• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is everyone okay that Telltale is now known as that company that made Walking Dead? 

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I feel like the success of Taletale’s Walking Dead is the final nail in the coffin as far as traditional point and click adventure games from that company go. Should we still be expecting this developer to be working on the new King’s Quest game? Honestly, the business side of me is saying they should double down on their Heavy Rain style games and make something with Breaking Bad. The adventure gamer side of me is worried.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2009-12-24

PM

Honestly, the walking dead is the only telltale series I have ever enjoyed. (haven’t tried tales from monkey island, hear that’s meant to be decent)

I find their art, writing, graphics, puzzle design…...REALLY middle of the road in just about every telltale adventure I have tried.

the walking dead improved on, (in my opinion, the most important part of adventure games,) the writing and the player’s involvement in the story. I’m glad its not like their normal games. which just end up boring me.

so yeah, personally i hope they continue in this direction.

[OBVIOUSLY: all of the above is my personal opinion)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Look at it this way:
if it’s a choice between Back to the Future, an mildly entertaining middle-of-the-road series which ‘played it safe’, and an interactive movie like The Walking Dead which at least tries to do some new things and reportedly has some good writing, I’d lean towards the latter.

I don’t like either of those games and Telltale hasn’t impressed me much since Wallace & Gromit (TOMI and Devil’s Playhouse were decent), but at least now they’re winning large audiences even if it’s not with adventures. Their adventure games were becoming stale and even if they stayed with the same style as BTTF I don’t think King’s Quest would have been anything amazing anyway.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

i still haven’t tried the walking dead (don’t know if I will try it at all) but personally I don’t care what happens with Telltale at all. Something in their way of making games made me start avoiding them. Maybe it’s something in my personal taste, or the fact that I can obviously see that they care mainly for their commercial success (oh, yeah, and I hate studios which take over the rights for old classic games, even if they make a decent new game with them).

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I loved their Sam & Max games (starting from 104) and thought Wallace & Gromit and ToMI were fine games, so I’ll be a bit sad if they decide to stop making more traditional adventures. Still, their work on The Walking Dead is absolutely brilliant, and they’re pretty much the only ones making these powerful, choice-based, episodic narratives; so if they want to focus on that style of games, they have my blessing. There are plenty of other companies working on more traditional adventures.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

of course im okay with it. I havnt played it yet, but it looks great. And it just means they’ll have more power to work on their other projects (which are all adventure games). Really, off the top of my head i cant think of another company thats made more progress in bringing adventure back into mainstream attention.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I share most people’s views here. The Walking Dead is awesome. Definitely better than the TV show. Their other games were mediocre so I’m fine if they continue in this direction.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It will be very interesting to see where Telltale goes from here. Walking Dead is amzing, revolutionary and their most critically successful (and probably commercially).
On the other side, I’m playing Jurassic Park now and it’s… not very good.
My favourite Telltale games besides Walking Dead are Sam and Max Season 2 and Monkey Island (have not played Back to the Future). So I hope they continue to have some traditional adventure games along with this new style.

More than Kings Quest (that I think they might not go for the episodic model for once) I’m more interested to see what they do with Fables, could be such an awesome license.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m leaning towards “the more exposure, the better”, even if it’s not with “traditional” adventure games. They’re reaching mainstream gamers, and that’s more than can be said about most other adventure game developers.

Telltale’s a big part of the movement to get adventure games back in the picture, and they’re also showing that success is achievable, and that the genre still has room for evolution.

That’s all good, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I wonder how much TWD’s popularity is due to the zombies. It’s hard to tell how popular it would be if it were a straightforward point-and-click like Sam & Max.

Also, think about how horrendous Sam & Max Seasons 1 & 2 would have turned out if they were in the style of The Walking Dead. Jurassic Park didn’t exactly get universal praise either.

My view is you win some, you lose some. Telltale have made good traditional adventures and bad ones. They’ve also made good ‘evolved’ adventures and bad ones. We can’t conclude from a successful adaptation of a hugely popular zombie show that same formula is going to be successful in the future with other projects.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Zifnab - 15 October 2012 11:57 AM

I wonder how much TWD’s popularity is due to the zombies. It’s hard to tell how popular it would be if it were a straightforward point-and-click like Sam & Max.

oh make no mistake, the reason why its popular is because the tv show is very popular. But it sounds like the quality and content also happens to be great, which helps it sustain that popularity.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I would like to believe it’s popular because of the comics and the quality of the game, not the mostly boring tv show Smile (but, sure, the tv certainly helps).

But I don’t think it’s about being a zombie game, it’s more about the characters and the choices you have to make in an extreme situation. Some genres would work better with it, Sam and Max and king’s Quest wouldn’t make much sense in this type of game.
Also jurassic park, so far it’s about QTEs with no choice, so it’s mostly boring.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

And it’s real!!! Great news!!!

http://www.telltalegames.com/fables

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

That’s some seriously old news there, wilco. Wink

I don’t know why TWD would be cause for concern, even if you don’t like the series. One project doesn’t necessarily have any bearing on another.  The King’s Quest crowd is obviously very different from the casual Walking Dead fan, and Telltale has already stated they’ll tailor their games according to their audience.  It’s not like they turned their CSI games into comedies after they did Sam & Max.

I expect they’ll continue to do simplified high profile mainstream stuff, but mix in some more adventure-friendly stuff in between.  Possibly more third-party games like Hector: Badge of Carnage.  Sort of like actors who take the big blockbuster roles so they can afford to do the indie stuff as well.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jackal - 15 October 2012 01:15 PM

That’s some seriously old news there, wilco. Wink

Oh… Got excited because they talked about it on twitter and assumed they would start rolling out new info on their next game. Probably nothing new Frown

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Telltale is known for Walking Dead because it is the currently running game series right now. Once its over, they will be known for Kings Quest or Fables, etc. They used to be known for Sam & Max, but they haven’t made a new season for a while due to their large catalog.

I don’t see how its a bad thing.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top