• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AnimeAdamBeckyKeybordzNico2021walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sherlock Holmes in modern-day London

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 October 2012 10:06 PM

I want a Sherlock Holmes game based on the Robert Downey Jr. movies. It could be like Uncharted, but with more puzzles and good quips from the down man!

Technically, thats were Testament came from. A more organic, deep, and fluid experience. Although, with a bit more effort, I would love to see one on par wit hthe quality of Uncharted. Grin

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Well the thing is, 95% of the gameplay in Uncharted is shooting literally hundreds of people in the head. I’m not sure Conan Doyle would approve.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Monolith - 15 October 2012 01:49 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 14 October 2012 10:06 PM

I want a Sherlock Holmes game based on the Robert Downey Jr. movies. It could be like Uncharted, but with more puzzles and good quips from the down man!

Technically, thats were Testament came from. A more organic, deep, and fluid experience. Although, with a bit more effort, I would love to see one on par wit hthe quality of Uncharted. Grin

Please let’s not make a game out of those ghastly Guy Ritchie abominations that really have nothing in common with the source material but the name of the main character. I really hope Testament isn’t like those films cause so far the Frogwares series stayed relatively close to the books. Especially in terms of atmosphere but if they move more towards the latest films I guess Testament will be the last Frogwares SH game I’ll play.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2011-01-12

PM

rottford - 14 October 2012 08:51 PM

I can’t really picture anyone BUT Benedict Cumberbatch doing Sherlock’s voice. Just like I have a hard time not hearing Jeremy Brett’s voice when reading Sherlock’s dialogue in “Case of the Serrated Scalpel.”

I don’t think anyone can say every single thing about a person as fast as he does, keep the same tone throughout the whole speech and still look amazingly smart. Grin

gray pierce - 15 October 2012 08:15 AM

Please let’s not make a game out of those ghastly Guy Ritchie abominations that really have nothing in common with the source material but the name of the main character. I really hope Testament isn’t like those films cause so far the Frogwares series stayed relatively close to the books. Especially in terms of atmosphere but if they move more towards the latest films I guess Testament will be the last Frogwares SH game I’ll play.

I absolutely agree with this. Personally I didn’t like Robert Downey Jr. performance at all. “Oh I like boxing and fighting and shooting guns at people instead of observing and deducing”  Meh  I actually thought Jude Law’s, Mark Strong’s and Rachel McAdams’ performances where somewhat better in the movie. And the movie itself was entertaining but nowhere near as good as original Sherlock Holmes. I haven’t watched the sequel yet, and I don’t know if I’m going to, anyway.

Everything you need to know about me has already been told.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

SweetDalilah - 15 October 2012 11:27 AM

I haven’t watched the sequel yet, and I don’t know if I’m going to, anyway.

If you didn’t like the first one, then don’t bother with the sequel.

As for a RDJr.-style Sherlock Holmes game: it’d be hard to still keep it within the adventure genre. You’d be entering L.A. Noire / hybrid territory. That’s not necessarily a plus.

If Frogwares can continue by staying relatively close to the books and keeping inspections, investigations and deductions a main part of the gameplay, then I don’t see why they’d change a winning team.

It’s not like the RDJr. movies are hurting the exposure this is getting, but it’s also not like mimicking the RDJr. movies would actually improve the games’ success or popularity…
The “Sherlock Holmes” name is still the most important aspect, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I hoped everyone knows that the Guy Richie versions were a lot more accurate to the books than a lot of the british films, right? The way Holmes acts is a lot more accurate to how he was portrayed in the books.

People didn’t like it just like how people are confused that a fairytale character has nothing in common with a Disney counterpart.

Original adaptations aren’t ‘true’ adaptations. Seniority has no right to justify perfection. If that was the case then ‘grimm fairytales’ or all lies and Disney has rights to the ‘perfect’ adaptations.

The only problem with RDJr with SHerlock is that he doesn’t share the same ‘Joy of the hunt’ in which Sherlock had in the books…but perfectly visualized on the show ‘Sherlock’.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 15 October 2012 02:43 PM

I hoped everyone knows that the Guy Richie versions were a lot more accurate to the books than a lot of the british films, right? The way Holmes acts is a lot more accurate to how he was portrayed in the books.

Yes, especially pertaining all the slo-mo fighting, shooting, and constant explosions, I reckon…

The quirks and even the ultra-sensory perception, yes. All the action, no. And Holmes being played by an American, HELL NO.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2012 02:50 PM
Monolith - 15 October 2012 02:43 PM

Yes, especially pertaining all the slo-mo fighting, shooting, and constant explosions, I reckon…

The quirks and even the ultra-sensory perception, yes. All the action, no. And Holmes being played by an American, HELL NO.

How dare they make an entertaining movie. -_- Being played by an american is like….I don’t know. Nothing wrong with it. Same acting practice, same ancestory. Oh you’re nickpicking for something has no affect on how a person acts. Hmmm. Nothing wrong with the slomo fighting. It was the best representation of the thought process behind sherlock.

Again, lets make a boring inaccurate british film. All the action in Sherlock is so irrelevant too. OMG, Sherlock sucks!

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I like how you’re drawing the entertainment factor of Guy Ritchie’s movies into a discussion that’s solely about the character’s portrayal compared to that of the books.
So relevant. Shifty Eyed

And while RDJr does a pretty decent British accent, it doesn’t always feel absolutely right. And that hurts the character.
Never said the movies suck, though.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I like the RDJ movies a lot. They’re like Iron Man in the 1800’s! If you’re a die-hard Sherlock Holmes fan I can see why you would dislike them, though. Since I’m not I don’t care at all about how accurate the portrayal is.

And I wasn’t saying a new game should be an adventure, TimovieMan, I was saying it should be Uncharted but with more puzzles. So instead of say 80 % gun play and 20 % puzzles it’d be more akin to 65 % gun play and 35 % puzzles Tongue

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 15 October 2012 02:58 PM

How dare they make an entertaining movie. -_- Being played by an american is like….I don’t know. Nothing wrong with it. Same acting practice, same ancestory. Oh you’re nickpicking for something has no affect on how a person acts. Hmmm. Nothing wrong with the slomo fighting. It was the best representation of the thought process behind sherlock.

Again, lets make a boring inaccurate british film. All the action in Sherlock is so irrelevant too. OMG, Sherlock sucks!

If you need action in your Sherlock Holmes to be entertained, are you sure you’re watching/playing/reading the right thing? It’s never been the main appeal of the books. It’s true the books aren’t entirely actionless, but it’s never the focus. Even the most ‘exciting’ moment when Holmes plunges to his death during a fight is described by Watson after it happens by observing the clues, while the Ritchie movies would describe the fight blow by blow, and extend it by slowing it down.

That’s because the thrill in the books comes from deduction and reconstruction of events from clues. Frogwares does a good job recreating that and doesn’t need to descend to making Holmes an action figure, as if there are aren’t enough action games already out there.

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

I like the movies too. You just need to be able to overlook the fact that they don’t really have anything to do with Sherlock Holmes. But I still find them entertaining and that’s all that matters.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

TimovieMan - 15 October 2012 03:22 PM

I like how you’re drawing the entertainment factor of Guy Ritchie’s movies into a discussion that’s solely about the character’s portrayal compared to that of the books.
So relevant. Shifty Eyed

And while RDJr does a pretty decent British accent, it doesn’t always feel absolutely right. And that hurts the character.
Never said the movies suck, though.

Actually, you were the one that brought up the ‘Explosions, action’ part of the argument. Else that would of been irrelevant to the discussion. Was it? You still haven’t said why the portrayal of Sherlock was bad.

Oscar - 15 October 2012 03:57 PM

If you need action in your Sherlock Holmes to be entertained, are you sure you’re watching/playing/reading the right thing? It’s never been the main appeal of the books. It’s true the books aren’t entirely actionless, but it’s never the focus. Even the most ‘exciting’ moment when Holmes plunges to his death during a fight is described by Watson after it happens by observing the clues, while the Ritchie movies would describe the fight blow by blow, and extend it by slowing it down.

That’s because the thrill in the books comes from deduction and reconstruction of events from clues. Frogwares does a good job recreating that and doesn’t need to descend to making Holmes an action figure, as if there are aren’t enough action games already out there.

Generally speaking, a great film has all emotions. A drama so to speak. All great films have action in it, though maybe not as much as Sherlock.

Schneckchen ^.^ - 15 October 2012 04:24 PM

I like the movies too. You just need to be able to overlook the fact that they don’t really have anything to do with Sherlock Holmes. But I still find them entertaining and that’s all that matters.

Thats like saying ‘ignore all everything great about it, including the best adaptation to Sherlock’s character in cinema, and pretend its just a really good detective action film’....

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I haven’t seen the new movies but quality aside, I’m still anxious to hear how the new Sherlock’s character can be the best portrayal ever when it portrays him as a flashy action hero.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 15 October 2012 05:11 PM

Actually, you were the one that brought up the ‘Explosions, action’ part of the argument. Else that would of been irrelevant to the discussion. Was it? You still haven’t said why the portrayal of Sherlock was bad.

You never re-read on-going discussions, do you? Otherwise you would have seen that me mentioning “explosions, action” was specifically about Holmes’ portrayal within the Ritchie films as opposed to in the books. That’s as relevant as it gets. And if you don’t think so, then please, tell me in which Arthur Conan Doyle book Sherlock Holmes gets into multiple footchases, fistfights, gunfights and explosions.

Also, I’m not going to say why the portrayal of Sherlock was bad, because I never stated it was bad in the first place. FYI, I liked the RDJr movies.
I just don’t agree with your statement that they’re the most accurate adaptations of the books ever made.

Monolith - 15 October 2012 05:11 PM

All great films have action in it, though maybe not as much as Sherlock.

For this to be true, you’d need a very broad definition of the term ‘action’.
Unless you consider “ten men holding an aggressive 11th man back” in the film “12 Angry Men” to be ‘action’.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top