• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Art of Point + Click Adventures book

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Think there might be interest in this

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/the-art-of-point-click-adventure-games

A visual celebration of one of the most loved genres in gaming history, The Art of Point + Click Adventure Games will be a sumptuous 400 page, cloth-bound coffee table book packed with the very best pixel art and classic scenes from the most defining games of this genre (three-headed monkeys may also feature). It will also contain extensive and exclusive interviews with the key developers, designers and artists behind some of the most beloved games and characters in the history of the medium.

Coming Summer 2018

Are there other books like this?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There is The Guide to Classic Graphical Adventures from Hardcore Gamer 101:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Hardcoregaming101-net-Presents-Classic-Graphic-Adventures-ebook/dp/B005231248

It’s comprehensive but I wasn’t keen on the editorial style. From memory, the author loves LucasArts and everyone else falls short to him and we need to know this apparently.

Bitmap Books are a good publisher though. It released a 2-volume history on Gremlin Interactive that delved into incredible depth. Really fascinating!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Sadly enough they seem to be using the actual pixel art from the games, not, like in the case of Monkey Island 2, the original paintings the background art was originally done as.

Personally, I’m more interested in seeing the actual paintings, design and concept art rather than the actual game itself, as if I want to see the game graphics I can always play the game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

its great to not even see games from Classic old devs, but the tradition of publishing book about the genre went live gain as the old days

i really REALLY wonder how are we gonna look at this decade 5-6 years from now??!!

thejobloshow - 28 January 2018 03:11 PM

It’s comprehensive but I wasn’t keen on the editorial style. From memory, the author loves LucasArts and everyone else falls short to him and we need to know this apparently.

its always been Lucas taking the media or to be precise the articles favurs.
i remember like when Schafer less than a year ago was talking about when he met R.W they teased each other joking, about their two companies, Sierra in a side selling one million of copies per game1995, but Lucasart selling 1/3 of that number but has much much more positive and praising articles, reviews about the company and their games Smile

and that proves that all the box office booming numbers and hassle in future won’t mean a thing, its only great art that lives forever. PKD was always attacked by books magazine, Angel-Heart was a failure, Blade Runner too, ... and so on.

and what is remembered of 60 adventure of Sierra games are not more than 6-8 long living

we need to stop putting art in that failure phrase because it did not get enough money

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

thejobloshow - 28 January 2018 03:11 PM

There is The Guide to Classic Graphical Adventures from Hardcore Gamer 101:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Hardcoregaming101-net-Presents-Classic-Graphic-Adventures-ebook/dp/B005231248

Looks like a good list/guide for adventures but not very different from the content of the the site. Not to keen on the black and white print.

Concerning the history of the genre, are there good books or sources that go in-depth about the companies? Like Sierra (On-Line Systems) chapters on the Hackers book, but that ends before Kings Quest is released.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

tomimt - 28 January 2018 03:34 PM

Sadly enough they seem to be using the actual pixel art from the games, not, like in the case of Monkey Island 2, the original paintings the background art was originally done as.

Personally, I’m more interested in seeing the actual paintings, design and concept art rather than the actual game itself, as if I want to see the game graphics I can always play the game.

There was a LucasArts art book from 2008 that delved a little into the glory days before the 2000s. It had a bit of concept art but it’s out of print now.

https://www.amazon.com/Rogue-Leaders-LucasArts-Rob-Smith/dp/0811861848/

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m always hoping there’d be something like the Legend of Zelda: Art and Artifacts or the Art of Atari-style of books published about adventure game companies.

There was an art book in the works years back that was meant to have a lot of original art from the Sierra games in it, including paintings, sketches and whatnot, but sadly enough it seems the project hasn’t really rolled forward. They already had collected a lot of art for it, but for some reason, it’s just at a standstill.

I do know, that Revolution did make one book about Broken Sword series, but that one is also pretty expensive.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

calims

Many years ago, probably more than 10 and perhaps as many as 15 years ago, a project called “Art of Sierra” (an art book/preservation project) was announced. They collected contact info and I think made a list of interested people and promised to keep us informed about their progress. I saw a few promotional notices after that, but never heard about a finished book. We posted a question to the FB contact for that project but didn’t receive a response.

more and more claims about thus book original manuscript belonged to Sierra.

s that the same thing? Did Art of Sierra morph into a project for general P&C art? I would buy a collectors’ edition Sierra art book and also like Sierra art collection sites. Supposedly the Art of Sierra people solicited and received original materials from Sierra company veterans. What happened to all the artworks that Sierra artists were sending to the Art of Sierra people? What’s the point in hoarding materials in the name of preservation if they aren’t letting other people see them, especially after such a long wait? One needs only to look at the amazing Sierra Chest site to see that it is possible to actually publish material in a timely fashion and not keep everyone waiting year after year after year.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Greetings, all. I don’t speak up here very often, but this thread caught my eye because I was just interviewed for the Art of Point & Click Adventures book.

I wanted to mention that the Art of Sierra people, as far as I know, are not holding on to any artwork. I assume that they’ve done the same for other people as they’ve done for me: pay for my original Sierra artwork to be shipped to them, scan them at an extremely high resolution, and then ship them all back.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Matt Barton (aka Matt Chat) has been making great video interviews with game devs for years, including adventure devs - from Scott Adams and Dave Marsh to Josho and the Coles to Dave Gilbert and Jonas Kyratzes. No idea why they are getting so little views, they are some of the most informative interviews regarding gaming past and present. He also wrote several books on video games, but nothing on ags yet.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I wonder if there’s some sort of copyright issue with the Art of Sierra book that is preventing it from being released.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

tomimt - 28 January 2018 03:34 PM

Well this book is coming from a publisher that is famous for its visual compendium series, so it’s probably mostly screenshots, although compendium books have also contained a small selection of other game arts, like design papers, demos and game covers, and actual hardware pictures.

I’m excited about this one, if memory serves, I even suggested this idea to them in the past.  Smile

Does anyone know if this is going to be a new addition to compendium series or a separate thing? Are they going to do another Kickstarter for this?

Total Posts: 60

Joined 2017-08-22

PM

This looks really neat, will probably pick it up

I make stuff:
twitter @Mammothtree

and scream loudly:
https://signorojo.bandcamp.com/

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

The pre-orders went live today :-)

https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/collections/all/products/the-art-of-point-click-adventure-games

We’ve partnered up with Bitmap Books, to bring you this gorgeous book!

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

This looks beautiful. Makes me want to replay/finish so many old adventure games.

Defo going on the wishlist. Grin

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2012-05-22

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top