• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Kickstarter:From Fatigue to Establishment

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

We all talked about Kickstarter fatigue till recently as if it was just a fad,a passing wave of projects and maybe a project or two aftewards,if things ever got difficult.But I think it’s established more or less.There’s a new project kickstarter behind every corner.Even a developer like Obsidian Entertainment with so many successful games and a larger fanbase than AGs is turning to kickstarter.In a little while we’ll be seeing CODs and MMOs in kickstarter.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

somehow it feels like a forbidden power,you know the kind that is too powerful for a mere human and most who end in its path get a taste of it’s power ,drink themselves blind with it until their destruction in the power’s “hands”.don’t look at me,this is a pretty standard story Tongue.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I highly doubt we’ll see a game on the scale of Call of Duty, which costs 50 million dollars to make, on Kickstarter.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i exagerrated to emphasise my point.of course a COD game is at the forefront of publisher support,if they can’t get publishers then who can?.but it doesn’t change the fact that more and more kickstarters are coming out.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Yes, but hypothetically, even if it were to make $50M, what does that mean? NONE of the Kickstarter campaigns “guarantee” anything. Sure, level of money acquired puts it in the reasonable “budget range” expectations, but will it be a good game? Do we know if Double Fine adventure is going to be at the same level like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango…? Will Wasteland 2 be better than Fallout? Would even $10M or $50M guarantee Project Eternity to surpass Baldur’s Gate, The Witcher, Oblivion… ? Not even game designers can know that.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The establishment may depend on the games keeping their promises and actually being good when they are released, people could learn to trust this way for the long term.

On this note I’m finally playing a kickstarter I pledged - FTL: Faster Than Light - and it’s awesome.

Off-topic: I may be wrong but I don’t think I’ve seen a successful FPS kickstarter, it’s curious.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

no but even so they do know statistics and statistics say they are one of the high earners in the game industry, where the demands are towards fast action packed experiences with incredible graphics.publishers take them as safe bets.so there’s no way they’d go for a kickstarter.unless what they wanted to do was as experimental as risky in the eyes of the publishers and the studio itself had no money for the production.

there are so many FPS war games out there and why would anyone want to pay 100$ for a kickstarter FPS when he knows there are some games out there he can pay 60$ and get as hard copies,games from high end developers with a guarantee for excitement.the stories might lack but most of them succeed in bringing some excitement and suspense to the table.they are war games after all.

also the establishment may or may not depend on the kickstarters we’ve seen so far.even if they all fail you cannot say it was kickstarter’s fault,at least not entirely.there is a small possibility that all of them just didn’t have good ideas.hopefully none will fail,not so much about kickstarter but for their own and their developer’s sake.every game is a risk.you never know until reviews are out and until fans have played the game.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, I’ve seen some failed kickstarter FPS projects but the fans probably don’t think it’s worth pledging because the offer in so big in that genre. I just find curious that the most popular genre fails in kickstarter but that’s probably obvious because of the nature of the service.

Concerning the other part, I just think that if games start to get multiple delays and turn out rushed with lots of problems fans will probably not be receptive to pledge in the future and this model could die. It will be interesting to see where will this takes us.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’m all for these kickstarters (even for the big developer like Obsidian), but only if the game they wanting to make is impossible to greenlight thru standard channels (which oldschool RPGs in the vain of Baldurs Gate kind of are). Similarly, I would gladly pledge if giant developer like LucasArts wanted to make the next Monkey Island installment.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Quick reality check. Kickstarter isn’t all about games. Movie theater in NW Chicago suburbs was threatened with closing because it didn’t have the funds to go digital. It started a kickstarter campaign that kept the theater open.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

^ I don’t think anybody said Kickstarter was only for games. They’re talking about how game developers will use it in the future, since this year Kickstarter funding exploded thanks to the movement that Double Fine started.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

jhetfield21 - 18 September 2012 06:33 PM

Even a developer like Obsidian Entertainment with so many successful games…

Obsidian games sell poorly and they are in financial trouble. It’s sort of the same story with Tim Schafer - the last few games he has made have been huge financial failures that have crippled the industry.

Kickstarter is good because its promoting the idea that not every game needs an over bloated budget and tech so talented designers, artists and programmers don’t have to take a massive hit because the game doesn’t sell 10,000,000 units.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

thejobloshow - 19 September 2012 02:39 AM

Obsidian games sell poorly and they are in financial trouble.

can’t say i researched this but i never would have imagined they were in trouble.is this why no publisher was interested in this?or did they want to do the same thing ass Charles Cecil and have all of the sales for themselves instead of giving enormous cuts to publishers?

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

TAKEDOWN is a tactical shooter which managed to get some backing, although it was a close call and only a little over $200K. I think that shooters in this respect are similar to RPG’s—what people are looking for are specific traits, more precisely what they call “hardcore”.

I don’t really see it as out of the question to have the likes of Call of Duty on Kickstarter in the future, and getting tens of millions. But for now I don’t think it’s necessary, and getting a constellation in which it will happen will be difficult.

As for Kickstarter, I’m pretty amazed how it continues to fund big projects. Broken Sword is doing very well and I think there’s a chance Project Eternity might break the DFA record. I’m sure that at some point things will die down. There are just so many developers of old games, and though they could always fund the next project through Kickstarter, we’re always hoping that they won’t have to.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well if even those guys(COD) have to turn to kickstarter,then who will turn to publishers?unless that means a whole reform of the mentality and logic publishers operate with that makes them take notice of smaller developers but that’s wishful thinking.I keep thinking that if it gets to that the publisher model will collapse.they would have to lose one of their dreadnought projects of the genre.reality though is that it’s still to early for that.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

jhetfield21 - 19 September 2012 03:52 AM
thejobloshow - 19 September 2012 02:39 AM

Obsidian games sell poorly and they are in financial trouble.

can’t say i researched this but i never would have imagined they were in trouble.is this why no publisher was interested in this?or did they want to do the same thing ass Charles Cecil and have all of the sales for themselves instead of giving enormous cuts to publishers?

From what I remember, they had a lot of difficulties working with SEGA on Alpha Protocol and were unable to secure bonuses for Fallout New Vegas due to a contractual agreement that stipulated that the game needed to earn a 85% on Metacritic.

I definitely feel that their main motive behind going to Kickstarter is to be free from publisher interference and restrictions - but if it also helps recuperate costs for the losses from Alpha Protocol and New Vegas then that’s a bonus.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top