• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #38: Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

he time is the end of the sixteenth century, renowned for its culture, art and almost total disregard for personal hygiene. This is a time when a man’s worth is judged by the speed of his sword and the size of his moustache. A time when men were men and women were really, really bored.

Welcome, dear fellow musketeers to the community playthrough of Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer, a game released in 1995 by Clipper Software and published by U.S. Gold. As the name suggests, the game borrows the setting from Alexandre Dumas’ classic, but is neither a retelling nor a continuation, but more of a spin-off set in the same world (for example, d’Artagnan is an officer in your new garrison). The story follows the exploits of Geoffroi Le Brun, ensign in His Majesty’s musketeers, as soon as he arrives in the French city of Rouen, a new posting in his musketeering duty. Rouen will serve as a headquarter in our bold adventure, but we’ll also visit other cities around France (Amiens, Paris…), and even meet the invading “English pigs”!

About the game:
What kind of game to expect? Touché is a clear tribute to early 90s comedy adventures, most noticeably Monkey Island of LucasArts fame - the hero is a naive, ambitious “I want to be a pirate musketeer!” sort of fella, but you’ll also pretty quickly after the game starts get a sidekick as well (and a mission to fulfill the dying nobleman’s wish). It needs to be said that the game is marred by some typical “small budget games” issues - for example, it’s obvious they had to reuse a lot of character models (every soldiers are a complete lookalikes), and the execution is not “epic” as seen in similar LucasArts or Sierra titles at the time. Still, Touché is not without its aces up the sleeve - there’re a lot of challenges awaiting on your quest, the story is involving just like the book, and while not “outrageously” funny, you can be sure that the game will pull a chuckle or two for anyone remotely interested in these sort of games.

As for the interface, it’s sort of a precursor to “Full Throttle” and Monkey Island 3 type of “coin cursor”, with a twist - it’s unique verbs/actions are context sensitive, and you can never be sure what sort of actions you can take on a certain hot-spot. As for the hot-spots, it’s all “ol’-school” - there’s no highlighter, so inspect things closely and pay attention. When it comes to puzzles - expect EVERYTHING you’ve ever seen in an inventory type of puzzles + some more.

Where to get it, will it work?:
The game is supported both by the DOSBox and ScummVM, and the author of the game, Graham Lilley has given a link to CD copy to all participants in this thread. PM me for the link!

Playthrough schedule:

(Hints)

(Hints)

(in progress)

Additional notes: The game features music from a “living C64 legend” Ben Daglish, but perhaps you’ll be interested (for example, if you already played the game) in the Enhanced Soundtrack (I recommended it even to newcomers - it maintains the great Daglish’s tunes, only adding new instruments).

That’s it! Swash your buckle, the glory awaits you!!!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Touche never left my win95 computer. Ready when you are. Smile

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 21 February 2016 05:56 PM

Ready when you are. Smile

No rest for the wicked”, eh? Grin Tongue (would you believe only a few years ago when playthroughs were “done for”, that we’re having 3 playthroughs at the same moment? Grin )

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Mine is installed on my iMac and ready to play in ScummVM.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’d like to tell an anecdote right at the beginning - my first contact with the game came from a local game shop, and I entered it one day after the school. Unfortunately, even though I had a general idea what the game is about, I had no idea how to pronounce “Touché” (I must have heard the expression countless times in movies, as I always liked the swashbuckling adventures on screen, but it just slipped my mind). The shop was a small shop organized in a way that the clerk was standing in front, and all games behind, with new titles close by. I desperately wanted to ask for a game, but I knew I will make a shame of myself if I ask for “Touch-e” (sort of like Touchy) as it was the only idea in my head how to pronounce it (and I knew it wasn’t right). It also didn’t help that I had a crush in a female clerk, and I knew I’d stand no chance with her if she learns about my miserable knowledge of foreign languages. The strategy of “I want THAT game, you see, that one, starting with T…” was out of question because she’d see straight through it. Luckily, a friend of mine (with a better knowledge of foreign fencing exclamations) also just entered the shop and saw my suffering. He smiled and said - Ah… so you want - Touché! Smile

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I am really looking forward to play it, but I didn’t vote for it because I had no copy. If the game designer will share a link with us, I will gladly join the playthrough Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Stickied. Have fun, everyone.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ditto SoccerDude. If a legit download link appears, you can probably count me in.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’ve just got the official CD copy from Graham Lilley! Anyone interested in joining the playthrough should PM me to obtain the link. (it’s on the http://clippersoftware.co.uk/ server).

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The first part of the playthrough will be centered in Rouen - you need to apply for your new duty. You should stop playing once you reach this map and you’re able to travel around France. I’ll give it 5 days until Sunday to do so.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Wow! Touché! Almost 20 years passed since I played this! It was the second adventure game I played (the first was Flight of the Amazon Queen) and it helped cement my love for adventure games (until then I had mostly only played action games, with the occasional strategy/simulation game).

Like rtrooney, I would love to give this one a try, if a legit download link appears. Anyone knows why this isn’t being sold anywhere?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

A quick note since some of you are still wondering - the author of the game, Graham Lilley has given a free legit download link for the CD copy of the game! As he promised it to the participants for the sake of this playthrough, I wont be giving link publicly, but all you have to do is send me a PM (or ask for it in this thread)!

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I’m playing the game for the first time with enhanced music and I gotta say it’s a stellar job! Similar to Monkey Island remakes, the original work hasn’t been changed, only new instruments added! I’m recommending it even if you’re playing the game for the first time!

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I downloaded the zip copy from the PM. Anyone have step-by-step instructions for setting it up on DOSbox?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

rtrooney - 23 February 2016 11:24 AM

I downloaded the zip copy from the PM. Anyone have step-by-step instructions for setting it up on DOSbox?

Have you tried using Scummvm? (there’s no need to install the game, just load and play)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 23 February 2016 11:10 AM

I’m playing the game for the first time with enhanced music and I gotta say it’s a stellar job! Similar to Monkey Island remakes, the original work hasn’t been changed, only new instruments added! I’m recommending it even if you’re playing the game for the first time!

Ooh! Very nice. The voice acting so far is also stellar. Back in the 90s I played the floppy version, so no voices.

It’s like playing a new game. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top