• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

An interview with Bryan Wiegele

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

(Here’s a short interview I conducted with Bryan Wiegele. I wanted to post it on my web page, but I’m currently locked out of it due to not having posted on it for a long time and having forgotten how to get in. So I decided to post it here until I get help and get in.)

Bryan Wiegele is a veteran of the gaming industry who is best known as the creator of the Delaware St. John adventure series. I was recently surprised to discover that he turned to creating a graphic novel, The Red Queen of Oz, for which he’s currently running a Kickstarter project. But it looks like there’s more to this, and this is just a first step towards creating an adventure game based on the setting of this graphic novel. I was intrigued enough that I decided to ask Mr. Wiegele if he’d be willing to answer a few questions, and he kindly obliged.

[ET] The basic premise of the story, according to the Kickstarter page, is that the Red Queen is trying to take over Oz after taking over Wonderland, and it’s up to Alice and Dorothy to stop her. Anything more you can reveal about the story? Can you tell us how Alice and Dorothy met?

[Bryan Wiegele] Alice and Dorothy actually meet for the first time after returning to Wonderland/Oz. They’re both tossed into the middle of the chaos caused by the Red Queen and are searching for familiar faces to find out what’s going on.

[ET] How did you come up with this idea?

[Bryan Wiegele] The idea has been floating around in my head for years and bit by bit the pieces worked out, all except for one. But recently I had a moment where the missing piece just came to me and it all flowed. I knew then it was ready to move forward on.

[ET] I love the Simon Rosati’s art you’ve shown. How did you two come to work together on this?

[Bryan Wiegele] Simon is an amazingly talented guy. He and I actually met on my previous project, a puzzle game calle ‘dillos. Simon did the character art for all of the story images in that game and I knew then he’d be a perfect fit for the Red Queen project.

[ET] Did you think from the beginning to make this into an adventure game?

[Bryan Wiegele] It was originally my intention to build a game out of the Oz and Wonderland crossover but the reality of getting funding to do a game is pretty harsh so I took a step back and thought to take it one step at a time. The first move is to get the story and world out there to people so they can see the vision and when the time comes to raise the money for a game, people will already see the potential.

[ET] How far along is the design for this game?

[Bryan Wiegele] It’s pre-production. I’ve got the idea of execution in my head, the gameplay, etc. but right now it’s still early and there’s constantly more ideas going into the plan.

[ET] What kind of style are you planning for it? Will it be a classic 2D point and click adventure?

[Bryan Wiegele] I’d actually love to do this as a third person point and click. I’ve only ever done first person adventure games in the past and with this project I want to try something different. I’ve always loved 3rd person point and click games but the cost of doing them is greater than doing first -person.

[ET] Will the adventure follow the story of the graphic novel, or will it have a different story using this setting and characters?

[Bryan Wiegele] The game would use the story presented in the graphic novel as a backdrop. Since it’s a game, it will include a lot more content to explore and learn about.

[ET] Anything else you want to tell us about the graphic novel or the adventure game?

[Bryan Wiegele] This really is a wonderful project and if we’re fortunate enough to get the chance to get to where we want to be and show off the vision we’ve got, I think a lot of people will love it.

[ET] Thanks a lot for answering my questions, and I wish you the best of luck with this project.

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

The interview is now available on my web page but I’ll leave this copy here.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Never heard for this project before. I backed it up…

Joined 2005-06-30

PM

Good Morning Adventure Gamers!

We are down to the last 72 hours of our campaign to raise the money for our “The Red Queen of Oz” graphic novel drive.

While this campaign is for the funds to develop and publish the story, it’s additionally intended to lay the groundwork to build a fan base so we can eventually turn it into a 3rd person point and click adventure game. It does not say this on the site because I did not want to confuse people with our goals.

For as little as $10 you will receive copies of the first two issues.  There are even more rewards for showing your support! Please check out the page and see for yourself!

We’re a little more than 50% funded and with your help we can succeed!

This is a project we’re very passsionate about and I hope you can see the potential for this becoming an adventure game as well!

If you cannot afford to support the project through pledging, I ask you to share our project with anyone you think would appreciate what we’re doing.  We need the word of mouth to find our audience!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask Smile

-Bryan

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1065983707/the-red-queen-of-oz-full-color-issues-1-and-2?ref=home_location

Image Attachments

RedQueenofOZ_Wallpaper_Final_small_ag.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Never cared for Wonderland nor Oz, but gotta say I LOVE the art style. I’ll be sure to share this project with friends!

Joined 2005-06-30

PM

Thank you, Kasper!

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

I agree. I’d love to see this art on an adventure game.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I pledged, sounds like it could be really good. Plus I’ve really enjoyed Emeral City Confidential :-)

I hope they can make it! I’m still a bit sad that Pendulo couldn’t make it with Day One.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

BWiegele - 12 September 2012 12:35 PM

For as little as $10 you will receive copies of the first two issues.  There are even more rewards for showing your support! Please check out the page and see for yourself!

I wouldn’t describe $5 per issue as a ‘little’, unless one happens to be very gullible. And not very long ago doing such a thing would be called ‘buying something’, rather than ‘being rewarded’.

Joined 2012-06-05

PM

cbman - 13 September 2012 12:07 PM

I wouldn’t describe $5 per issue as a ‘little’, unless one happens to be very gullible. And not very long ago doing such a thing would be called ‘buying something’, rather than ‘being rewarded’.

I agree regarding the value, but not regarding ‘buying something’. When you pledge on Kickstarter you’re not buying a product, you support its creation. People often pay a lot more than they would for a product. The rewards do provide an incentive, and are often created in a way that the lower end ones are good value when compared to buying the full price product on release, but they are not meant to represent buying the product, which is why things like getting a thank you note or your name in the credits are there.

I do think that offering something which feels like good value is important for many people, and I’m certainly likely to pledge more if I feel the reward is good value. It’s still something which I’d do only because I want to support the project, because outside of Kickstarter I’d just wait for a Steam sale or something like that, and pay less than I would on Kickstarter.

Joined 2005-06-30

PM

We’re down to our final 30 hours! We’ve come a long way but we still have a ways to go! If you can see this potential realized as a graphic adventure game like I do, I ask for you to show your support! $3,000 is actually not that far off and we can still achieve this if we can find the people who believe in it.  If you cannot afford to contribute, I ask you to please show your support by sharing our page with anyone you think would be interested.  Thank you!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1065983707/the-red-queen-of-oz-full-color-issues-1-and-2?ref=home_location

@CBMan, Thanks for your comment.  Kickstarter isn’t about “selling” merchandise.  It’s a forum for small creative projects to get an opportunity to be funded directly by the people who believe in it.  The rewards are simply a way to say “thank you” and have memorabilia that you were a supporter of a project that otherwise would not have happened.  I understand your comment about “buying” and you’re right.  If we were “selling” the rewards, they would not be $5 each.  But you’re not “buying” the books, you’re contributing to the (very expensive) cost of developing them.  If we made rewards out to be the “cost” of doing them, there’d be no point in running this campaign since we’d only raise enough money to manufacture the rewards, not actually develop the project.  I hope that makes sense.

Joined 2005-06-30

PM

We’re down to our last 7 hours! We’re up over 60% funded! If you’re holding out to make me sweat, you’ve succeeded! Wink

-Bryan

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Too bad it didn’t secure funding. With the interesting concept and your amazing art style I bet you guys would have more luck trying to pitch this as a game rather than a comic. It seems like a story fit for being told through episodes.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

They’ve relaunched a new kickstarter campaign: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1065983707/the-red-queen-of-oz-a-graphic-novel-project

I really hope they can make it this time! (I pledged my 10$ again)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

As a comic book fan, I wish them well in their campaign. It seems that their goal will be easily reached this time. (I pledged again of course…)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top