• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckydiego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How cool would it be if big historical/thriller authors like Steve Berry and Chris Kuzneski would write an Adventure Game?

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

How cool would it be if big historical/thriller/conspiracy authors like Steve Berry and Chris Kuzneski would write an Adventure Game?

I mean they all have interesting protagonists in their series of books, and mix religious and historical themes with conspiracy. This could be very similar to the Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight series. This is something I have been thinking about for a long time now. I actually just submitted a suggestion to Steve Berry on his web site. Smile

What are your thoughts?

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i haven’t read anything they’ve written but if it’s anything like GK and BS i’d gladly support it.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

I have to agree. That’d be awesome! I want a Sigma force AG!

But realistically I think none of that is ever gonna happen.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

you never know….there was The Dig where Steven Spielberg participated.why not something like this?....it’s all about if they writers themselves get to see the suggestions and if they’re willing to dabble in AGs which probably is the most appropriate genre for them.

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

They are really great authors same theme as Dan Brown (but waaaaay better)

Steve Berry’s books (with his character Cotton Malone)
-The Templar Legacy (Templars, Jesus, etc)
-The Alexandria Link (the lost library of Alexandria)
-The Venetian Betrayal
-The Charlemagne pursuit
-The Paris Vendetta
-The Emperors Tomb
-The Jefferson Key (like National Treasure)

Chris Kuzneski books (with his characters Payne and Jones)
-Sign of the cross (Jesus, Templars, etc)
-Sword of God
-The Lost throne
-The Prophecy (covers the myth of Nostradamus)
-The Secret Crown (covers the myth about Prince Ludwig of Bavaria, just like GK2. Smile)

These titles give you guys an idea on what to expect. Smile

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

jesus….why is everyone keep convincing me about reading books lately Pan ....i already have about twenty or more on my readlist without recommendations Confused ....uuuuuuh another 10 or so are added.where is a damn time stopper when you need one Tongue .

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

jhetfield21 - 11 September 2012 06:37 AM

jesus….why is everyone keep convincing me about reading books Pan ....i already have about twenty or more on my readlist Confused ....uuuuuuh another 10 or so are added.where is a damn time stopper when you need one Tongue .

haha, I know what you mean. But if you do like Adventure Games like Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight, you should def pick up those 2 authors. Wink

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

well it’s kinda difficult not to,now that i’ve heard about them,isn’t it?any vampires around?need one hell of a lot of time to be able to do everythin,and read them books. Tongue

oh and to have some measure of being ontopic,tell us if any of them reply to you.personally i really like the idea of seeing one of them try writing for games,though it’s a bit different than writing for a book or a novel.you have to write thinking about interactivity too but i guess they could study a bit before trying it out.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t know these authors, but you need more for a game than a good story, much more. A game can easily have an excellent story and still be terrible. But a good story isn’t necessary for a good game, or even a story at all.

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Oscar - 11 September 2012 06:49 AM

I don’t know these authors, but you need more for a game than a good story, much more. A game can easily have an excellent story and still be terrible. But a good story isn’t necessary for a good game, or even a story at all.

Oscar, you are so right regarding that the story is not the only important thing in an Adventure Game. I was more suggesting that these authors could potentially collaborate with solid Adventure Games studios that would help out with the design, puzzles, directing, etc.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Ah. Well it sure would be more exciting than reading - I am someone who finds thriller novels quite boring to read.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

maybe you haven’t found a good writer for your tastes or if you’re not a native english speaker and you’ve read a translation that was bad….that happened 2-3 times for me,the translation of some books was so bad or so inappropriate the writer’s style got lost and it got boring,then when i tried reading it in english it was like whoosh….read the book in a week when the previous took a year with a half year break.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh I like some writers, just not thrillers and Dan Brown stuff. I’d love to see Krasznahorkai help develop an adventure game.

Let’s just say that if Gabriel Knight or Last Express were adapted into novels, i’d hate them. Somehow playing these stories turns them into something interesting.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

Oscar - 11 September 2012 07:40 AM

Let’s just say that if Gabriel Knight or Last Express were adapted into novels, i’d hate them. Somehow playing these stories turns them into something interesting.

The first two Gabriel Knight games have already been made into novels. I haven’t read them myself and they’re not in print any more, but they were included as e-books in some of the reward tiers in Jane Jensen’s recent Kickstarter project. For what it’s worth, the reviews on Amazon seem mostly positive.

There were rumors about The Last Express possibly being made into a movie, but I haven’t heard anything about that lately.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i haven’t played The Last Express yet but from the screens i’ve seen i am reminded of A scanner darkly.where’s the expert?where’s Fien?can it work?:P

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I have Jane’s novel about the Beast Within. IMO, the writing is not very good. The game is much better.

jhetfield21 - 13 September 2012 04:57 AM

i haven’t played The Last Express yet but from the screens i’ve seen i am reminded of A scanner darkly.

Because that film is rotoscoped, just like the Last Express? Smile The rumor is true, by the way. Paul Verhoeven said he would make a movie based on TLE. That was somewhere in 2011. And the rest was silence… maybe he didn’t think it was such a great idea after all, or he couldn’t get it financed. It may even still be on his list of future projects. But it would certainly not be rotoscoped, he’d go for 3D.

where’s the expert?where’s Fien?can it work?:P

Ha! The real expert on TLE is Veronika. She only drops in when she has something new to tell us.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top