• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady KestrelTimovieManwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-06-28

PM

Advie - 28 June 2017 11:54 AM
ElifK - 28 June 2017 11:41 AM

I knew the right answer to solve the situation but didn’t want to click on it. Really nice job, I kept saying `I can’t say that, that is horrible.` I’m not that sensitive but telling a kid she is dead is not an easy job and the character seemed to feel the same, too. Well done indeed.  Laughing

well isn’t this the mother of all enjoyment and being drawn into the story and the game play . lucky you Tongue

It certainly is! Laughing I’m going full Wadjet Eye now, moving them up on my list. Wink

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I recently completed Gray Matter within only 3 years of starting it.

It feels like one of the last big-budget games with (mostly) very polished graphics and animations, superb voice acting and plenty of pretty intricate gameplay.

The storyline is compelling, though I felt a little unfulfilled in the end. I was left wanting more of the Gray Matter universe.

I really wish the Kickstarter than Jensen did had ended up being Gray Matter 2 instead of Mobius, which I believe was voted for by fans.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

dumbeur - 06 July 2017 10:02 AM

I really wish the Kickstarter than Jensen did had ended up being Gray Matter 2 instead of Mobius, which I believe was voted for by fans.

It could have been worse - it sounded as though the project she really wanted to do was Anglophile Adventure, which just looked painful.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I hadn’t heard of that option and haven’t played Moebius yet, so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Might play that next; even mediocre Jensen is still Jensen.

Total Posts: 82

Joined 2016-09-11

PM

dumbeur - 07 July 2017 07:49 AM

I hadn’t heard of that option and haven’t played Moebius yet, so maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

I enjoyed Moebius but I had to look past some ridiculous concepts and sexism from Jane Jensen to do so. Moebius is irritating at first too. But it does have some interesting puzzle innovations, which I enjoyed

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller is the gem in the crown that Jensen was involved in. Very dramatic, great narative and characters and plenty of plot twists.

Both games can be had for cheap as chips in key reseller sites if you’re on a budget.

I have started Grey Matter but have dropped it for now and haven’t got too far.

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Supplementman - 07 July 2017 04:21 PM

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller is the gem in the crown that Jensen was involved in. Very dramatic, great narative and characters and plenty of plot twists.

I would have loved this to be true as I received the game in the giveaway thread for free and promised to write about it. Unforunately I have trouble continuing the series after 2 episodes. There are plot twists and plenty of drama, but the writing is immature and characters not at all as fleshed out or interesting as Jensen’s. It is kind of like a superhero comic book (which I am not into at all) so maybe people who like that will enjoy it more than I have.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Supplementman - 07 July 2017 04:21 PM
dumbeur - 07 July 2017 07:49 AM

I enjoyed Moebius but I had to look past some ridiculous concepts and sexism from Jane Jensen to do so. Moebius is irritating at first too. But it does have some interesting puzzle innovations, which I enjoyed

Both games can be had for cheap as chips in key reseller sites if you’re on a budget.

I have started Grey Matter but have dropped it for now and haven’t got too far.

I’m ~25% through Moebius and really enjoying it; not seeing the sexism yet unless it’s that all of the important characters so far are men.

I loved Cognition too, in spite of some less-than-perfect animations.

I’ve never looked at a key reseller site before; are sites like G2A legit/fair to the devs?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-07-08

PM

Thimbleweed Park , possibly the best adventure game made in the last decade. To me it came really close to the quality of Day of the Tentacle. It kinda brought modern design to an old style adventure game and it is very well done. I tried to get get through Syberia 3 but it has been a slog , I could barely get through the first 10 minutes, no wonder it is getting all the bad reviews.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I seem to have enjoyed Moebius: Empire Rising far more than most.

Perhaps it doesn’t say good things about me that I quite liked the main character. Tongue

Most of the sexism is through the eyes of this misanthropic snob and takes a dim view of both sexes so I didn’t have an issue with it.  It’s just a very cynical world-view.

The plot gets pretty ridiculous and the puzzles are not challenging enough but it’s an enjoyable ride.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

dumbeur - 11 July 2017 06:48 PM

I seem to have enjoyed Moebius: Empire Rising far more than most.

There was clearly lots of potential behind that game. Phoenix Online was promising new studio and it`s sad that they dont seem to be intrested to make new adventure games anymore.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Aye, I’ve liked/loved everything they’ve done (that I’ve had a chance to play).

Pinkerton/Jensen also a big loss.  Hopefully her books profit enough for her to return to her passion for adventure games some day.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Just finished “Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture” for the second time.  I’d seen a take on something that happened in the game and didn’t remember it.  I’d have liked to just use a save to get to that section of the game but EGTR only had an automatic save, so when you got to the end that was it.  You had to replay the whole game to find what you were looking for.

I didn’t much mind though because just like the first time it had me hooked from the beginning.  I used the opportunity to explore other places I’d ignored before and got lost several times in the woods.  It was fun.  Yes, they were right.  I found the place they mentioned and it cast a different light on one of the characters.

Great game.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

(Wow, that got much longer than expected! Sorry…)

Finished replaying all five games of the Blackwell series in a row. First time I’d ever replayed any of them. I’ll have some game-specific comments, but first a few general remarks gripes:

1) AGS is shitty, shitty software that should never have been used for anything more ambitious than 3-room amateur games. That thing needs to die.

2) Are there no older actors in New York? The voice acting is generally pretty good, but it’s always jarring whenever you have 30-somethings trying to sound like elderly characters.

3) Am I the only one who wishes the games had just been numbered? I kept having to go online just to figure out which episode was next.

Anyway, the games:

The Blackwell Legacy: This feels a lot like the pilot to a TV show, with the same problems as many pilots: it tries to introduce the world and characters and present a typical case of the week in a compressed time, and ends up not doing either particularly well. The graphics are not great, neither is the soundtrack. The puzzles are fine (with a couple of dodgy exceptions) but never particularly clever or interesting.

All in all, this feels like your typical, mediocre freeware AGS game from the early 2000s. The series definitely got better afterwards. 2.5/5

Blackwell Unbound: This was originally supposed to just be a flashback in the next game, and frankly it probably should have been. In retrospect, the events in Unbound are pretty important to Convergence (and the series overall), but when playing the game on its own, it all feels pretty limp. This game exists solely to introduce the Countess, but the ghosts that you actually spend most of the game investigating never feel particularly interesting. (I replayed the game less than a week ago and took me half a minute to even remember who they were!)

The graphics still suck, the puzzles are still meh, but at least the series has now found its composer, Thomas Regin, whose jazzy soundtrack does so much to set the tone. And Lauren is a lot more fun than Rosa ever will be. 2.5/5

The Blackwell Convergence: Now we’re getting somewhere! This one has a much more interesting story, stronger characters, gorgeous graphics (by far the best in the series), and the puzzles finally get more clever, especially those that require teamwork between Joey and Rosa. The end gets a bit weird and handwavingy, but that’s OK.

If the first two games were all that was in the series, I wouldn’t really recommend them to anyone. But Convergence is more than good enough to justify playing them. 3.5/5

The Blackwell Deception: Probably my favourite of the bunch. The graphics take a big step backward, but everything else shines. Memorable story with touching characters(*), some brilliant puzzles, a great soundtrack, and a memorable conclusion. That was great. 4/5

(*) Did the series really need four episodes to figure out that death was a theme that lent itself well to emotional stories? I think the biggest problem, storywise, with the first three episodes is that the ghosts were just killed by the Deacon or the Countess for no real reason. Their deaths didn’t mean anything within the context of their lives: they just happened because they played with a ouija board, or because a journalist took interest in them, or because some guy thought he could make money off them. In Deception, finally, the ghosts’ deaths feel like the last act of the tragedy that was their lives, which makes their stories considerably more emotional. Once again, I wonder how it took Dave Gilbert four games to figure that out!

The Blackwell Epiphany: The grand finale. The game feels long and substantial. A lot of the good stuff I wrote about Deception applies here as well: memorable characters, some good puzzles (though not as good as in the previous game; too many of them feel like they’re just about jumping between characters to get information out of them), great soundtrack.

I’ll be honest, I’m not a fan of the ending. First, the cliffhanger from Deception feels like it never gets paid off, and is instead abandoned to make room for the ultimate twist of the return of the revenge of Madeline (who I’m seriously sick of at this point). Also, Rosa getting superpowers and then dying feels like it comes out of nowhere, without much explanation or even foreshadowing. Throughout the series, it feels like Gilbert is making the rules of the ghost stuff up as he goes along, but when he does it again 5 minutes before the end, it tends to rob it of (some of) its emotional weight.

(Speaking of, I just love the last-minute retcon, with Madeline saying just a few minutes from the end of the series “Oh by the way, you remember that demon from game 1? Yeah, it didn’t really exist. It was just something the Deacon made up because he was afraid. There, that’s one loose end tied! Now, let’s get back to the ending!” WTF, Gilbert?)

Still, the ending wisely focussed on the emotional bond between Rosa and Joey, and that made it powerful, cosmic shenanigans notwithstanding. (And Abe Goldfarb, as Joey, played the hell out of it. Rebecca Whittaker, as Rosa, not so much.) All in all, Epiphany was not perfect, but still a worthy conclusion to the series. 4/5

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 13 July 2017 07:03 AM

3) Am I the only one who wishes the games had just been numbered? I kept having to go online just to figure out which episode was next.

I recall having to do this also. Grin

Excellent and thorough review; not too long at all.

By the way, for anyone having problems with AGS games tearing on modern graphics cards change Graphics driver to DirectDraw in winsetup.exe.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

seriously i knda agree agree with you Kuru i never understood why all the hype over the last part but with a slight disagreement i loved Convergence more than Deception and of course Epiphany

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top