingWit - 15 January 2017 11:08 AM

Apologies, I think you misunderstood my comment. What I meant that the choice factor in RPGs means that they cannot feature unique situations like adventure games can. When you have a “stealth” skill then the solution to opening a locked door cannot be one to feature creative thinking. The answer is always simply to get more “stealth” by leveling up.

Always??
In recent DeusEx i can bribe guards to pass, hack my way in without mods
Use mods to hack the cameras
OR use raw stealth without using Camo to bypass guards
Even if you have mods, you have to explore a lot to find the workaround

Its not cut and dry as more stealth points/xp

AGs are way more linear and directed
If we are lucky we can get proper interesting Inventory puzzles, let alone more than one solution or creative thinking to solve them

RPGs give choices to tailor your style, at times you invest in skill which is useless
for quest, so it requires more creative ways and have to stick with your wrong decisions

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Just bringing back this interesting thread to note the release of probably the most “adventure” rpg I can think of (think Planescape Torment).

So far I’ve only saw a couple of reviews but everywhere I look it seems mindblowing. Anyone tried it yet?

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Disco Elysium does sound and look interesting title. I’ll definitely get it at some point.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Yeah, Disco Elysium looks to be the birth of a new sub-genre of adventure games. Really interesting.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

It does look fantastic - I have it wishlisted but no rush to buy it, I wouldn’t have time to play it anytime soon anyway so may as well wait for sales.

Of course there’s also the ‘official’ Torment follow-up (which I still haven’t had time to play, though the map has been up on my wall for some time now) - anyone played that?
https://tormentgame.com/

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Phlebas - 22 October 2019 09:03 AM

Of course there’s also the ‘official’ Torment follow-up (which I still haven’t had time to play, though the map has been up on my wall for some time now) - anyone played that?

I still haven’t tried it but the overall reviews and impressions around the web are kind of mediocre.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Phlebas - 22 October 2019 09:03 AM

It is a poor game that becomes tedious very quickly. It lets you skip fights and talk your way out of situations, and this only shows how a liberal approach could ruin the gameplay. Now Disco Elysium sounds like it could be fun.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Played Disco Elysium for several hours, and I can already tell there is a great game ahead. The devs really broke the boundaries between two genres this time, the game could be easily claimed by both camps - there is no fighting, only exploration, so I hope AG will step in before it becomes “an RPG thing”. The game is similar to Torment in a way that it’s very heavy on text. But unlike the - horribly written - Torment the dialogues are actually very good and very funny. In fact the quality of writing reminds me of Arcanum or Anachronox - it’s that oldschool goodness. The protagonist is a self-proclaimed hobocop with no memory, he is open to everything and can become anyone, from a liberal communist to a feminist fascist. The experience system seems a bit simplified and also similar to Torment, but not quite. There are just too many interesting choices and laugh-out-loud moments to be bothered.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top