• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gog releasing some old adventures

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

lol, who needs a hintbook for WB?

time for Ecoquest and Rainforest, the latter is much fun!

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Advie - 02 March 2017 04:48 PM

EcoQuest +10000

Loved it. Replayed it often, feel its undervalued

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

CaliMonk - 02 March 2017 04:51 PM

EcoQuest +10000

Loved it. Replayed it often, feel its undervalued

Jane had a great start with Sierra back then.. and tho she wasn’t there at the developing of The Rainforest the game was good, i liked it more than EcoQuest as it was without all the environmental ethics tasks Tongue and wasn’t directed to 7-10 (imo) age players (as EcoQuest) Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Maybe worth noting they once again have both versions (floppy and Cd) available of Willy
Keep them coming gog

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Sierra’s best game is finally on GOG. Also Conquests of Camelot.

https://www.gog.com/game/conquests_of_camelot
https://www.gog.com/game/conquests_of_the_longbow

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

So that was indeed the reason why Christy Marx took down the download links from her own page.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 May 2017 09:12 AM

so do they fix the famous bugs that keep players from finishing the game before GOGing it or one still needs to patch LB before playing it again.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Drop the condescending attitude; Willy Beamish has a lot of timed sequences with random solutions if my memory from 23 years ago and recent reviews are any indication.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what are you talking about, GOG is not doing it job the way it should be with all the Copy Protections and Bugs still apparent. it’s time we stop applauding for anything for sake of the genre like spoiling a lousy kid.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Advie - 04 May 2017 11:01 AM

so do they fix the famous bugs that keep players from finishing the game before GOGing it or one still needs to patch LB before playing it again.

I’ve played Longbow every few years since 1991 and I have no idea what bug you’re talking about. In any case, ScummVM should take care of whatever problems there might be.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Advie - 04 May 2017 11:21 AM

what are you talking about, GOG is not doing it job the way it should be with all the Copy Protections and Bugs still apparent. it’s time we stop applauding for anything for sake of the genre like spoiling a lousy kid.

GOG is just a distribution platform for most games, they can’t really do much for actual bugs, as that would require them to have source code access. Fixing those is really a job for those who own the actual code, but in many cases that actual source code has been lost ages ago, so fixing some old bugs might be a tad difficult thing to do even for the people who actually coded the game in the first place.

Not to mention, that modern coding environment wouldn’t probably even compile the old code without causing other severe issues, if compile them at all.

I think the only occasion GOG has themselves removed copy protection was with SSI gold box games, as they purchased the rights for themselves, but they can’t really do that for every game in their catalogue.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

What I don’t understand though is why GOG doesn’t release mac versions using ScummVM. It wouldn’t be a lot of work to repackage the games to do that.

If they can’t for legal reasons, they could at least provide a zip file instead of forcing us to use wine or parallels to run the installer so that we can get the files and drop them in scummvm.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

giom - 04 May 2017 11:57 AM

What I don’t understand though is why GOG doesn’t release mac versions using ScummVM. It wouldn’t be a lot of work to repackage the games to do that.

If they can’t for legal reasons, they could at least provide a zip file instead of forcing us to use wine or parallels to run the installer so that we can get the files and drop them in scummvm.

Agreed. You used to be able to extract the files from the installers with any archive extractor, but you can’t even do that anymore; you have to run the damn thing.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2003-11-23

PM

Finally. We had seen it coming for some time, but I’m none less happy for that.

Longbow is among the very narrow list of adventures (with some of the Legend’s catalogue, and EA’s Sherlock Holmes games) which I had long ago promised myself, out of principle, to buy on Day 1 when or if they come to GoG. They are what ideally the store should be primarily about: rereleasing games not played by enough people when they were new, but always remembered with admiration by those who had*. So I am putting my money where my mouth was, backlog or no backlog. (The only gripe I have is that they could have released it on Tuesday, and I’d have an obvious candidate for a prize in April Fool Tourney.)

*Of course they have tons of AGs that fit that description already available. It’s just that most either I had already bought in some form before, or are not that high on my WANT list.

This space intentionally left blank.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

giom - 04 May 2017 11:57 AM

Yea was gonna come here to ask about this. I guess I’ll just buy a cheap Windows laptop for retro gaming one of these days.

Advie - 04 May 2017 11:21 AM

This has absolutely nothing to do with my response to you, don’t have a clue why you brought this up when quoting my post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top