• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harvester (the most twisted game ever) has it’s own YouTube show!

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2016-07-07

PM

The Harvester Show presents you the original script, agency directory, story board, and other original stuff that was used to create the game. The show looks behind the curtains and reveals all the secrets of the game and the designers of it.

Harvester is the weirdest and the most controversial game ever. Are you fearless enough to join the Sacred Order of the Harvest Moon?

You have been invited.

Image Attachments

Kansikuva_pienempi.jpg

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thanks for the invitation.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Damn good channel for fans, this vid intro hurts like Twinpeaks in a good way

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Honestly, Harvester is one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played. It tries so hard to be twisted, but in the end it just is pretty dull in everything in does, political incorrectens included. I guess it’s mostly because I find the brand of twistednes it has predictable: it doesn’t really manage to surprise you at any point.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 07 July 2016 04:42 PM

Honestly, Harvester is one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played. It tries so hard to be twisted, but in the end it just is pretty dull in everything in does, political incorrectens included. I guess it’s mostly because I find the brand of twistednes it has predictable: it doesn’t really manage to surprise you at any point.

I bet you didnt see

Mom son relationship, sister bro sex scene, creepy children eating mother…etc

It was self aware though, not trying hard.
This game was like all creepy stories from US tabloids and underbellys wrapped in one package, mostly as satire and dark comedy representing dark side of human nature.
All presented in Twinpeaks fashion.

Then it gives you choice to mess with npcs in non linear way.

Edit

It was also way ahead of its time.
Deadly premonition and killer7 come close to it, later being more classy and polished.

Joined 2016-07-07

PM

zobraks - 07 July 2016 07:04 AM

Thanks for the invitation.

You’re welcome.

Joined 2016-07-07

PM

nomadsoul - 07 July 2016 09:13 AM

Damn good channel for fans, this vid intro hurts like Twinpeaks in a good way

Wow, thanks!

I want to give to the fans something I would like to experience myself.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for the link, I’m going to watch this.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 07 July 2016 05:14 PM

I bet you didnt see

I did actually, and I didn’t find it very special at all. As I said, I thought it was trying too hard, which made it predictable. It never did feel very smart in its approach, as it leaned mostly on cliches about what people think is twisted.

Things like cannibalism, incest, drunken indians and gay firemen are so tired when it comes in shock value, especially when the execution is lacking finesse.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 08 July 2016 10:04 AM
nomadsoul - 07 July 2016 05:14 PM

I bet you didnt see

I did actually, and I didn’t find it very special at all. As I said, I thought it was trying too hard, which made it predictable. It never did feel very smart in its approach, as it leaned mostly on cliches about what people think is twisted.

Things like cannibalism, incest, drunken indians and gay firemen are so tired when it comes in shock value, especially when the execution is lacking finesse.

It was clear from the outset that game was not taking itself too seriously.

Like DR series,

You get psychopaths of US culture as work of satire in dark comical way not smart way.

Also at the time of release only Phantasmagoria2 came close enough in terms of bold themes.

Still except few crazy games today,i dont know many games reaching far there.

If it was tired then i would like to know names of those games that did these tired themes better.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 08 July 2016 04:47 PM

If it was tired then i would like to know names of those games that did these tired themes better.

I’m not comparing it only on games. Tired it tired no matter if it’s done in different medium. I’m not giving it slack only because Harvest happens to be a game. And dark comedy needs to be smart too.

What it boils down for me is, that Harvester was much ado about nothing in the end. It tries to be clever, but ends up being blunt. It tries to be funny, but it only manages to recycle. It tries to be twisted, but it manages to do that only in a predictable way. In short, it’s not very well written and it’s overll just a lazy pastiche.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 08 July 2016 05:07 PM

I’m not comparing it only on games. Tired it tired no matter if it’s done in different medium. I’m not giving it slack only because Harvest happens to be a game. And dark comedy needs to be smart too.

What it boils down for me is, that Harvester was much ado about nothing in the end. It tries to be clever, but ends up being blunt. It tries to be funny, but it only manages to recycle. It tries to be twisted, but it manages to do that only in a predictable way. In short, it’s not very well written and it’s overll just a lazy pastiche.

Majority of games would fail on hard if compared to films,comics or TV in stories.
Finding old people in school closet making out and giving you bat , swearing your mom was never meant to be clever. It hardly tried to be clever.
It was at best B movie knockoff of Twinpeaks with gore and stuff.
And Devs made it B movie as proved by interviews.

Game was meant to have nudity and sex scenes too, but censorship was all over this game for gore alone.
Game was banned in germany and esrb founded later that year of release.

Joined 2016-07-07

PM

nomadsoul - 08 July 2016 06:59 PM
tomimt - 08 July 2016 05:07 PM

Majority of games would fail on hard if compared to films,comics or TV in stories.
Finding old people in school closet making out and giving you bat , swearing your mom was never meant to be clever. It hardly tried to be clever.
It was at best B movie knockoff of Twinpeaks with gore and stuff.
And Devs made it B movie as proved by interviews.

Game was meant to have nudity and sex scenes too, but censorship was all over this game for gore alone.
Game was banned in germany and esrb founded later that year of release.

Nomadsoul, your view on Harvester is very close to mine. When Harvester was released it was something totally new and unique.

And it’s still unique.

Joined 2016-07-07

PM

Sometimes there’s a thin line between the game and reality.

Total Posts: 288

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Maybe it was the time of my life when playing through it, but I have fond memories of Harvester.  It definitely kept the attention of my friend and I when playing through it.  The only part I remember disliking a bit was the last 20% of the game which turned into one slog of horizontal action type genre.  Room after room of just stuff to kill and get through.

Thanks for linking to the videos.  Interesting!

Joined 2016-07-07

PM

lakerz - 15 September 2018 02:02 AM

Thanks for linking to the videos.  Interesting!

You’re welcome Smile Here’s the latest.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top