• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

do traditional adventures (2D) become a rarity

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i took a quick survey at Pagoda list of released adventures through the past 4 years, only where i was thinking traditional adventure gaming started to take a wild drift from being the main course for most of the fans. my suspicion turned out right where i found that they appearing in a range between 40-60% with a decreasing curve toward present.

the reason why this caught my attention, i had a moment where i understood how games with Dreamfall Chapters, Life is Strange, or the New Kings Quest’s outlook becoming kinda demanding for the genre today, and can leave an adventure gamer a bit empty and not quite hyped toward traditional adventures without the Full 3D open world presentation/outlook, also can leave one wondering if this is the current evolution of adventure gaming that had been taking place since the genre was nothing but pure text games.

this kinda explains what i think happened for Daedalic since early 2014 and the idea behind their retreating from the market to enhance their studio; for not just being an indie company for hardcore/cult fan circle, but something big(ger) (as how Sierra was,Maybe?) tackling with all genre aspects; publishing, coproducing and above all making/adapting a new engine for their adventures, where the 3D outlook is present for the awaited sequel of The Whispered World and others. aswel explains how deponia4 and its sudden release was to cash-in the process of their plans.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

1) From where did you get this 40-60% statistic and 2) does it include freeware?

I would have expected traditional adventures to be >60% at the bare minimum.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

from pagodagamedatabase
and no, no freewares.
but keep in mind “rarity” here (i should ve cleared this) is from the perspective of it being 99-100% of the scene not long ago.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You’d have to go back to the 80s to find a time when 100% of adventures were 2D. When you consider that 3D adventure games were introduced in the early 90s, you have to conclude that they are just as traditional as 2D.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar - 29 June 2016 10:51 PM

When you consider that 3D adventure games were introduced in the early 90s, you have to conclude that they are just as traditional as 2D.

absolutely i have to conclude 3D adventure made in the early 90s because they were played in the *tradtional* ways. Laughing  but most developers don’t spare giving us 3D (adventure) games in this traditional idea anymore.. they even might consider it a loss, or at least a risk to do so, we are the forgotten children of adventure god gaming

bottom line whether 2D or 3D it doesn’t define the traditional adventure, unless you consider the new King’s Quest trational ...

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I don’t know of any 3D adventure games made in the early 90’s.
UAKM might be the earliest, but that was 1994, closer to mid-90’s than early 90’s.
Normality was 1996.

I don’t know if the simulation sections of Mean Streets would be considered 3D, but they weren’t the majority of the game.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

crabapple - 30 June 2016 03:24 PM

I don’t know of any 3D adventure games made in the early 90’s.

7th Guest
Alone in the Dark

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Games that play pre-recorded movies between nodes aren’t my idea of 3D.
There’s nothing “free-roaming” or “generated on the fly” about them.

Alone in the Dark 1, 2, and 3 look 2D to me, possibly 2.5D.
Certainly the backgrounds are pre-rendered.

Maybe we need to clarify what is meant by “3D”

Are we saying the Book of Unwritten Tales is 2D or 2.5D while Book of Unwritten Tales 2 is 3D?
Are we saying Whispered World is 2D or 2.5D while Whispered World will be 3D?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

From wiki:

The 7th Guest was the first game to use full rendered 3D animation and navigation

Alone in the Dark is one of the first games to utilize 3D models superimposed on pre-rendered backgrounds

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

http://www.mobygames.com/game/kings-quest/cover-art/gameCoverId,70035/

Bestselling authoress Roberta Williams, and Sierra’s adventure design team have brought the adventure game to life in the compelling 3-D Animated Adventure Game King’s Quest.

Top adventure game expert Roe Adams calls the 3-D Animated Adventure Game “The closest thing yet to a living game”.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2063

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

But on a serious note, some of the first free-roaming adventure games were Mean Streets (1989)

Eternam (1992)

and some 3D puzzle game from late 1980s I forgot about. But we were cool, not late to the party.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Doom - 30 June 2016 04:40 PM

Bestselling authoress Roberta Williams, and Sierra’s adventure design team have brought the adventure game to life in the compelling 3-D Animated Adventure Game King’s Quest.

Exactly. And all it meant was that you could move your character behind the castle or in front of the castle, and everything wasn’t on the same plane. It’s not what we think of as 3D nowadays.

Cryo used to advertise games like China and Egypt as being “Omni-3D” because you could pan around. Never mind that you were only panning around a fixed image that extended beyond the borders of your monitor.

So what are we calling 3D?
An engine that draws the screen on the fly and updates the screen every time you move?
Or something that loads and plays QuickTime movies when you click (like Traitors Gate 1).
Or a game the manufacturers claim is 3D? (in which case “3D” has been around ever since the first King’s Quest).

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

We’re talking graphics, not navigation. Even Colossal Cave Adventure had 3D navigation, so it would seem 3D is more traditional than 2D if we want to talk navigation.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

crabapple - 30 June 2016 05:27 PM
Doom - 30 June 2016 04:40 PM

Exactly. And all it meant was that you could move your character behind the castle or in front of the castle, and everything wasn’t on the same plane. It’s not what we think of as 3D nowadays.

it was only a matter perspective,  graphics wasn’t an option.. a possibility.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

with daedalic clear diversion, Wadjet eye becomes the *biggest* reliable traditional dev now, out there in the scene? or are there any other close by competitors?

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’ve played many 2D adventures this year. How many have you played Advie?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top