• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 6 October 2012

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 07 October 2012 08:52 AM
Kasper F. Nielsen - 07 October 2012 01:11 AM

I really should get around to actually trying out a Zork game. Which one would be ideal to start with (minus any of text adventures)?

Check this.

I’ll add that Zork Nemesis a dark game with a dark story and a few horror aspects, which takes place in the Zork universe but has hardly any connection to it. I liked the game, but I never felt I was playing a Zork game.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Nemesis is really the only one of the three with any hint of seriousness to it. Return to Zork and Grand Inquisitor are very farcical and do well to replicate the humor of the originals, but they feel like tributes to Zork. Which isn’t entirely a bad thing, but I sometimes wish they’d been able to make another one somewhere in between the two extremes of serious and silly. GI feels closer to Starship Titanic in tone than the Zork games.

I’ll just say that I think the text adventures were first and foremost adventures, not comedies. Their universe was a very eccentric fantasy world combined with a humorous narrator. Being the first games of their type they wanted to be entertaining, and achieved that magnificently. They never got too carried away with the laughs at the expense of adventuring.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 06 October 2012 06:19 PM
inm8#2 - 06 October 2012 12:00 PM

Shun magic, and shun the appearance of magic! Shun everything - and then shun shunning!

Lucien21 - 06 October 2012 03:18 PM

No citizens over, or under, the age of 18 may appear on, or in, the streets after curfew is in progress. Violators of Inquisition curfew may be intimidated, incarcerated, lacerated and/or masticated if time permits and the weather is fine.

Further violators of curfew will be threatened with smitting, then smitten. Once smote, further smitation and subsequent resmitation will commence until the smittee is deemed to be sufficiently smit by the smitter

Are these quotes from the game?  Heart Eyes

*bumps the (partial) replay of Zork: Nemesis and the first playthrough of Zork: Grand Inquisitor forward in his list of games to play*

Permasuck, from Frobozz Electric. We don’t make things that suck, we make things that suck permanently.

——

This game is very quoteworthy.

It’s hilarious.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

It can’t do any harm to repeat that this weekend all Activision games at GOG are 60% off. People who want to play one or more Zork games at some point should get them now. Only $2.39 each. That’s only $9.56 for the lot! The Zork Anthology (5 Zork text adventures, the Enchanter trilogy and Wishbringer not included) - Return to Zork - Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*adds Return to Zork to his list of games to play*

Damn you all! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top